The Warning

This Is Not Like The Dramas That You See, Get It?

The next day. 

Jung Shin came in early to do some inventory with the medications in the clinic. As he passed by Jong Hyun's cubicle, he greeted the two content writers. And then, he and the vampire guy exchanged thoughtful glances. It occurred to the vampire boy that the nurse was an hour early. Knowing that Shin Hye was there beside the other writer, Jung Shin did his best not to mention about the kiss, and instead, turned to a neutral subject.

"You might wonder why I am so early," Jung Shin told him.

"I know," Jong Hyun replied before looking at Shin Hye from the periphery of his vision. "You miss your Mofy stuffed toy, that's why."

Jung Shin smiled. He was fond of stuffed toys, and he had wished that Yong Hwa had given him the Rilakkuma stuffed toy so his Mofy won't be lonely. He smirked and went to the clinic. The first thing he did was to greet his Mofy rabbit stuffed toy sitting on his desk and play with its cute ears with a heart center.

"Mofy-ya, bogo shipda..." he crooned. "Mofy and I are going to work hard today, ne?"

(For those who are not familiar with Mofy, you can check the search engine for Mofy the rabbit :3 A white rabbit version of Rilakkuma )

So, he grabbed the rabbit toy and showered it with hugs and kisses. Then, he placed the rabbit back on the desk and began to grab his medication notebook to start inventory. He wanted to keep busy so he could check up on Yong Hwa coming in. However, a side of him wanted to hold back, knowing that there is a meeting today, and Yong Hwa was busy preparing for this.

****

Ga In came in the office and was greeted by the people there. Jong Hyun, Min Hyuk, and Woori came to her and led her to the conference room, where the meeting was to take place. Yong Hwa, who was still inside his office, was informed of his secretary that the general manager of a partner company was already in the next room.

"Ah, gomawoyo, Yoo Jin-ssi," he thanked the secretary.

She bowed and grabbed the folders on her table to be used for the meeting. Yong Hwa followed suit. As he went out of his room, he was about to collide with Shin Hye.

"A... annyeong?" she greeted him awkwardly.

Yong Hwa showed his toothy smile again, and it pierced her heart.

"Are you ready for today's meeting?" he asked, trying to be professional.

"N...ne..."

She was hoping that Jong Hyun and Jung Shin did not tell Yong Hwa that she already had a boyfriend. He was such a bipolar, she thought. He could be sad on one time and be happy on the next. But that was just because, maybe, Yong Hwa was putting his best foot forward for the meeting and was trying to be nice to her to set the good vibes.

She followed him to the conference room. The first thing that Ga In notice was the two coming in--too close to each other. A smile lit up her face and greeted the two. Yong Hwa held Shin Hye's waist and instructed her to take her seat. Shin Hye really did not know what to do, for some spark of electricity hit her waist, as if his touch affected her that much. 

"Ne..."

Yong Hwa took his place beside Ga In, and they began the meeting. The meeting was about adding Ga In's company to the company that Yong Hwa had overseen a week before Shin Hye's birthday. It had blessing from the owner of the company, who wanted to have another Korean company that will be tied up with his in an overseas setting. As the managers talked on and on, the employees listened intently.

"We might be sending some of you to Singapore for work," Yong Hwa said. "Though, we have to assess who will be prepared to leave Korea. But then, it also depends on who is willing to be assigned there."

"The same goes for those in my company, and Jung-jangnim and I will have a meeting with them tomorrow."

The meeting ended at lunch time, and Yong Hwa's secretary informed everyone that the lunch is ready at the company cafeteria. It was a good way to utilize the area because some of the employees would often walk out during lunch to eat instead of patronizing the food at the cafeteria. They had to eat fast, though, because the meeting will resume in the afternoon. Shin Hye waited for everyone to be out, Ga In included. The general manager noticed that Shin Hye seemed to linger, and she thought it might be because Yong Hwa was also in the room. She smirked her foxy grin and walked out to leave the two behind. Yong Hwa, after arranging his files, saw Shin Hye still standing near her seat.

"Are you not going to eat?"

"Uhm... can we talk?" she asked.

Yong Hwa smiled and took hold of the phone on the desk in the conference room. He informed his secretary to take meals for two to his office, and to let her eat and enjoy with the other employees.

"Algesseumnida," Yoo Jin remarked on the other line.

After putting down the phone, he told Shin Hye to follow him to his office.

****

Yong Hwa waited until Yoo Jin had placed the said meals inside his office. Then, she walked out of the door to eat at the cafeteria, shutting the door behind her to let her boss and the content writer eat in peace.

Inside Yong Hwa's office, he had a tea table where he could drink tea or eat with his visitor. And it is where he and Shin Hye held their meal.

"I hope you don't mind me bringing you here instead," Yong Hwa said. "I'm sorry for being sullen to you yesterday..."

Shin Hye bit her lips. She remembered herself locking in the restroom yesterday to cry when Yong Hwa was being cold.

"I'm... I'm sorry too for not telling Min Ho that you are my best friend."

"Why did you hide it?" he asked in concern, trying to make her feel that she could tell him anything rather than hide some things.

By now, Shin Hye was trying to defend herself, for she felt that Yong Hwa was making her guilty.

"Well... I... he was not asking... so..."

"Arasseo..." he solemnly replied before silently digging on his food. "Jjam... you wanted to... tell me something?"

Shin Hye nodded. She knew he'd be hurt with what she would say, but she rather would tell him the truth than hide it. And it was when she told him that Min Ho is already her boyfriend.

Yong Hwa's fork stuck on his steak. He could not move.

"G...gwaenchanha?" she asked silently.

Yong Hwa could feel his heart crashing to bits, but what could he do when it was clear that his best friend was really not in love with him? And what added to the injury was the fact that Shin Hye got herself a boyfriend only a day of knowing him. How fast!

"Chukhahae..." he told her, holding his own tears.

"Yong..."

"Well, you have the right to be in love, right?" he asked, trying to smile. "Who am I to say no?"

Shin Hye was torn between being happy and feeling guilty.

"A true friend supports his friend. Don't look at my pain and tears. Just be thankful that I accepted your love life," Yong Hwa said. "And I can move on later."

Shin Hye smiled as she held his hand.

"Gomawo..."

"Well, we will still be best friends, geuchi?"  he asked and she nodded.

Then, his mien went solemnly as he sighed. He knew that Min Ho is up to no good. How could a decent guy hook up with a girl just a day after they met? It sure looked like stuffs of playboys, and Yong Hwa wanted to protect his best friend from one. As for Shin Hye, she realized that the Lee guys might not have told him so that she'd rather break it up to him rather than Yong hearing it from someone else.

"I have to warn you, though," he told her.

Shin Hye's heart went glum. Was he not really happy for her?

"You knew each other just recently, and ended up as a couple immediately. Don't give in to him when he wants you to go further with him. Save your purity, and don't entrust your heart too much to him. You might get hurt."

Shin Hye nodded, but frowned a bit. She hated how the guys were telling her to be careful. Well, guys know best when it comes to other guys. And Yong Hwa was warning her because Ga In was warning him too.

"If in case he hurts you, I will box the life out of that man, remember that," he said.

"I will be careful..."

"I am saying it because I am your best friend," he rationalized.

"Ara..."

"I don't want you to end up crying when he leaves you after taking your all."

"Ara... but why can't you be happy for me?"

It was a bitter pill, difficult to swallow. Yong Hwa turned his gaze as he confessed. "You are my best friend, and I should be happy, right? But I can't be too complacent, not when you just know each other recently."

Shin Hye wanted to tell him that some girls are dating, yet are dying on waiting on where the relationship is heading, and now that she herself is in one, the road was clear and she need not wait. Why is everybody so bitter? But then, trying to see Yong Hwa's point, she nodded.

"Ara... geokjeongma..." she assured him so as not to make him worry.

"Geunde... I am just reminding you that, in case he will make you cry, my shoulders are still broad and strong to catch your tears."

Shin Hye stopped. For her, that was his way of maintaining the friendship.

"Gomawo..." she smiled as she reached to hold his hand.

As Yong Hwa reached to hold hers, he spoke.

"Singapore is a nice place to work," he told her. "Do you want to take your chance there?"

Shin Hye could not reply. He told her that the dream that she wanted to have might be found there.

"You had always wanted to write like Eric Lai Kwan, or be a novelist like Woori," Yong Hwa told her. "Why don't you give it a shot? Be a digital author and sell your e-books not only here but worldwide?"

Shin Hye hesitated again. She wanted books that she can hold. On the other hand, a digital book is within reach globally.

"You can start writing and publishing here, and by the time you will be settled there in Singapore and have friends, you can sell your book," was his encouragement.

She thought it would be a good way to start. A good way to have a dream that she could call hers. A dream that can make herself proud. But that would mean being away from Min Ho too.

"Do you want to try?" he asked.

"Uhm... can I think about it?" she asked.

"Geurae..." he whispered, assuring her that he could wait.

As they ate, Yong Hwa congratulated himself. He was encouraging his best friend. Surely, if Shin Hye would go to Singapore, she would extend her dreams there.

"Well, you can try out and see Singapore for yourself, have a vacation and be on a business trip," he told her.

"Okay, I will go and see what Singapore is like," she finally agreed.

Yong Hwa smiled his lovely grin.

"I will ask Noona if we can suggest going to Singapore on Saturday."

Saturday. That would be her date with Min Ho. What could she do?

"Wae?" he asked in concern.

"Uhm... I would be having a date with... uhm... never mind..." she explained.

"Ah... okay... So I guess... I could postpone the business trip..."

"No, no, that's fine," she finally replied. "I'll go. Work is work. Lovelife is lovelife."

Yong Hwa smiled. He finally was able to get his point across. That is to give Shin Hye something hard and to test her priorities. If Shin Hye wanted to come along, she should forgo her personal schedule unless it is family matters. And business deals could not wait. He smiled that, despite the fact that Shin Hye had a boyfriend, she was still dedicated to her work.

"Arasseo," he told her. "I will suggest it to Noona this afternoon for the continuation of our meeting."

Shin Hye's heart clenched. She had prioritized work over love, so she had to cancel her date with her namchin.

"Noona and I will be coming with you and others who will join," Yong Hwa said. "And because it is also part vacation, the two of us can stroll like we used to."

Shin Hye nodded. It suddenly dawned on her that she missed Yong Hwa and that they had not have a vacation together for such a long time. Perhaps, a trip to Singapore might make their friendship stronger.

For Yong Hwa, it would be a way for Shin Hye to realize some things and to weigh options properly. He hoped that Shin Hye will realize in that place that, no matter how long it will take, he will still wait for her.

 

~~~~