#2 Rising Tensions

Love at Victoria Falls

"Ah choo!" Tiffany sneezed for the umpteenth time so much so that she felt as if her nose was about to drop off. She patted the bed for the air-conditioner controller to increase the temperature and clumsily, found it beneath herself together with her cell phone. Out of occupational habit, the Creative Director checked her inbox and only found work-related messages but none of care and concern for her. She sighed at her own predicament. Tiffany had no close friends to speak of unless they required favours from her and she even doubted that her ever-so-busy father had opened her message about this company trip.  

The sick person flunk herself onto the bed as she messaged her abused nose. Her body was also aching, especially her shoulder muscles and the palms and the back of her hands had been skinned by those coarse rocks in the river. What annoyed her most was that her impeccably done nails was now a ruin. Thanks Taeyeon. She thought bitterly but when the images of the nearly-drowned girl came to her mind, her bitterness ebbed away and she felt almost amused.

"Ah choo!" She sneezed into the tissue again, balled it up and aimed it at the small bin in the room. Missed. Again. Her hotel room had been littered with tissue papers ever since she caught a flu from the river escapade.

Then there came knocking on the door. Thinking that it might be for room service and too lazy to drag her body out of her bed, the girl had let the knocking go on. Yet, those knockings did not stop but only grew more urgent.

With the blanket over her shoulders, she dragged it across the carpeted floor to answer the door.

“Hey, are you okay?!” A voice called from the other side of the door and Tiffany knew immediately who it was.

"What do you want?" Tiffany’s voice sounded raspy but hoped it had conveyed her annoyance. 

"Taeyeon here." The girl called out earnestly.

Tiffany almost rolled her eyes. Of course I know who you are. Your shouts for help in that river rang in my ears non-stop. Tiffany unlocked the door clumsily and scampered over to her bed almost immediately leaving the door open carelessly for her guest.

When both the girls met had met with an unfortunate accident at the Zambezi river, they had clung on to each other for life support. Almost as if the rescue team had anticipated the accident, they arrived shortly after their kayak had capsized. Coupled with their strong will to survive, both returned relatively safe and in that short period of time the two seemed to have forged a special bond with each other. However, since Taeyeon only suffered a few bruises to her knees and swallowed a few mouthfuls of water while Tiffany had taken ill, the Creative Director could not help but feel bitter about it.

Besides, Tiffany was the one who had found the large rock and clung onto it preventing themselves from being washed further and Taeyeon had to cling onto her body for support. The miserable Creative Director’s fingers slipped several times on the rough edges and tore her skin. Further adding on to her misfortune, she had scraped her hands and legs against some nasty underwater ledge as well.


That intimate moment during the crisis, had not completely helped in dispelling their loathing for each other. Yet, one thing was for sure, Taeyeon was grateful for the selfless help that the pink-girl had extended to her. It was most definitely unexpected and Taeyeon must admit that she was slightly touched by the hostile girl’s actions.


Though Tiffany was mildly surprise when she realised Taeyeon had not come empty-handed, she tried to not let her curiosity show. Her guest had a bowl of steaming-hot porridge cupped in between her hands. Because her hands were occupied, Taeyeon had to use her leg to widen the door and edge through the small crack since Tiffany had not hold the door for her.

Sighs... Still the same even when she is sick, unhelpful. Taeyeon thought. She was almost tempted to just leave the bowl of porridge there and flee the room but she knew she could not. Not when she had caused so many wounds on the pink girl and not tended to them.


"Here." Taeyeon settled the bowl of porridge on a space in front of Tiffany.


The patient eyed the bowl of goo suspiciously but deep down she was almost grateful. "You made it?"


"Yea, of course, bought a portable stove and went to the local market for a bowl of rice," the sarcasm in Taeyeon's voice was overflowing and it did not take a witty woman to know it.


Tiffany's eyebrow shot up sharply. Who knew that this girl could be so sarcastic? The patient would have come up more witty rebuttals if not for the state she was in. She will let this pass, she thought or maybe not.


"Nah, called for special service from the kitchen," Taeyeon flapped a hand while saying as if to clarify any doubts of sarcasm.


"Yea, I figured that part out myself, thanks," Tiffany countered.


Both glared at each other for a damn long time. 
 

What the hell, why is she still so stubborn and mean when she is sick? I've never met any one half so obnoxious before. She did not even thank me for that bowl of porridge. What is the point of looking pretty if you have a character that isn't well-liked? Those thoughts swam in Taeyeon's mind.

I'm sick and yet she is sarcastic and all. What happened to her -on-lollipop image? Why is she staring at me like this? Is she expecting me to thank her for this goo? Hell, no way! I am in this state all because of her, so much for requesting to ride in a kayak.
 

It felt almost like a staring contest as both girls had their eyes locked onto each other. It had been a long time since Tiffany had gotten into such an open conflict with another person and though she felt her antics childish, she could not help it. 

After a moment however, Tiffany did the unthinkable and she blamed it on her illness and her hunger. "Thanks," the patient muttered it unwillingly and chided herself later. What the hell is wrong with me?


Taeyeon was taken aback by her response as well. She blinked rapidly, searching for words. "U-Uh... For the porridge?"


No, for causing my plight. Tiffany bit back her remarks and realised that her self-restraint was much better than she had expected. Normally she would not have cared if she had hurt anyone else with her sarcastic remarks but it would do no good in this situation and she knew. After all, she had already given in by thanking Taeyeon first and those large, round eyes of hers was hard to stare into.

"Yea, for this mush." The patient started spooning up the porridge and was soon taking mouthfuls after mouthfuls of it. 

Taeyeon was momentarily surprised as she watched the sick girl eat so eagerly and remembered to speak after a while. "You're welcome. Thanks for saving me as well..." she was suddenly shy as she remembered how she had grabbed onto the pink girl so helplessly. Taeyeon had practically touched all over the pink girl’s body, she could feel her cheeks growing hot just from the thought of it.

"Well, it's nothing, I did it so as to not make myself look like a jerk," the patient replied and that arrogance in her tone snapped Taeyeon back to her senses.

"Tch," Taeyeon scoffed and waved her hand in the air again, "whatever. Anyway, we're heading off soon, want me to bring you any pictures? They say those lion cubs have the ability to melt people's heart." Probably not yours though, even if you did have one in the first place.

"No thank you, not in the least interested in animals.”   

The same goes for humans. Taeyeon thought. The girl nodded afterwards. "Okay." It was just the answer she had expected, the only surprise was that she had not used nastier words.

Taeyeon had been snapping still shots of animals and almost every other inanimate object that she found 'attractive' or 'interesting' in her own opinion. The tour group had been dissolved to allow the tour members to roam freely for two hours in the wild and Taeyeon was beyond grateful for this arrangement.

"Hey, wait up!" Tiffany called up to her temporary photographer in her raspy voice, blowing into her used piece of tissue every now and then.


Oddly enough, the patient had not only changed her mind for Taeyeon to bring back photos but had even asked to be brought along despite of her condition. 
 

"A-ah choo!" Tiffany sent another spray of mucus into her tissue. "Ah! Damn this flu!" She cursed.

"Cursing won't make you any better or allow you to go even faster," Taeyeon merely commented in between her shots as she adjusted her lenses professionally, "here take this." The shorty passed her a packet of unopened tissue.

"Thanks." Tiffany accepted it without hesitation and fumbled as she opened them in haste. The Creative Director could already feel the next wave of sneeze upon her. “Wait for me,” the flu-ridden girl yelled out as she lumbered after the photographer.   

Just then, the pair stumbled upon a pair of lion cubs and came to an abrupt stop. "Oh my god!! So cute so cute!!" Taeyeon broke out into a half jog towards the cubs and began clicking furiously on the camera. One of the lion cubs jerked cutely when Tiffany let out a mega loud sneeze. Timely it was, one of the lion cubs broke out into a series of small sneeze, jerking every once it did so.

Taeyeon could not help but let out a cute 'awh' at its actions. "Too cute, too cute," Taeyeon chimed, "it's imitating you!"

Tiffany scowled. She was never fond of babies, much less baby animals.

"Hey, soften up a little. I know you are not a fan of animals but surely you will find baby animals cute?" She asked hopefully.
"Nope. I hate young animals more than the adult ones, the same for infants," Tiffany spoke as a matter-of-factly then strode off. Those crying pink things demanded too much attention.

Taeyeon sighed, it seemed as if nothing was ever to the pink girl's likings. Taeyeon watched the figure's back view as she thought.

Taeyeon continued clicking away as the pair strolled in the wilderness. The Sun began to set before they knew it but the two were too engrossed, apparently in separate things. Taeyeon as always, had been too occupied and mesmerised by every single animal. She later realised that her partner seemed to finally found interest in something else.

Tiffany had been staring into the yellowish-orange sky ahead of them, her face reflected sentiments, she looked somewhat sorrowful even. The black outline of the mammoth animals against the sunset backdrop would have made this picture a beautiful one but not nearly perfect. Taeyeon knew what was missing in the entire scene, it was exactly the emotions that Tiffany had expressed. It was so apt for the entire imagery. Taeyeon smiled as she clicked the shutters, silently, capturing both the girl and the perfect setting in her art piece.

Usually a person who exudes a most cunning sense of alertness, Tiffany had not even noticed that Taeyeon had directed her camera lens at her and much less to know that she had been included in her pictures gallery. A tiny crease formed in between her brows as she reminisced those times. Times where she had witnessed the sun setting on numerous occasions, reflecting different emotions each time she observed the entire process. Sorrow, happiness, disappointment. How long has it been since she last seen a sun set? She could not even remember. This particular one however, made her feel a weird sort of loneliness. Sure, she was surrounded by people in her workplace, in the cafeteria she frequent, she even found people who were more than willing to entertain her in so many other places but she felt so alone. I really am a pathetic loner after all. A small, sorrowful smile crept into her face. She was never one to be pitied, much less to exercise self-pity but right at that moment, she had to admit that she was indeed a pitiful creature. Now, she was almost glad she could bask in the company of a clumsy girl who turned out to be a good photographer.

Taeyeon’s lips were pressed tightly together as she took the tenth photo of her partner. The photographer was beginning to wonder if the arrogant tourist she had known from before was the same as this silent, sentimental girl before her. I don't think that girl is as bad as she seems. After all, she saved me. Her cheeks flushed red at the thought of that again.
 

Taeyeon had gone to the washroom and was about to join the tour group for their dinner until she witnessed a commotion.

"Go away, you punk! You've got no rights to even be standing on the grounds of this grand hotel!" 

People's heads turned to where the yelling was taking place.

Even from a distance, Taeyeon could hear the vile words the pink-girl had used on a child. Fortunately, most of the people at the hotel lobby could not understand Korean. If not, they could have pelted eggs at that vicious girl for insulting a kid like that. The little bit of admiration and respect Taeyeon had for Tiffany from the incident evaporated immediately.

Taeyeon strode up to the adult, determined to give her a lecture no matter what. "Why the hell would you be yelling at a kid?!"

That interference from Taeyeon had only served to inflame Tiffany’s anger.


"What?!" Tiffany's attention turned towards her as she screeched, "Mind your own business you nosey latecomer!"

Taeyeon's mouth fell open disbelievingly, her nose flared and her angry breaths were audible. She had badly wanted to shout back at that senseless, petty, incorrigible woman but the other party never gave her a chance to. Tiffany flicked her hair right in Taeyeon's face and strode off, muttering inaudibly under her breaths.

Taeyeon ground her teeth together in anger. Why the hell would someone like her exist! I'd rather live ten years lesser than to meet her in my life!

Taeyeon's attention later returned to the kid Tiffany had scolded but surprisingly he was nowhere to be found. 

 

Taeyeon’s anger meter eventually subsided by dinner time. The tour group dined together at a local restaurant but Tiffany was absent. Taeyeon was mildly surprise when she could not spot her at the gathering. Probably too ashamed to dine with us.

A small group of tourists had been comparing and sharing with each other the photos that they have taken earlier and this gave Taeyeon the idea to check the pictures from her DSLR camera as well.

She scrolled through the images, the smile on her face growing wider each time she passed a satisfactory shot. Her smiles vanished suddenly when she came upon the set of photos she took of her ‘obnoxious’ partner. She bit into her bottom lip deeper as she scrolled on to the next picture of that girl. Her eyes squinting slightly as she passed one of the photos. Was that a tear or was it a reflection? That girl could actually shed tears?

"I am getting coffee, would you like some?" A girl who had introduced herself as Sunny earlier offered her, disrupting her flow of emotions abruptly.

"Sure," Taeyeon replied with a smile briefly, her eyes then wandered off to her surroundings. She really isn't here.

The group had their stomachs filled and were ready to head back to their hotel. On their way back, Taeyeon spotted a familiar figure hunched over in a local cafe. It was her kayak partner. She had let her wavy jet black hair cascade down one side of her shoulder.  She was working on her laptop as would a typical workaholic. A frown deeply etched into her forehead as she typed furiously, scratching the side of her head every now and then. The look of concentration in those dark brown orbs with her and the horn-rimmed spectacles that rested on her high nose bridge accentuated the look of seriousness in her.

Taeyeon found herself pouting grumpily at that girl but unable to take her eyes off her. This part of her grouchy partner, being frustrated as she always was, having a dissatisfied expression as always as well seemed much likable than usual but Taeyeon could not describe why. It was probably due to the set of photos she had been examining earlier. Despite her outward appearance of chic glamour and quick temper, Taeyeon seemed to have peered into something deeper within the girl through those pictures which she had taken. Those soulful gaze of her partner into the horizon and the loneliness that emanated all spoke of a girl with a more profound character buried beneath that sheen of glamour.   

Shortly after letting out a frustrated sigh, Tiffany went on to gather her paraphernalia at god's speed then strutted out of the cafe. The deeply engrossed then snapped to her attention and quickly scrambled behind a sturdy looking tree so as to avoid being spotted by her. This girl is odd. It was then that Taeyeon realised that she had not even known the girl’s name. Taeyeon bit her lip part out of annoyance that her kayak partner had not had the common courtesy to reveal her name and part out of curiosity. Several modern names for that grouchy girl came to Taeyeon’s mind. She loosed a giggle and when realised she had done so, Taeyeon mentally chided herself. A little confused about why she have been so affected by the hard-to-pleased partner, Taeyeon repaired to her hotel room that night.

Taeyeon’s night had been plagued by nightmares. Once, it was such a vivid dream that she woken up shivering to violently that even hugging her thighs close to her chest had not help. The girl snatched up her phone to dial for her friend but later thought otherwise, she thought it unwise to worry her friend. Her thoughts then unconsciously drifted to the events that had taken place during the past few days and to her surprise they seemed to have a more calming effect than expected. Taeyeon even laughed when she recalled that sarcastic exchange with the pink girl in the pink girl’s hotel room. 

 

**

Edited A

 

 

/N: 

Hi guys, I would first like to thank you guys for the subs >< it may not seem like a lot but to me it is. I welcome new readers and welcome back old ones alike.

I hope this edit will really make this a marked improved read for many of you and I really do welcome comments to make this better :) 

I had loads of fun writing the quarrels between TaeNy because we are finally seeing Taeyeon's fiesty side.

Aside from Taeyeon's fiestiness, this chapter also reveals a more melancholic/lonelier side to Tiffany the jerk xD

It might seem rather ridiculous to you guys for Taeyeon to not have known Tiffany's name even though they had that many interactions, be it pleasant or unpleasant, with each other but it is something which I, from time to time, have encountered. I swear it is not because of nonchalence but it sometimes slip from our minds to give people or ask others for their names xD So hopefully you guys can go easy on that part :D

Finally... the reason for Tiffany shouting at the pitiful(?) boy will be revealed in the next chapter :) in the previous version there was an additional scene in this chapter but I have decided to shift it to the next chapter for fear that long chapters may bore you all :D

P/s: Bear with me as I trudge through the edits :D 

Until then, see you guys! And thank you once again :)