Chapter one

Affecting you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Jangmi unnie, look at my drawing!" A girl around five years old with her hair tied in two braids and the cutest face ever beamed to a girl as she held out a piece of paper to her with excited eyes. 

"Chorom-ah what have you painted this time?" The older one asked with a smile as she turned away from the window she was looking out and bent down until she was almost the same height as Chorom. 

Jangmi put her straight, black hair behind her ears. Her hair only reached down to above her shoulders since she recently cut off her long hair extensions. Her skin was pale and her face full of sincerity and innocence. Whenever you saw her or talked to her you would always end up walking pass her with a smile just by looking at her calm, peaceful and smiling face. Some people said that it was like looking at an angel. 

"It's the hospital! With you and me next to it!" The little girl smiled big and proudly. 

Jangmi turned her eyes to the colorful piece of paper. 

Indeed it was the hospital, with two persons with big smiles on their faces next to it. 

The painting left a smile on Jangmi's lips. "It's wonderful Chorom.." 

The smile on Chorom became even bigger, if possible, and she ran back to the room where she painted it to come up with new and colorful pictures to show off and later give them all to Jangmi.

No one could have guessed that this cute and bright girl was suffering from a brain tumor. It wasn't much visible right now but the bulge on the left side of her head was slowly starting to show.

Her parents couldn't visit often as they worked in Seoul which was pretty far from here.

At first, Chorom was always sad, always crying but when Jangmi began to tend to the girl, she opened up, smiled brighter and became happier.

Not even the nurses could make her open up but Jangmi did. 

The place where they lived, the hospital, was a children's hospital and almost at the same time an orphanage. It was located in the countryside, where the air was fresh and the trees and flowers were many. A freshness you can't find anywhere in those bigger cities. During the night you could always see the stars you couldn't even dream of seeing in the bigger cities.

Lady Marie's children's hospital was a place for children who suffered from diseases that was difficult to cure, a place where children could come to and live their life to the fullest despite their heartbreaking situations. A place where their parents could leave them without having to worry about them while they worked to pay for their child's or children's hospital fees. 

Lady Marie's children's hospital wasn't a place you could live in for free but it was a lot cheaper than the hospitals in the city and being close to the nature made one feel a lot more at ease. 

This hospital was a blessing. It was a gift from a lady from England a long time ago. It is said that she met a guy here whom she fell in love with and married. Unfortunately her husband passed away in an illness and to commemorate him she built this hospital and even today it's run by a part of the money she left behind.

The hospital wasn't a miracle place, one still had to pay fees to leave their children here but it was at a price the most could afford. One could say that it was almost like an orphanage because of all the children here. Jangmi preferred to call it a "second home" which she taught the kids to see this place as. 

No matter how cheaper it was here than in town, Jangmi's heart always broke when she saw parents coming to pick up their children for the last time because they couldn't afford to have them here anymore. The way they bowed as an apologize time after time for putting their child here an extra day without paying, the small panic in their eyes as they said that they hadn't found a new hospital yet and the hurting look on the nurse's faces for not being able to help.

The world was cruel. 

No matter what, in the end money would always be the reason for the disasters in this world and the happiness. 

The hospital can't offer what the bigger ones in Seoul could but it was enough. Having those bright and cheerful children around her was more than enough to call this place her home. It was more than enough for the people who lived here

Being able to see the wonderful stars that could be seen when darkness overtook the sky was one of the things she loved the most here. Those stars couldn't be seen in the cities, if she did see them, it didn't feel real. 

With a smile, Jangmi stood up and walked to the room where Chorom went. It was the playroom and as soon as she entered it was full of life, children running a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter