Chapter 6

The Senatorial Candidate

 

The next day, Sunday, Kris didn’t have anything on his schedule. It was a rare free time since the announcement of his win. It was also the only time they could finally go to the test center and get samples taken from him and Soojin for the paternity test. Normally, the test center should have been closed on Sundays. But Suho pulled some strings so they could be accommodated and it was also for confidentiality purposes. At least nobody else was there to catch Senator Wu having a paternity test.

 

Only the three of them would be going to the test center, leaving Senator Wu’s entourage behind, a rest day of some sort for them. It was to avoid drawing attention on them. It would really look suspicious if a group of men in suits would suddenly show up in the test center which was supposed to be closed.

 

“Wow, Sentator Wu, you look gorgeously hot!” Kyungsoo blurted out upon seeing Kris come out of his room.

 

The Senator was caught off-guard by the compliment, which eventually turned to embarrassment. He had not received praise for his good looks so openly before. He was not inattentive or deaf, he had heard his staff or just people around whisper among themselves how y or handsome he was. He just didn’t pay attention because he didn’t really put much thinking about how he looked. Yixing was the one in-charge of taking care of that.

 

“Come here. Let me help you with that.” Kyungsoo motioned a hand for Kris to come and sit beside him on the sofa with Soojin on his lap.

 

“No, it’s okay. I can do this,” the Senator declined hesitantly. It wasn’t that he didn’t need help. He was just feeling uncomfortable after hearing Kyungsoo’s admiring comment.

 

“Come on, let me help. Unless you wanna look weird then by all means reject my help.”

 

Kris knew Kyungsoo was just exaggerating. He just needed help in pulling the sleeves of his shirt up his arms, that wouldn’t really make him look weird. But, he gave in anyway and proceeded to sit beside the pair on the sofa.

 

He stared at Kyungsoo’s face as the man busied his hands with making sure that his sleeves were properly pulled up. He noticed that the smaller male bit his lower lip when he was concentrating. It made Kyungsoo innocently y which he shouldn’t be thinking about. But he couldn’t help it. He could see the younger male’s face up close. His long lashes, his perfect nose, his smooth cheeks, and his plump, rosy pink lips. Those lips he just had a dream about last night.

 

To distract himself, Kris blinked and shook his head. He commanded himself to get a grip. He already had a fiancé and wanting to kiss another man would certainly have that compromised.

 

Soojin, who was settled on Kyungsoo’s lap, kept touching the latter’s arms as if she was stopping Kyungsoo from helping Kris. The angel had kept disrupting his Uncle so he wouldn’t do a good job. And Kris was somehow thankful for that. It kept him from staring at Kyungsoo again.

 

“There, now you look more handsome, Mr. Senator. I bet the ladies and gay men would swoon when they see you.” Kyungsoo chimed and tapped the blonde by the shoulder.

 

“It’s Kris. You can call me Kris. It’s been almost a month since we lived together, isn’t it about time you stop addressing me formally?” He mentally smacked himself on the head. Lived together, that didn’t sound right. They didn’t live together. They didn’t have a relationship to begin with. Kyungsoo lived in his apartment, not lived with him.

 

Kyungsoo smiled. “Kris it is.”

 

 

 

They arrived at the test center peacefully. Well, not really. Kyungsoo decided to be a little talkative during the ride. It was as if Kyungsoo had opened up the moment Kris told the former to call him by his first name. Kyungsoo mostly talked about how funny Tao was or how loving Yixing was though. And Kris was surprised by some of the things Kyungsoo told him about his friends that he didn’t know about, especially about the fact that Tao was funny. The bodyguard had been working for him since he started his political career and he had never seen the man crack up.

 

Their samples were taken and Soojin cried. Her cries started as little hiccups and eventually morphed into full out weeping. Kris couldn’t deny it, he felt sorry for the little girl but he stopped himself. He promised he wouldn’t get attached so he would do that. Good thing that Kyungsoo was good at calming Soojin because Kris felt like he couldn’t take in the sight of the crying baby.

 

They were told that the result would come out in a month. It would have only taken a week for the result to come out but since Kris chose to do the legal way—well, he was a Senator after all—with all the legal documents needed, it had to take a month. The Senator was just playing safe so that he could claim lawful rights to Soojin later on if she turned out to be his. Or take legal action if she turned out to be somebody else’s baby if needed.

 

When they arrived back in the apartment, it was almost time for lunch. Kyungsoo would have liked it if they ate out but Kris didn’t give any indication that they would do that. And Kyungsoo didn’t want to impose so he just didn’t say anything. He just set himself to think about what he could cook instead. Since Kris had already given him the grocery budget, he was sure that they had all the ingredients he needed.

 

Kyungsoo cooked something quick but nevertheless a delicious lunch. All three of them at the table; Kyungsoo animatedly fed Soojin while stealing spoonfuls for his own in between, and Kris who never really had a decent home-cooked meal in a long time, thoroughly enjoyed both the food and the company. It was a relatively simple setup but the Senator found himself feeling a little sentimental. It was nice eating with others at his own table—not his office desk, not a table at a restaurant—his home table.

 

“Kris,” the smaller male muttered to get the blonde’s attention. “Why do you not make people call you hyung?” Kyungsoo continued when Kris looked at him.

 

“I was an only child until my mom remarried. I didn’t have a brother to call me hyung and never got used to the idea. I gained a step-brother through marriage but he was older than me so I am the one calling him hyung.” Kris paused before he continued, “It’s either that or I just don’t want to feel older.” Kris let out a small laugh which Kyungsoo mirrored.

 

“But why do people who work for you do not address you by your position?” Kyungsoo followed up. He was really curious since the first time he met Kris.

 

“That’s because my position is just a label, Kyungsoo. It doesn’t make me above them or them below me. And besides, I am only as much a senator as how hard they work to make me one. We share this position so why should I be the only one addressed as such?”

 

“Wow,” was Kyungsoo’s only response. He knew right then why Kris Wu was in public service. The man was ideal. Beneath the packaged up good looks on the verge of superficial, lied a passionate young man willing to serve his country and people.

 

They talked some more—about their lives and plans. While Kris was washing the dishes, Kyungsoo was not far away with Soojin in his arms, rocking the baby girl to sleep for her afternoon nap. As the blonde toweled the dishes to dry, he was already near the end of his story about what started his political career. And when Soojin was finally asleep, Kris was about to start another topic of conversation.

 

Kyungsoo was in awe with Kris’ passion for public service. The Senator was full of hope and confidence that he could make a difference. That somehow, he could make an impact enough to bring changes to the people’s lives. There were a lot of things that he would like to change in the system of how the government worked, and what better way to create change in the system than joining it and make the changes from the inside?

 

Kyungsoo put Soojin in her crib as the Senator waited for him by the door to his and Soojin’s room. They decided to have coffee at Kris’ room balcony over-looking the city to continue their talk. As they dug deep into each other’s stories, they both found a sense of calmness, like they were in the middle of a still ocean, tranquil but temptingly inviting that they wouldn’t want to get out of.

 

They laughed and at times they were serious but overall it was so much fun to be just talking, they even ignored it was already dark and the lights were from the twinkling of the bustling city below. They only stopped when they heard Soojin’s cry from the baby monitor.

 

Cooking for dinner was a little more fun than lunch. This time, Kyungsoo had help with cutting the ingredients. After dinner, all three of them were in front of the TV, Kris watching the eight o’clock news while Kyungsoo and Soojin were playing, and giggling, and cuddling each other. Kris stole glances at the two from time to time and couldn’t help but discreetly smile at the silliness of the pair.

 

When they finally called it a night at ten o’clock, after watching Kyungsoo’s favorite k-drama to Kris’ dismay, the latter helped the younger by opening the door to the room so Kyungsoo could put Soojin back in her crib. Kris waited until Soojin was settled and bid the smaller male good night.

 

“Wait,” Kyungsoo called out and Kris turned around to face him. Kyungsoo walked the small distance between them, stood on his toes, placed his hands on Kris’ shoulders, and kissed the latter on the cheek. “Thank you, for today. I had so much fun.”

 

Kris’ mind was like computer keyboard being smashed by hands, full of incoherent words. He nodded once in acknowledgement that he heard Kyungsoo, but didn’t trust his voice enough to actually say something back. He turned and headed out the door, a whispered good night from Kyungsoo was still heard before he closed the door.

 

He planned on looking through the documents that Minseok asked him to read, but the spot on his cheeks where Kyungsoo’s lips touched burned. He could still feel the younger male’s soft lips against it. He wished the touch went further to the left—where his mouth was.

 

 

 

To be continued….

 

…………………………….

 

Noona’s Notes:

 

Finally! ing finally, right? It was hard finding time to write. And it’s unacceptable to me that I can’t update more often. TT-TT But I’ll try. I promise I’ll try.

 

Thank you for sticking through this. I’m not even sure why this gets new subbies instead of losing them. And thanks for the comments. I really do want to reply to all of them it’s just that I’m afraid I don’t have anything smart to say.

 

Until next time! (Hopefully soon) @sunskyivee