Chapter 17

The Senatorial Candidate

 

After completing the forms and meeting the Chairperson of the Committee that handled requests for inclusion in the government funded medical program, Kyungsoo and Soojin went back to Yixing’s apartment. He was thankful that when they came out of Hongbin’s office, Kris wasn’t there anymore to make things awkward and complicated. When the Senator was surprisingly at the House of Representatives too when they were meeting Hongbin, it was uncomfortable because the tension between the politicians was palpable. Especially when Hongbin had made it known that he was aware about Kris and Kyungsoo’s setup.

 

“You’re back,” Yixing greeted, temporarily diverting his attention from the pile of wood he was putting together in the living room. “Did it go well?”

 

“Yeah, it went great. Hongbin was very helpful,” Kyungsoo answered while trying to decipher what the manager was assembling. “What is this?” He pointed a hand to the pile on the floor.

 

“This is the changing table. Is Soojin asleep?” Kyungsoo just nodded at the question, caressing the baby girl’s hair in the process. “Good thing I assembled the crib first. She can make use of it now.”

 

Yixing left what he was doing and helped Kyungsoo slip Soojin out of the baby carrier. “I’ll put her in her crib,” the manager suggested and Kyungsoo protested. “Let me do this. I missed her anyway,” Yixing insisted and Kyungsoo just let out a snort because the manager just saw Soojin that morning.

 

While Yixing was in the room to put Soojin in the crib, Kyungsoo was studying on how to put up the changing table, picking up where the manager left off. He was about to connect one part to the other when the doorbell rang. He stood and checked the monitor to see who was at the door and was surprised to see Senator Wu’s impatient face as he kept on ringing the doorbell.

 

“What were you thinking telling Congressman Lee about our setup?” Kris yelled the moment he recognized the person who opened the door. “Are you that desperate to let him know that you’re not engaged to me? Do you really want him not to misunderstand you that bad for you to compromise everything?”

 

Kyungsoo was caught off-guard by the Senator’s attacks that he wasn’t able to squeak a single word to defend himself. He turned his back on the Senator and walked into the living room, Kris closely tailing behind him.

 

“Look at me when I’m talking to you!” Kris grabbed Kyungsoo by the arm and spun the smaller male around to face him. Kyungsoo gave him a scared look which somehow lowered his anger a notch.

 

“Yifan, what are you doing?” Yixing interrupted. He just got out of the room after putting Soojin down. He would’ve stayed longer to watch Soojin sleep but he heard Kris’ booming voice in the room that he couldn’t help but check what was going on.

 

“Stay out if this, Xing. I need to talk to Kyungsoo alone,” Kris said without diverting his gaze from Kyungsoo’s terrified face.

 

“If you need to talk to him, keep your voice down. Soojin is sleeping and if she wakes up because you’re so loud, I’m gonna cut your balls and feed it to you.” Yixing went back into the room after voicing his threat.

 

Kris did not respond to Yixing’s warning and tightened his grip on Kyungsoo’s arm when his best friend was nowhere in sight anymore. “So, what? Answer me!”

 

Kyungsoo flinched as he felt Kris’ fingers closing in on his arm, almost penetrating through his bones. His voice was caught in his throat and it seemed that he couldn’t utter even a sound to make the Senator know he was hurting him.

 

The silence from Kyungsoo made the Senator’s agitation go back up to the highest level. “Did you tell him?” When the smaller male still didn’t answer his question, Kris shook Kyungsoo by the arm to force the answer out of him. “What?!”

 

“I didn’t tell him,” Kyungsoo finally responded flatly. “We heard you and Baekhyun talking at the garden during the NMYL ball. I didn’t tell him.” Kyungsoo did not realize he was crying until a sob escaped his mouth. He bit down on his lips to prevent from the rest of his sobs to come out even more.

 

The Senator’s mind went blank and all thoughts were thrown out the window when he saw streaks of tears stained Kyungsoo’s terrified face. He trapped the latter’s face between his hands and swiftly planted a kiss on Kyungsoo’s mouth. It was a long, unmoving kiss but the Senator felt the need to deepen it. The last time they kissed was at the ball and it wasn’t even one that could satisfy.

 

Kris’ lips moved against Kyungsoo’s, urging the smaller male to return the kiss. However, Kyungsoo was in a state of shock by the sudden turn of events. One moment Kris was yelling at him, the next he was kissing him. He felt Kris’ tongue prodding against his lips so he unconsciously parted them for the Senator. That was a mistake because the moment Kris’ tongue started doing wonders inside his mouth, he was intoxicated. His stomach felt light like he had just done a free fall from a thirty-storey building. It seemed that everything had drifted away as Kyungsoo began moving his lips to the rhythm that Kris had created. They were kissing with more passion and more vigor that nothing else mattered aside from the connection they had at that moment.

 

When they separated, Kris leaned his forehead against Kyungsoo’s own with his eyes closed and hands still cupping Kyungsoo’s face, savoring the kiss that they just shared. “I’m sorry I yelled at you,” Kris whispered before he leaned away slightly to look at the smaller male in the eyes. “You didn’t really tell him yourself, right?” The answer to that question was important to the Senator. It would really make a huge difference whether or not Kyungsoo told Hongbin about their setup himself, or if the Congressman only chanced up on finding out the truth.

 

“I didn’t. He found out when you and Baekhyun were talking. He heard it with his own ears so I couldn’t deny it,” Kyungsoo explained, looking down so he wouldn’t be in direct line with Kris’ smoldering gaze of anticipation.

 

The Senator leaned in for another kiss. Another long, unmoving kiss before he circled his arms around Kyungsoo and whispered another apology in the smaller male’s ear. He left after that without saying anything else. He released Kyungsoo from his arms and walked straight for the door, leaving Soojin’s Uncle dazed and confused.

 

“What just happened?” Kyungsoo’s question was only heard by the air around him.

 

 

 

Later that night, still conflicted with the kiss he shared with the Senator, Kyungsoo was absently watching TV with Yixing and Soojin at the living room after dinner. The rest of his afternoon after Kris left was spent helping Yixing assemble everything that was delivered. It somehow took his mind off of things. However, after everything had been done and completed, he found himself staring into the television without particularly paying attention to it. The male news anchor for the nine o’clock news was good-looking but that wasn’t enough for Kyungsoo to be focusing on him. His mind was wandering.

 

On other news, photos of Senator Kris Wu have been circulating the internet on what seemed to be a date with his significant other.

 

At the mention of the Senator’s name, both Kyungsoo and Yixing snapped in attention and glued their gazes onto the TV that brought the news.

 

This wouldn’t have been a controversial photo if not for the other person he was on a date with. Shockingly, the Senator was on a date with the President’s son, Byun Baekhyun, and not his fiancé Do Kyungsoo, who months before was announced to be marrying Senator Wu with no set date yet. The two were seen strolling at a park while holding hands and sharing an ice cream together. No official statements are released yet from both Senator Wu and Byun Baekhyun’s camps.

 

When the news ended, Yixing stood up and picked up his phone, dialing his best friend’s number to ask about the news. Kyungsoo on the other hand couldn’t figure out whether to feel relieved that the secret was out or to feel hurt because he and the Senator shared a kiss hours before. But he shouldn’t feel hurt, should he? Wasn’t it what he wanted? For their fake engagement to be finally broken off and for the public to know the truth about Senator Wu’s real fiancé? That was an opportunity for him to actually be free of the constraints of being known as Kris’ fiancé. But why did it still hurt him?

 

 

 

 


..........................

 

Just a short one to get by. Leave comments and please upvote. I'm gonna be hella busy starting today so I'm gonna be counting on your comments to keep me going with this story.

krisoo_noona