Still Her

Fall Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The skies were dark, and predicted a storm coming their way. If not a storn, heavy rain.

Four year-old Min Ah was once again stuck at home, playing with the housemaids, while her father drowned himself in work.

"Ajhumma..." She softly called out. The little girl was sitting crossed legged on the hardwood floor, head on her propped hands, watching the pouring rain from the nearby window of her room.

An elder lady came up to the young girl. "Neh, Min Ah? Do you need something?" She asked.

The little girl looked at her, hopefully. "When is Uncle Jay coming?"

The elder lady sat down beside her, with an unsure expression. "I don't know, Min Ah....but for the meantime, can Ajhumma Bae play with you?"

The little girl smiled and quickly stood up, her earlier concerns quickly forgotten. "Neh, Ajhumma!" She took Ajhumma Bae's hand and took off for her playroom. "Let's go!" She cheered happily.

Ajhumma Bae sighed in relief. She honestly wasn't sure when the little girl's uncle would come by, but she knew exactly why. She was glad that she didn't have to explain to the little girl the reasons why her uncle won't even talk to her father. At least not yet.

"Are you sure you don't want to come down?" Her voice was low. "I bet she wants to see her uncle..."

He sighed, resting back in the driver's seat. He looked out his window and stared at the mansion momentarily, before turning to his best friend. "It's raining, Sica. Don't forget to wear your hood."

She frowned, before complying and opening the door. "Thanks for dropping my things off at my place, earlier. I'll call you to pick me up around 8, okay?"

He simply nodded, and looked out his window once more.

She sighed and spoke before stepping out in the rain. "Jay..." She began. He still refused to look at her. "Sooner or later you're going to have to see them. He's your brother-in-law, and she's your niece---Tiffany's daughter."

He looked at her solemnly. "I'll think about it."

She shook her head sadly, before stepping out of the car. "I'll see you later then."

Nearly as soon as she stepped off, the car drove off, and she ran into the mansion's open doors.

The maid smiled at her as she held the doors. "It's good to see you again, Ms. Jung."

Jessica smiled back at her, taking her heavy coat off. "It's good to be back." 

The maid simply bowed. "Is there anything you need?"

She shook her head, her smile unfaltering. "No need. I still remember my way around this place."

The maid smiled once more. "I'll just lead you to Min-ah, then."

"Do you think she'd remember me?" She laughed.

The maid smiled again. "She doesn't stop talking about you and Master Jay."

Sica's smile grew wider, looking around the house once more, before turning to the maid. "I was gone for quite a while, so I don't really remember your names....."

"So Eun Jae, Miss Jessica."

"Ah!" She smiled. "Eun Jae-ah! It's been so long!" 

So Eun Jae was one of the maids that always served her and Tiffany the most, when she visited. The girl was only a year younger than her, and started working at an early age. Tiffany favored her a lot and even paid for the girl's tuition fees, as the girl, in turn, worked diligently.

"It has." She smiled, before walking up the stairs. "I'll show you where little Min-ah is right now. I believe she's playing with Ajhumma Bae again."

Sica smiled. "Ajhumma Bae's too old to play house, now!" She laughed.

Eun Jae laughed along. "Yes she is! In fact, she turned 67 two months ago!"

"Really? Why hasn't she retired yet?"

The younger girl smiled fondly. "She said she'll retire after Min-ah starts school."

Sica smiled sincerely as well. "I hope she's treated well..."

"Oh, don't worry, Miss Jessica! All she really has to do is watch Min-ah."

Jessica smiled, rolling her eyes. "Come on, Eun Jae. Call me 'unnie' or 'Sica'. Just don't call me Miss."

The girl smiled wider. "Neh, unnie."

"That's better!" She paused, tracing back to topic. She sighed. "It's good to hear that she's not asked to do much."

Eun Jae simply nodded, as she continued to lead Jessica to Min-ah's playroom. The rest of their walk was in silence, as Jessica reminisced spending time with her sister-like-bestfriend.

She sighed remembering their teenage years. It was always the five of them; Jay, Tiffany, Seunghyun, Yuri, and her. Together from morning to midnight. She smiled widely, remembering Seunghyun before. He was the most popular one in school. In fact, he was called T.O.P.----'The Official Pimp'. He set the trends, as well as get any girl he wanted.

She smiled fondely, still reminicsing. Even as he was able to get any girl, he only, clearly wanted one. 

She stopped walking and her smile faltered, as her eyes landed on an empty wall.

Eun Jae stopped as well and turned to her. 

"Eun Jae...this wall..." Sica began, her voice small. "Why is it empty?"

The younger girl looked at her apologetically. "He asked it to be removed..."

Involuntarily and unconciously, Jessica's hands reached for the barren wall, as her eyes brimmed with tears. "It was her favorite...." She turned her head to the younger girl, eyes shining with tears. "He asked for it to be removed?"

The girl nodded, eyes on the ground.

"Are you sure?" Her voice was strong again, and anger resided by it. "Or did she tell you to?!"

Eun Jae looked up, startled. "N-Neh! Secretary Park told us that the master wanted it gone..."

Jessica's eyes flared as her hands clenched against the cold and empty wall. "Well put it back!" She snapped.

The younger girl stared, frightened, but nodded nonetheless.

Realizing the younger girl was frightened, her eyes softened, and her fists unclenched. "Eun Jae-ah....Mianhe..." She whispered, looking down.

"U-unnie! Don't be. Please. I understand why you're so angry, afterall..."

Jessica turned back to the wall. "Just don't forget. Please."

The younger girl smiled sadly, and proceeded to Min-ah's playroom, with Jessica following behind. Reaching the room, she turned to Jessica with a smile, bowed, and excused herself.

She found herself smiling again, forgetting about the empty wall. She heaved a breath, and slowly opened the door.

Min-ah was happily talking with her back turned to her, playing tea with Ajhumma Bae, who sat down in front of her. The elder woman gasped and smiled as she saw Jessica through the open door. She bowed to the house guest, as Min-ah turned to see who it was.

Her eyes widened and she smiled happily, as she ran to her godmother. "Aunt Sica!"

Jessica carried the little girl in pure happiness, as she smiled brightly. "Min-ah! You've grown so big already!" She turned and smiled at the elder woman. "And Ajhumma Bae! It's been a while!"

The elder woman smiled. "You've been missed, Jessica."

The little girl in her arms hugged her tightly as she showered her aunt with kisses.

"Aunty! Aunty!" The little girl chirped. "I missed you!!"

Jessica's smile grew. "I missed you too! Everytime I called to talk to you, they said you were already asleep or was still sleeping!"

"You should've told them to wake me up!"

"Aniyo!" She laughed. "You need to grow taller!"

"I'm going to be as tall as daddy, Aunt Sica! I don't need sleep!"

"Omo! Your daddy's like, a hundred times taller than you! You're still so short!"

"Aniyo~" The girl whined. "I'm going to be tall!"

Sica

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter