Flicker of Hope

The Worlds Against Us

The princess of Phyllon was on her knees while small faeries tried to comfort her with their little orbs of light. It was useless. The trees were slowly weakening. Their leaves falling like tears on the yellowing grass of the area. No one was able to soothe the princess. A lone withered flower was lying down on the ground and it no longer carried the life it once had. Rough and tattered boughs rose up from under the ground and it was slowly making its way to the crying princess. The small faeries were unable to do anything. Not even their magic could stop the branches from darting forth and covering the wilted flower, covering whatever shine it had left. Slowly, it crept up the princess’s legs and encased even her arms.

Dark green vines pushed through her skin, marking them as they coiled around her. One by one, each vine moved up to her neck where it also seeped into her skin. All of a sudden, a bright light entered the realm. The faeries looked in surprise as this orb touched the vines surrounding the princess. It rolled on each vine, changing their color to a refreshing green until it landed near the spot where the wilted flower was.

The branches moved to the side, opening slightly to leave a path for the small orb to reach the flower. It glowed one last time before it gave out. The flower started to regain its color, for a second, it stayed there before a small seed floated from the flower. The tiny seed entered the small orb and rolled around it to cover itself with the petals.

Green eyes opened.                                              

Actually, this wasn’t that bad. I almost forgot they could do that. Looks like the winner has been chosen.” The Bookkeeper watched as the princess of Phyllon looked up at the sky. A new pour of rain washed and refreshed the trees and flowers.

As the rain dropped over her eyes, it was as if it cleared the fog and suddenly she blinked. Sunny gasped in surprise as she saw that it was raining in her country. When the faeries saw that she regained consciousness, they crowded over to where she sat. Her green dress fluttering as the life returned to the planet.

“When was the last time it rained?” Sunny smiled though more tears fell from her eyes.

“Taeyeon, you idiot….” The princess unsteadily stood up. The plantae around her settled down as the rain continued to water all that it could reach.

***

In her library, the Bookkeeper sat down as she massaged her forehead.

“These princesses are sure troublesome…” But she smiled.

“They’ll get through this and soon… they’ll meet again in a new world.” The books around her floated around. Her hand grasped a new book—it was slightly empty but there were already twelve names written on it.

“Ok, time to start the new project.”

Two suns and two moons

Six to one and Six to two.

They’ll follow and be united

With pure hearts and strong wills.

They will be called the outsiders.

Satisfied with what she wrote, she put the book next to the mirror and looked again between Phyllon and Mirour.

“Princess Taeyeon, all you had to do was wait some more. Now you are too weak to fight.” The Bookkeeper frowned as she saw how dim it was in Taeyeon’s country.

“You did not need to give her your light. Not when it was the only thing keeping you sane.”

***

Everything shook. The mirrors cracked and some orbs smashed in the ground. Taeyeon was crouched over the spot where she took her own heart and pierced it with her own power. It hurt, she realized, but it could not compare to the pain of knowing she killed her princess.

The door creaked open and a lady comes in followed by some more people.

“Princess Taeyeon, we will need to clean your training room. Please get up slowly so you won’t get hurt.” The princess did not move. The blood from her hand where she had gripped the sharp ridges of the mirror dripped onto the reflective floor. Her right hand hovered silently to her chest, but she could not find any beat.

The onlookers saw the princess smirk.

“Princess Taeyeon?” All of a sudden, a force pushed them out of the training room. The lady stood up with a groan and the last thing she saw was the princess standing up. The blood continued to drip from her fingertips to the floor. She watched in surprise as the princess raised her left hand and the broken mirrors fixed themselves. Angling her head to see, the lady was frozen in place as she saw that the mirrors were indeed fixed but they were like empty voids, no longer reflecting anything. She was broken out of her shock when she saw that the princess turned to her. Tears ran down the princess’ face, grey slowly clouding her brown eyes.

“Princess Tae—!” Before she could call out, the door to the training room closed followed by a broken scream. The people with her stayed siting on the ground with fear.

“Princess…” The people of Mirour felt fear that day for the light that led them in each moment out that day. The entire planet of Mirour was left in a darkness they have never experienced before.

***

Princess Seohyun of Spirita jerked backwards as the water around her rippled. There was so much outcry from the spirits around her. She covered her ears with her hands and fell to the ground. So many voices, I can’t understand!

She waited until the voices quieted down. Seohyun looked into the water with a frown.

“I hope you know what you are doing.” A single ring of ripple appeared in the lake going from the outside to the inside ring.

 

***

Red Writer: Hey guys, I’m sorry it took me so long. Two years, I know >_< Still, I thank you for continuing to show support for this story. I was in college and I just moved to all the way to Cali. I will be completing this story soon so keep in tune. I’m not sure how my writing has changed, it may be worse or better—or maybe nothing changed…Oh well, hope you enjoy this new update.