The doubtfulness

Makeover
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 2: The doubtfulness

***

“Hey, is that lackey coming yet?”

“No, I also wonder why he seems to be late today. Usually he arrives earlier than us, doesn’t he?”

“Ah, do you think he is going to start avoiding us and thus avoiding the usual morning errands?”

“If he dares to, I’ll give him more trouble.”

Currently engrossed with gossiping, a group of employees was huddled around one of the cubicles in the real estate company.

“But…he always gets the boss to back him up.”

“That is because in that old man’s eyes, he’s the only diligent one here and that pisses me off. How can his name always be on the top of the highest-monthly-sales list?”

“I’ve also been wondering the same thing all this time. Could he be using some dirty tricks while pursuing our clients? Like...courting the client to buy the properties?” A woman said, adding more fuel to the fire.

“Nah, that can’t be…with that snotty-nerdy face of his.”

“Hey, who knows if-” Another man who was about to refute suddenly caught sight of the person stepping into their office department. It was that same person they had just been discussing about.

While the group looked at him with wondering eyes, Jaejoong’s eyes roamed his colleagues’ faces, unamused, as he stepped into the office room.

He lowered his gaze and continued his steps towards the last cubicle of partition. He was already used to seeing the sneering looks of his colleagues. Every day was the same and they just simply seemed to enjoy mocking him and manipulating him. Granted, he was not a social person, it was quite difficult for him hold conversations with people, in addition, he also appears aloof. Those must be some of the reasons why people see him as an easy target for bullying.

Jaejoong had just settled down on his chair when one of those foul-mouthed men called him.

“Hey, you’re late today. Trying to avoid doing your morning routine, aren't you?”

Jaejoong just ignored him. Moreover, he was not in a good mood. He was still shaken up from what had happened last night. His spirit was low, he felt lifeless, and definitely not in the mood to work, but he didn’t have a choice. He wasn’t born with a silver spoon in his mouth and there was no one to support him financially therefore, he had to work and make a living.

“Oh, what’s with this cold attitude? Think you got some nerve to refuse our orders?” The man got ticked off as Jaejoong remained silent; the usually timid guy only looked at his computer screen completely ignoring him.

“Hey, I’m talking to you!” The man snapped, and finally obtained a reaction from Jaejoong.

Jaejoong heaved a sigh, “What do you want?” He asked the man flatly.

“Still want to ask what I want? Bring me a cup of coffee, less sugar,” the man ordered.

Without words of argument, he got up from his seat and started walking to the pantry at the back area.

“Ah, me too! Just the usual.”

“And for me, extra cream…”

More orders came once he got into the pantry. He was already used to the way his colleagues treated him, like an errand boy freed to be bossed around. Also, it was well known in the company that he had a great memorizing ability and of course his colleagues took advantage of that well known fact. Some would even order him to fill in for them in a meeting with their clients, giving him extra work.

Jaejoong just had nothing to say. It was not like he loved to be in that pathetic state, he just felt it was useless to argue with them. Those people would probably group and trample him on and on again, like what he had experienced once in his previous workplace.

He was even more uncomfortable in his former job where there was this one ert superior that seemed to be fond of groping him out of nowhere. He never told this to Siwon. Back then, his boyfriend did wonder why he wanted to change his workplace when it was located in a convenient location for commuting. He had lied and told him he was bored of his job and wanted something new.

He wanted to be a good boyfriend hence he always felt the need to restrain, to not bother his lover with trivial matter. Yet, somehow, his unselfish attitude just brought him no good.

***

As he got out from the cab, Jaejoong tried to recall what exactly had lead him to the front of this big, high-rise building that majestically stood in the heart of Seoul. It was true that he had promised a certain someone but, that man was still a stranger and whether to fully trust him was debatable.

The main reason he is upholding his promise is because, He was there to get his loved one back. That reason alone gives him courage to step further and enter the building.

Once he entered the building, he let out a low gasp. The atmosphere inside the building mirrored its outward appearance; totally high-class designed. Totally different from his old-cracked office building that is located in the outskirt of the same big city. This place exhibits elegance and wealth from outwards to inwards, top to bottom that even its employers exhibit an elegant aura around them.

Jaejoong felt out of place, especially when he compared himself to the people that pass him by. Those persons come in and out of the building eyeing him up and down.

He hated to be in such a bright place, and hated that kind of look that people gave him; a look that was like gauging him on surface, as if appearances is all that matters.

Well, he couldn’t completely blame those who judged him; he knew that he and his low self-esteem were partially to blame. He sported quite long locks that draped over his face, thick-black-rimmed glasses, and he also used to walk with his shoulders slumped down, which adds to his messy appearance. It seems like he just can’t show confidence.

“Err…excuse me?” Jaejoong said as he reached the receptionist counter.

“Yes, how may I help you, sir?” A woman with formal office attire greeted him courteously.

Jaejoong was about to open his mouth again when his eyes caught sight of the big-bold letters; ‘Jung Property Management Group’ on the clear wall behind the receptionist area.  In an instance he held out the business card given to him by the stranger he encountered last night.

“Jung Yunho…” he muttered the name written on the card.

“Oh, are you here to meet one of our chief directors?”

“Huh?” Jaejoong looked up at the woman unsure before he slowly nodded his head, ‘So…he’s someone who has a big name?’

“May I know if you have made an appointment beforehand so, that I may inform him about your arrival?” The woman asked.

“Uh, I…I actually…”

“Oh, you’re here. I thought you were not coming.” Jaejoong was cut off by a young man who had just come out from the elevator.

“Changmin-ssi…”

“Impressive, you can still remember my name even though…” Changmin leaned closer to him before he whispered, “…we just meet last night.”

Jaejoong jolted up as the other whispered so close to his sensitive ear. “C-could you…stop acting this way?” He uttered, annoyed at Changmin’s seemingly promiscuous attitude, annoyed at the words Changmin used that can easily be misinterpreted.

“Acting this way… like what?” A teasing smile tugged the young man’s lips.

Jaejoong didn’t answer; he only glared at him.

“Aww, don’t stare at me like that. Okay, let’s not waste time. That bossy man has been waiting for you in his office. I bet his is already hot from seating too long.” Changmin cut in as he got the meaning of Jaejoong’s annoyed look. But he didn’t forget to turn around at the receptionist counter and smiled too bright for those women eyes to behold.

“I’ll take him to meet the chief director Jung myself. From now on, he’s an important guest. So there is no need to give him a visitor’s pass.” Changmin winked at the woman before he turned back to Jaejoong and ushered the smaller man to follow his lead.

Jaejoong was wary; Changmin chose to use the back way to reach the main office floor, and instead of using the elevator, they used a staircase. Jaejoong was curious; this whole situation was intriguing and it didn’t help that Changmin’s current actions were suspicious.

***

“You’re late.”

That cold voice was the first thing that greeted him once he entered the spacious and elegant office.

The man, who was seated on his armchair facing the big, glass window behind him, twirled his chair around revealing his stern face to Jaejoong who looked dumfounded.

“Ugh, you know I just got off from work and the distance from my office to here is not -”

“Excuses are unacceptable.” Yunho said as he got up from his chair and made his step towards the smaller man who stood fidgeting.

“I am merely testing you. Seems like you are one of those type that are prone to gain other’s sympathy, aren’t you?”

“I’m not!” Jaejoong protested.

‘This jerk, nothing nice ever comes out from his mouth, such an aggravating person. Why must I agree to cooperate with him?’  He inwardly complained. The real reason he was late was because one colleague from his office is such a jackass to force him to take on a client for him.

“Let’s get straight to the point of what we discussed yesterday. We will try to help you get your lover back, which Changmin already formed a plan for it. You just need to follow the plan.” Yunho clarified as he glanced at the Changmin who stood behind Jaejoong.

“How…can I be sure that this plan will work? I…”

“That all depends on you.” Yunho said again, still in his unfriendly tone.

“I will explain to you what you need to do but …”Changmin interrupted, “first; I don’t think this is the right place to hold our discussion every day. Don’t you think so Yunho?”

“Huh? Then where else are we supposed to meet and discuss?” Yunho asked back.

“Your place of course.” Changmin grinned.

“What? No, there is no way I will al-”

“Okay, there’s no way you will allow anyone into your territory. I get that. But, what do you think if that person barges in out of nowhere and sees this guy with us?” Changmi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter