Surprise?

Private Lessons


Chapter 17: Surprise?

As I was stuffing my already full mouth with more of the scrumptious Christmas dinner, the front door suddenly burst open.

“MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS! I hope I’m not too late for Christmas dinner!”

“KRYSTAL?!” 

 

KRYSTAL POV

“Eomma! Do you know where I put my trainers?”

“It’s by the door! You took it off just moments ago. Oh Krystal! You’re so young and you’re memory’s already worse than mine.” my mom tsked as she handed me a pair of well-loved converse.

“Well. You know me, I always forget things.” I continued piling clothes after clothes at my already full suitcase.

“Yah! Jung Soojung! Haven’t I taught you how to properly pack your suitcase?”

Mom emptied my cluttered suitcase and started refolding all the clothes I have recklessly thrown in. She was muttering something about her youngest daughter being an irresponsible prick when the house phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Soojung-ah.” Said a lonely voice over the line.

“Oh, Eonnie. Why’d you call? I thought you had to board the plane hours ago?” Sooyoun eonnie could not spend Christmas with us again. Her group, SNSD, had to leave for Japan to perform on one of their Christmas shows.

“The flight was delayed, we still some time to kill before the plane arrives. I just wanted to greet you guys before anything else. Merry Christmas, Soojung-ah!”

Despite her usual cold attitude, she was actually a very sentimental and family-oriented person. Being away during important event such as birthdays, Christmas and New Year makes her feel bad.

“Merry Christmas too, unnie!” My mom came barging in and snatched the phone from my hand.

“Oh my baby! How are you? How’re the other girls? How’s Japan?” question after question she bombarded unnie. In the middle of mom’s interrogation, I slipped out of the living room to finish my packing.

- - - - -

One last tight hug from my mom and a quick hair ruffle from dad, I was out the door, boarding the taxi at 9:00 on a Christmas Eve.

The usual hour long ride to the dormitory took two and a half hours in annoying traffic and blaring car horns. The driver ahjussi who kindly talked me out of boredom through the whole trip, patiently wove through the long line of cars and throngs of people lining the streets.

An eternity later, the taxi pulled up in front of the dorm. With a generous tip and a sincere ‘Merry Christmas’, I was heaving my suitcase up the elevator and finally through the door.

Amber and Vic-eomma were already eating Christmas dinner when I barged in quite loudly through the door. Surprised faces and a minute long pause welcomed me. But after the initial shock of seeing me, they rushed out of their sits to hug me and usher me to sit and share the feast Vic-eomma prepared.

“Krystal! I thought you were spending Christmas with your family?” Vic-eomma asked as she piled dish after dish at my plate.

“My mom said that she might as well get used to having her two daughters out during Christmas, so she sent me here.” I said over a mouthful of tofu and bean curd.

“It’s great to have you here, Krystal! I thought Vic-eomma and I had to spend Christmas like two lovebirds here at the dorm.” Amber teased.

“Oh. I wouldn’t let that happen would I? I’ll forever third wheel the two of you!” I playfully replied.

Easy banter flowed as we tried to finish all of the Christmas dinner. But no matter how big our stomachs may be, there were still quite a lot of leftovers. Vic-eomma just laughed it off, saying that she’d just make other dishes out of them in the coming days.

At around 1 in the morning, after doing all the dishes and stuffing the leftovers in the fridge, we dragged our asses to the living room and watched reruns on the TV.

“Look at us, spending Christmas like lazy bums, watching show reruns and stuffing ice cream at our already full stomachs.” Amber suddenly said.

“Hey! Just think of it as our day off. We need some time to relax and not worry about training y’know?” I elbowed her lightly.

“True. But I really really wish all these hard work will pay-off in the future.” She said with a distant look in her eyes.

“I’m sure it’ll all be worth it, right Vic-eomma?”

The only answer I got was a soft snore.

- - - - -

The loud knock woke me up from a fitful sleep. Burying my head under the covers, I willed the knocks to stop but it kept on coming. With a loud annoyed sigh, I rose from the bed to open the door.

Two things happened the moment I opened the door of our dorm. First, there were two girls standing awkwardly on the front step. Second, they were each holding boxes of what looked to be gifts in their arms.

“Hi Krystal.” One of the girls piped.

“Umm. Happy New Year?” the other girl said.

Still groggy and confused out of my mind, I just stared at them, thinking how and why they are here so early in the morning. And it was January 1, they weren’t supposed to be here until tomorrow.

“Um, aren’t you going to let us in?” Luna shifted from one foot to another. Maybe from the weight of the boxes she was carrying or maybe to rid of awkwardness of standing beside Sulli.

I opened the door wider and let them in.

After quickly putting down their bags and boxes, they each took their turn to hug me and great me a soft Happy New Year. They each handed me a box, which I assumed was a Christmas and New Year present combined judging by the weight, and they quietly retreated to their room.

The awkwardness of still lingered in the air as they left me alone in the living room. It was apparent that they still haven’t made up. I quickly put the presents back in my room and rushed to the shower before barging in Amber’s room and pulling her out of dreamland.

Amber just smiled as I told her of my wickedly brilliant plan.

It’s a new year. Time for everyone to get over the past. 

____________________

A/N: Hey guys! Sorry for the very late update. And I'm even more sorry if this chapter seemed rushed. I still hope you liked it. 

I promise to try and update more regularly. Promise! 

And also if it's not too much to ask, please do wish me luck in my job hunting adventures. Thanks so much!

As usual, comments, suggestions and violent reactions are always welcome!

 

Love,

blacknaive