Surprise

Private Lessons

 

Chapter 12: Surprise

 

But before I got in, Amber held me by the hand and whispered in my ear, “Thank you for today, Krystal.”

 

Oh how I love being unexpected sometimes.

 

AMBER POV

 

It was only two weeks since the Amusement Park outing, but it felt like months. We were plunged back to the hectic training and rehearsals. The only leisure time we got were in between schedules. Even our weekends were packed – rehearsals and such.

 

On a particularly non-busy day, I decided to stay at home while the girls all went to the supermarket, complaining that all they ate were processed food. We had no time to eat home-cooked meals anymore because of our demanding schedules, thus the trip to the nearby grocery.

 

I opted out, telling them that I needed to catch up on some me time. That got me suggestive looks, as if I’m implying I was to do something ual, which I’m not. Swear. I just needed breathing space and maybe some catching up with my family. I haven’t called them as regularly as before and I was due a video call with my sister.

 

So here I am, seated on my desk, talking to a very animated Jackie over my old laptop. She ranted on and on about how nice the weather was back in LA. I told her not to make me jealous ‘cause the weather here in Korea is all but cold and wet and gross, not what I was used to. I told my sister that I missed the heat back home, I miss my tan, I miss my friends back in LA, I miss my family, I miss her.

 

That last part though, I didn’t mean to say that out loud. Much to my surprise, my sister stopped talking the moment I said her name, Nicole’s name. Whenever she opens up a talk about Nicole, I’d always change the topic. But this time, I guess I was ready to open up to my sister.

 

Her enthusiasm died at that moment and she looked at me with glassy eyes.

 

“Hey, don’t go all teary-eyed on me,” I said.

 

“It’s just so good to finally hear you say her name. It’s been years…Oh Amber!” Jackie was full on crying now. I can’t help my tears from pouring out too.

 

So that was how Krystal found me, bawling my eyes out in front of my laptop with an equally loud Jackie on the screen.

 

“Ummm…Amber. Are you okay?” Krystal rubbed my back and told me it was okay, it was going to be okay.

 

It took some time for me to actually calm down and speak to the now red eyed Jackie on the other line. She looks like crap and she was talking to Krystal about something I couldn’t quite understand.

 

 

“Deep breaths, Amber. Deep breaths,” Krystal said.

 

“Hey. Th-thanks…”I wiped my eyes and asked my sister what the hell they were talking about while I was bawling.

 

“Nothing for you to worry about, little sister. I’m quite reassured that Krystal here would take care of you, wouldn’t you, Krystal?”

 

“Of course, Jackie. You don’t have to worry about anything at all.” Krystal answered with a smile.

 

I looked back and forth between the two girls, there was a glint in the eyes of my sister. They were plotting something behind my back, I could feel it.

“I know you two are plotting something. You better tell me now or I’m gonna find it out myself.” I warned them.

 

“Nope. Not a chance. You’ll never guess it this time, Amber!” she stuck her tongue out at me and winked at Krystal.

 

Infuriated, I told the two of them that I was tired and they could continue their plotting without me.

 

That earned me a loud laugh from the two. I stood and laid on my bed. Closing my eyes, I heard the two talk in hushed tones. ‘…make Amber happy’ was the last thing I heard before I was swept into dreamland.

 

“Hey Amber, it is dinner time. Wake up, sleepyhead.” Krystal whispered in my ear.

 

I groaned as I got up with Krystal’s help. All the girls were seated when I got to the dining room. I groggily sat down at the only empty chair which was at the head of the table. The moment I sat down, the girls all started singing Happy Birthday.

 

Or maybe the Korean version of it. It has the same melody and all. Soo…that made me stop and think.

 

I fully awake now and I just realized that today is my birthday. I am 16 years old today. Oh, how could I forget my own birthday? Stupid me is stupid. The events of the day suddenly came rushing in. All that sneaky talk between my sister and Krystal was for this surprise. I definitely did not see that coming.

 

I suddenly felt wetness on my cheeks and it took me a moment to realize that I was crying. The girls were at my side and giving me a big hug. I heard a mixture of ‘happy birthdays’ and ‘it’s okays’.

 

Since coming to Korea, this is probably one of the most memorable thing that happened, second only to the day we had at the amusement park.

 

I felt okay for the first time in forever, I felt like these girls were my real friends that will be with me through all the ups and downs of my life here in a foreign land. For the first time in a long time, I forgot about the pain of losing Nicole.

 

KRYSTAL POV

 

Amber cried for the second time today. But this time, it was happy tears, I could tell by the ridiculously huge smile plastered on her face. All the other girls were teary-eyed as well.

 

When all the hugs and greetings have been given, we took our seats and feasted on the traditional Korean birthday dinner we cooked for Amber.

 

A few bites into dinner, Amber called our attention.

 

“Umm…guys. I have something to tell you…” She fidgeted while she waited for our nods.

 

“I’d just like to say sorry for not being to sociable these past few weeks. I was going through something I’m not yet ready to share with you guys, I really hope you understand…” she stopped, taking a deep breath before continuing.

 

“But I really do appreciate your company. That simple gesture meant a lot to me. Thank you guys, so much. I totally forgot about my birthday. Thank you. Really. This…everything. Just…” Amber started tearing up again “Thank you, guys.”

 

“Heeey. No more tears. It’s your birthday, smile.” Luna said.

 

“AND EAT. You’ve been skipping meals these past few days.” Vic-eomma added.

 

“Yeah. You need to store up energy for our debut, y’know.” Sulli beamed.

 

That night, we ate too much that we decided to go beyond our usual bed time to watch a movie. And since it was Amber’s birthday, we let her decide which movie to watch.

 

We all but said no when she suggested to watch something scary. She just laughed at our cowardice and moved on to selecting a milder themed movie. After some deliberation and voting, we’ve decided to watch Titanic. No one has seen it yet and Amber said she wanted to see something dramatic for a change.

 

Chips and ice cream ready, we hit the play button and enjoyed the brilliantly made film.

 

“Oh nooooo! Jack!” exclaimed Sulli amidst the silence.

 

“Shhhh. Shut it and just watch.” Shushed Luna.

 

“But, but Jack…” Sulli just started crying then.

 

Soon enough, when the more dramatic parts of the movie played on the screen, all the other girls were crying. Looking to my right, where Amber was seated, sandwiched between Luna and I, she was trying to hide her tears.

 

I was trying to hold back my tears but I giggled at the adorable Amber beside me. Between the girls’ crying and my sort of giggling, we looked like a bunch of nut jobs watching Titanic for the first time.

 

At around 2 in the morning, a few minutes after the movie, we were still drying our tears when Vic-eomma received a phone call from our manager.

 

Silence engulfed the room as she listened to our manager over the phone. A few breathless moments later, she got off the phone and slowly faced us.

 

“Girls. Manager Kim just said that they have a date set for our debut.”

______________________________________________________

I have been updating quite erratically these past few chapters.
For that, I'm so sorry. 
Anyhoo, I hope you enjoy this new instalment of Private Lessons.

Happy Holidays, everyone! :D


- blacknaive