Ch. 2 A Seagull & A Missed Performance

The Little Merman

Laying in his room, Luhan looked at all of the treasures that he had gathered. A knock on the door startled him. Rushing to put everything back into the bag he stuffed it under his bed. When the door opened Kyungsoo swam in.

“Jeez, Kyungsoo you scared me. I thought you were my father.”

“Nope just me. They said that you were looking for me though, what’s up?”

“Oh I wanted to go see how these things work. Want to come with me?”

“Do I have a choice?”

“No.”

“Alright let’s go.”

Gathering his bag Luhan and Kyungsoo headed off to the surface. Breaking through the water Luhan let the sun warm his face. The waves his chin as they swam towards a pile of rocks. Sitting atop the rock was a seagull.

“Xiumin! It’s Luhan and Kyungsoo!”

“Ah! My friends! Did you bring me anything? Perhapse baozi?”

“Sorry Xiumin, no baozi, just more items I found.”

Pouting, Xiumin jumped down to their level. Digging through the bag he pulled out a pipe…

“Ah well this one. This is a snarfblatt. Humans use this play beautiful music. Here let me show you.”

Taking a deep breath Xiumin blew into the mouthpiece of the pipe. Only sea foam and weeds came out the other end.

“Hmm must be broken. What a shame. Alright next one.”

Digging in the bag again he pulled out a fork.

“Well I’ll be. This is rare. This is fantastic. This is a dinglehopper. I haven’t seen one of these in ages. Humans use this to brush through their hair.”

Just as he was about to demonstrate Luhan saw the sun setting.

“Ah! Sorry Xiumin, but we realy need to get going. Thanks for all your help.”

Gathering all of the items again Luhan slipped beneath the surface again.

“What’s the rush Luhan?” Kyungsoo asked.

“I wanted to get these items put away before we went to my father’s birthday celebration. I need to be there at 7pm. So we have a bit.”

The two continued to swim until they came to a cave hidden among the weeds. Slipping in through a crack Luhan disappeared with Kyungsoo inside. Once inside Luhan took in his collection of human trinkets. Putting his new found trinkets among the old he sat down on the rock that lay in the middle of everything

“Isn’t it beautiful Kyungsoo? All of these unique items.”

“They’re umm really something. What are you going to do with all of them?”

“Not sure. I just like having them around me. It feels like I’m in another world.”

Lost in his own world, Luhan didn’t know of the disaster going on at the palace.

“Is everyone in place for the performance?” Suho asked as he rushed around preparing. Looking out he saw Kris, The king of sea and Luhan’s father, sitting on his throne. Nervously ringing his claws he prepared himself to go out on stage. Beginning the performance everything was going smoothly. The king even looked pleased. When it came time for Luhans solo the shell opened to reveal an empty pillow. A gasp was heard throughout the crowd and the king’s face twisted in anger.

“LUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!”

Back in the grotto, Luhan couldn’t help but feel like someone had called his name.