Ch. 9 Flashback

The Little Merman

Luhan struggled against Tao's hold.

"Let me go!" he shouted as he tried to break free.

"Ha! We had a deal. You're mine now." They reached the entrance to Tao's lair and swam inside. Reaching the main part of the cave, he threw Luhan down in a corner where vines of seaweed wrapped themselves around him and held him steady.

"What are you going to do with me?" Luhan asked as he watched Tao swim around the cave grabbing random potions and throwing them into the pot.

"You are not my main concern little fish. I have bigger fish to fry, ah it appears tht the main course has arrived."

"Tao!" A voice bellowed. Luhan looked up to see his father swimming into the cave, trident glowing.

Tao just smiled. "I've been expecting you. Kris."

"Tao." Kris narrowed his eyes and raised his trident. "Let Luhan go."

Tao just clicked his tongue, "Unfortunately I can't do that. You see Kris, we have a contract."

Holding his hands up the contact appeared out of thin air with Luhan's signature glowing at the bottom.

"I'm sorry father! I never meant for this to happen."

Kris ignored Luhan's cries and turned to Tao. "What do I have to do for my son's freedom? Whatever you want, it's yours."

Tao smirked, "I've been waiting a long time for you to say that."

Flashback

Tao had recently just moved to the kingdom of Atlantis. His family wasn't rich, but wasn't poor either. They worked hard for their money and life was good.

One day, Tao was running errands in the town when suddently trumpets sounded. People began to gather and Tao became curious. Making his way through the crowd, his breath as taken away at the sight of a young boy perched next to the king. Assuming it was the prince, he knew he stood no chance and slowly walked back to the family shop.

The boy never left his mind as he served customers throughout the day. Dazed off in thought, Tao jumped when someone cleared their throat. Looking up, his heart stopped when he saw the young prince standing in front of him.

"Sorry to bother you, but I saw you in the square today and I couldn't get you out of my mind. Most of the townspeople knew who you were and helped me find you. My name is Kris."

Tao bowed in respect, "Ah your highness. It is an honor to serve you."

Kris frowned and pulled Tao upright. "No. Just Kris. Don't call me your highness. I hate that name."

"Alright. Kris. It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Tao."

Their friendship bloomed and eventuially became more. But, on their 16th birthdays, everything changed.

"Hello-Oh! Kris. I didn't know you were coming in today."

Tao's smile slid off his face at the sight of Kris'.

"What's wrong? Did something happen?"

"Tao. I'm getting married."

Tao's face paled, "What are you talking about Kris. I thought you loved me. You said that you would turn down the position of king so we could be together."

"Did you really think I was serious? I just needed to pass the time. Why wouldn't I want to be king. My future wife is beautiful and the kingdom is wealthy. It would be foolish of me not to accept. I just came to tell you that this is the last time you will see me as Kris and from now on you should refer to me as your highness." Kris said with a cold look on his face.

Seeing that Tao was speechless, Kris turned and left the shop. Inside, Tao dropped to his knees as his heart broke. He couldn't believe that his love was leaving him.

After that, things only got worse. Tao's parents died in an accident and the shop was destoryed by currents. Forced onto the street he was slowly starving to death.

Eventually he was taken in by an evil warlock who decided he would be his successor.

"But I could never hurt anyone." Tao said. Although his life was terrible, his innocence and compassion remained intact.

A knock on the door interrupted their conversation.

"You have been invited to the royal wedding of the new king Kris and his wife. Please come with a gift and your best wishes."

Tao opened the envelope and felt his heart break all over again. The picture of Kris holding another was too much. His eyes turned dark and his heart was into a black hole.

Walking back to his master he crumpled the envelope in his hand.

"Who was at the door?"

"It doesn't matter. Now teach me your magic."

Since then, Tao completely devoted his life to making Kris pay. No matter what it took.
 

End Flashback

Kris raised his trident. "Let Luhan go. I know that you have the power to do so!"

"Then take his place. You want Luhan to go? Take his place. If you refuse he will be mine forever and I will do what I want. Maybe I'll test my new spells on him, or cut him apart to feed my pets."

"That's enough! Fine. You win. I will take Luhan's place."

"No father! You can't!"

Tao smiled as the name at the bottom of the contact changed. "It's done!"

The seaweed around Luhan broke and Kris was captured instead. His crown and trident floated to the ocean floor and were snatched up by Tao. He placed the crown on his head and squeezed the trident.

"At last. It's mine." Tao grew bigger and bigger until he was no longer in the water.

Luhan felt the temperature of the water drop and the current changed. Swimming out of the cave, Luhan saw a large whirlpool forming in the water. He tried to swim away, but was swept up anyways. After being spun around a couple times, he was tossed to the ocean floor.

He looked up hopelessly as Tao laughed and lighting flashed. Suddenly out of nowhere, a ship appeared.

Squinting, Luhan tried to make out the captain. His eyes widened at the sight of the attacker.

"S-Sehun?!"