Ch. 8 So Close

The Little Merman

Tao watched from his lair as Luhan and Sehun almost kissed.

“That was two close. Something needs to be done or he’ll be kissing him for sure before tomorrow’s sundown.”

Clutching the shell that held Luhan’s voice, he plotted an evil plan.

“I think I know just what to do.”

Crushing the shell in his palm he let the smoke form around him and take him to the surface.

 

Back at the palace Luhan was watching Sehun play with Baekhyun. Smiling to himself he was filled with warmth at the sight. Sehun glanced up and saw Luhan watching him. Giving him a small waved he laughed when Luhan blushed and disappeared inside. Plopping on the bed, Luhan nestled into the covers and fell asleep.

Outside Sehun was getting ready to head in when he heard a melodic voice coming from the beach. Leaning over the railing he saw a figure appear out of the mist. He felt his head get heavy as the music penetrated his ears. Finding himself losing his mind he lost consciousness.

 

 

A loud knock on the window woke Luhan. Getting up he opened it and fell back as a chirping Xiumin flew through the window.

“Congratulations Luhan! You stud muffin you! I heard the good news!”

When Luhan only looked at him confused Xiumin ruffled his hair.

“Don’t pretend you don’t know what I’m talking about. I heard that the prince is getting married!”

Luhan’s face lit up as he raced downstairs. Rounding the corner his heart stopped when he saw Sehun standing with another man on his arm. He was strikingly handsome with a feline face that was seductive in every way.

“Yes. We would like to get married as soon as possible. Today in fact. Before sundown.”

“Today? That’s so soon! Well we must get started then. Congratulations sir, he is very handsome.”

“Thank you.”

Luhan overheard the conversation and found his heart shattering. Running back to his room he collapsed on the bed in silent tears.

 

 

Luhan sat at the edge of the dock watching the wedding ship sail off into the sun. Kyungsoo sat quietly in the water next to him.

Xiumin flew aside the ship.

‘I need to wish Luhan good luck!’ he thought to himself as he soared next to the preparation room. Landing on the window he peaked in and gasped at what he saw.

“Hahah this was just too easy. By the end of today I’ll have myself a prince and by the end of the week I’ll have myself an ocean.”

Tipping the mirror Xiumin saw the reflection of Tao.

‘Oh my gosh! I need to tell Luhan about this immediately.”

 

“Luhan! Luhan!” Xiumin shouted as he flew towards Luhan. Looking up Luhan wiped his tears away.

“Listen! The future Mrs. Prince is Tao! He’s in disguise! He has your voice! We need to stop the wedding!”

Luhan stood up and sadly looked at the ship that was now small in the distance.

Noticing some barrels floating in the water, Kyungsoo swam over and grabbed one.

“Luhan get on! I’ll pull you to the ship. Xiumin, gather your friends and do everything you can to stall the wedding.”

Jumping into the water luhan held onto the barrel for dear life as they started toward the ship.

 

Xiumin flew over the cover cawing and calling his friends. Seals perked up their heads, flocks of birds gathered around, and dolphins came to attention. They all headed off to the wedding ship.

 

On the ship Tao was making his way down the aisle with a dazed Sehun. Baekhyun growled at Tao only to be kicked in the nose (poor Baekhyun). They reached the alter and the ceremony began.

All of a sudden a loud noise could be heard over the vows. Everyone turned their heads to see a large flock of sea creatures swarmed the ship. Dolphins sprayed water all over the ship and guests while birds attacked the food and people. Tao grimaced at the interruption. He turned to shout only to have slapped in the face by a pair of seals.

At the same moment Luhan was struggling to climb aboard. Pulling himself over the railing he was just in time to see Xiumin attack Tao and pull the shell from his neck. It fell to the ground and split open as the golden orb flew through the air and back down Luhan’s throat.

Sehun shook his head as he snapped out of the trance.

“Sehun.” Luhan breathed.

“Luhan? That voice! It was you!”

Rushing to Luhan Sehun picked him up and spun him around.

“Sehun I wanted to tell you.”

Leaning in Sehun was just about to brush Luhan’s lips with the sun slipped below the horizon.

Luhan felt his legs burning as he collapsed to the ground. His pants dissolved as his teal tail was left flapping uselessly. Sehun just stared in awe.

Tao laughed and slowly walked over.

“What a shame. Luhan you were so close. Oh well. Close doesn’t cut it. You’re mine.”