Ch. 4 Rescue

The Little Merman

The storm clouds rolled in so quickly that Luhan barely had any time to dive underwater. Clinging to the side of the ship he watched as the men rushed around trying to secure the sails of the ship. The boat was rocked like a toy ship in a bathtub as the waves pounded the sides. Large waves spilled over the edges pelting the men and causing them to slip and fall on the deck. Out of the corner of his eye, Luhan saw Sehun struggling with the wheel. He had managed to climb over and was gripping it for all he was worth.

Suddenly there was a large bang as the oil lit candles were knocked to the deck. A large fire began to blaze as it was fed by the wood and stored items aboard. The men clambered into the lifeboat. Just as Sehun was running to jump aboard a loud bark was heard. Baekhyun was trapped on the upper deck by a wall of fire. Turning around and ignoring the protest of the other men, Sehun turned and ran towards Baekhyun. Coaxing the dog to jump into his arms, he once more headed toward the lifeboat. Just as he was about to climb aboard his foot fell through the floor. Baekhyun went sailing into the arms of the man holding the rope and the small boat dropped into the water.

Luhan watched in horror as Sehun struggled to free his foot. A popping noise was heard before Luhan was thrown from the side of the ship by a loud explosion. As he looked around underwater he saw pieces of the ship soiling the water around him. Managing to get back to the surface he searched for Sehun. Spotting a figure weakly clutching the side of a plank he swam towards it. The body slipped off the piece of wood and dipped below the surface. Diving after him Luhan grabbed his body and pulled him to the surface.

After what seemed to be an eternity of swimming Luhan finally made it to shore. Pulling the unconscious prince onto the sand he sat and looked at him. The prince was even more handsome up close. Luhan couldn’t help but stoke his cheek as the soft ocean breeze blew around them. Finding himself inspired he began to softly sing. Cracking his eyes due to the bright sunlight, Sehun could barely make out the face of his rescuer. A beautiful song soothed his ears as he struggled to clear his mind.

“W-who are you?” Sehun whispered.

A barking dog was heard along with some shouts near them on the beach. Gasping Luhan dove back into the ocean and hid behind a rock. He watched as The Prince was helped by his servants and barking dog.  Looking at him longingly he perched himself atop and rock and made a vow.

‘Someday we will be together. I’m sure of it.’

Luhan thought to himself before he dipped beneath the surface again.

Out of the corner of his eye Sehun could have sworn he saw a tail slip beneath the waves.