Crumpled

Subway No. 8 (ON HOLD)

Seol Mi couldn't remember the last time she had a nightmare. Her entire life was a living one anyway. Not to say she's used to it, more like she learnt to accept it. She learnt right from the start when she was being told that her parents left her, she was alone, that she could not do much but to cope with her life. No love given except for fresh breads given by friendly grandmothers. Never had enough money to support her life with the current job(s) she attend to, forcing her to work through the night in run down bars. There's nothing left to lose for Seol Mi in life, she has nobody who will actually notice her disappearance on the surface of earth. People call this miserable, but she calls it life.

In her nightmare Seol Mi was running, running from nothing in particular. In a distance she could hear voices. Voices that call for her, voices in a distant memory that screamed at her. She stopped running when she heard whispers in her ear. "You are a nobody." "Nobody cares for you" "You are alone forever." All the soft whispers caused her to close her eyes and cover her ears with both hands. She doesn't want to hear it, even if she knows very well that it's the truth. Seol Mi scrunched down and started shivering.

Now, laughter were taken place as she pictured herself in the middle of a crowd of young children. Everyone had evil glint in their eyes and they were wearing a smirk. They were laughing at something. No, they were laughing at her. They screamed insults at her. "Orphan!" "Where's your mother? Oh I forgot, she threw you away because you are unwanted!" 

Young Seol Mi was shivering, afraid of everyone, afraid of what they're trying to imply. She was unwanted, alone, tossed aside. She couldn't take it and ran away from everyone, from the laughter that is slowly engulfing her senses. 

Seol Mi started running again. From the images that was the past, the horror that she has been experiencing everyday. Images started floating in her mind again. Her being kicked in the stomach by her schoolmates. Her lunch being thrown into the toilet bowl. Her hair being pulled by girls. From kindergarden to high school, her life was never peaceful.

Tears streamed down Seol Mi's face. "Why. What did I do to deserve all of this." She thought to herself. She knows well she needs to stop asking hows and whys and start working hard for her life. But she feels betrayed, by God itself. Does God hate her that much too? 

She slowed down as she reached a once familiar house. It was her house. It was the house of her biological parents who abandoned her. She heard people speaking, or rather shouting, as she closed the house. It was them, their parents.

“How many times should I scream at you to not touch my work! Look what you did? You messed up my art work! To think I have to use up all my time working on these to keep you alive, you worthless piece of crap! You are so useless!” Her mother screamed at a young girl, probably at the age of 4, with her father sitting at the couch reading the papers.

The girl, which Seol Mi quickly realize was herself, was crying hard as a slap landed on her right cheek. Seol Mi gasped. Her mother slapped her. And it wasn’t just once. She was slapped hard on her left cheek, leaving a red mark. The man sitting on the couch supposedly being her father, didn’t even spare a glance at the event, as if this was all too common in the household.

After numerous slaps and her mother calling her names, Seol Mi found herself tearing up.

Torn, helpless and hurt, Seol Mi left the house. She wouldn’t want to stay and witness her mother abuse her younger self. It was like a stab to her heart. She asked herself once again.

“Am I ever loved by anyone?”

At a distance, she heard her name being called. It was a stranger’s voice she couldn’t recognize. She ran towards the voice calling for her. She felt herself being embraced by warmth. An unknown feeling she liked. "What is this feeling?”


It’s been nearly 3 hours since Seol Mi was unconscious, and Soonyoung was worried. He had checked her pulses and heartbeat and even did an x-ray, coming to a conclusion that kept Soonyoung pacing around his office.

The girl, his porcelain doll, was diagnosed with Leukemia. That’s not it, it’s at the final, most lethal stage. She was good as dead in a few years.

Soonyoung crumpled onto the seat by the pale girl’s bedside. She was flinching and she was drenched with sweat. Yet, to Soonyoung, she was beautiful. He caressed her pale skin and grabbed her hand. “Angel.” He whispered to himself and sighed desperately. He couldn’t, and wouldn’t let her slip away from him so easily.

It doesn’t take a genius to know that Soonyoung is spectacularly fond of the pale girl lying on the bed. Soonyoung clutched onto her hand tightly. Ever since he saw her on the subway, he was sure he would protect her from anything willingly. But he never expected an obstacle like death to appear so suddenly.

“No. I won’t let you die.” Soonyoung whispered and let his fingers her hair ever so lightly.

It’s funny how he would do anything for a girl whom he don’t even know the name of.

He made a grab for the bag on the side table and rummaged through her belongings. He found her identity card, and her name spells.

“Seol Mi, Kim Seol Mi?” So his angel’s name is Seol Mi. He smiled to himself. “Beautiful, just as the bearer of the name.”

He shook the girl lightly. “Seol Mi-sshi, please wake up.” She flinched but didn’t make an attempt to open her eyes. Slowly, the frown on her forehead disappeared, formed a small, heart shaped smile. Soonyoung smiled at the sight of this.

He was amazed by how easily this girl affects him.

“Seol Mi-sshi?” He called for the girl once again and this time, Seol Mi fluttered her eyes open. She looked stunned by the stranger in front of her.

“Who are you? Where am I?” Was her first question. She was confused. One moment ago she was working, the next she’s on a bed with a handsome stranger beside her?

“Come to think of it. The man was no stranger at all.” Seol Mi thought and widen her eyes

“Wait, I’ve seen you before.” She said and eyed the man suspiciously. Soonyoung grinned. “She remembers.” He thought to himself gleefully.

But there was a problem at the moment. The few seconds of glory of having the girl of Soonyoung’s dreams (literally, he’s been dreaming of her) remembering him was replaced with grief.

Leukemia

“Seol Mi-sshi. I’m Doctor Kwon. You fainted at your work place 4 hours ago and was sent to this hospital.” He explained. Seol Mi scratched her head and was astonished that he knew her name.

As if he read her mind, he explained that he found her identity card and therefore letting him know her name.

“Seol Mi, can you stand? I have some important news to tell you.” Soonyoung reached out to help Seol Mi stand, which she respond by declining his help and stood up herself.

Soonyoung sat behind his desk and gestured for Seol Mi to take a seat. “Seol Mi-sshi. I have something to break it to you. I hope you’ll be calm, can you promise me that?” Soonyoung asked, his tight expression softened as Seol Mi nodded lightly. Here goes.

“You have Leukemia, Seol Mi.” Soonyoung said, looking at the girl with worried eyes.

“Leukemia? What’s that? Is that something bad? Can it be cured?” She asked, earning a saddening gaze from Soonyoung.

“It’s at the final stage, Seol Mi. It can’t be cured. You have at most, 2 more years to live.” Soonyoung whispered the last part, hoping the girl couldn’t hear the scary fact..

Of course, Seol Mi heard every last bit of Soonyoung’s statement, and she was lost for words. She couldn’t register anything. Seol Mi’s mind went completely blank.

At that moment, Seol Mi’s world fell into pieces, as if it wasn’t years ago. This is worse.

She’s a dying soul.


I alway want to protect you
So that even the small things won’t tire you out, I’m eternally in love
-EXO, Angel


{A/N}

YES 

ONE OF MY FAVORITE EXO SONGS.

I'M SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG

COLLEGE, EW

BUT FOR CHINESE READERS, HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!

GET LOADS OF ANG PAU OK<3

I WILL WORK HARD FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER.

ALTHOUGH THIS CHAPTER ISN'T AS IMPRESSIVE, I KNOW :C

I WILL TRY FOR ALL OF YOU :*

meanwhile

GIFS

lol go away wonwoo we all don't like you. (kidding i love you idiot)

here's our lovely doctor Kwon although he doesn't act like one psh

SeokButtttttt. I might consider adding this idiot in my story but idk. He's too dumb.

THAT'S IT FOR TODAYYY, UNTIL NEXT TIME 0w0

-shunandseokie