The First Meeting

Subway No. 8 (ON HOLD)

12th March 2012

Dear Diary, today was eventless. Boss wouldn't let me handle the surgery. That grumpy old man hates me. He never lets me do ANYTHING AT ALL. 

At least I graduated medical school earlier than he ever did. 

I hope he'll open his eyes and realize I am actually just as qualified as that Jung Jin Dae or whatever (his favorite pupil).

Signing off for the day, Soonyoung.

 

Soonyoung closed his diary and put it away into his work bag. People think it's odd for a grown man like him to update his daily activities in his diary, but its a habit of his, to fill in the pages of the diary, no matter if the day he spent was eventful or just as boring as it was 5 days a week. 

He inherited the diary from his mother. Who told him since he was 6 that "writing is a great way to express our feelings" which he responded everytime that "playing basketball is also a great way to express my feelings" (which he will then earn a light slap on the head from his mother.)

In fact, he loved writing, seeing that his literature and writing skills was always excellent since kindergarden. 

He's used to writing in the subway on his way back home. It's a way to pass time and to lessen communication with people around, or to avoid the chance of witnessing a full blown make out around him. It wasn't a sight he would recommend anyone to see. 

You see, Soonyoung wasn't a romantic person, nor is he a flirtatious person. The count of girls he has ever talked to, well over 5, if his female colleagues and mother are counted in too. Being a basketball representative in high school did not change the way he is, or his academic results.

No crushes, no girlfriends, no nothing. He's been with him, Wonwoo (his childhood friend), his bunch of Basketball addict friends, him, his basketball, and well, himself only. He doesn't consider himself as socially awkward. No, he's just not as "time wasting as the others", as he would always tell Wonwoo and comment about his countless girlfriends.

He's actually curious about love. What or how is it like to hopelessly fall in love with a person, and spent the rest of his life with her? To commit for one person and do anything for her? He's curious but he's not ready to accept love just yet. 

11:50P.M, the subway was almost empty. He's pretty much alone (minus the homeless man dozing off in a corner.)

He checked his mobile for any messages from his mother. None. She's probably catching up with her weekly dramas, too busy to care if he's home for supper yet or not.

The subway came to a halt at the Apgujeong station. The doors opened and a girl stumbled into the subway. She sat herself on a seat opposite his.

Completely unaware of another stranger's presence, she fell asleep. 

Soonyoung observed the girl. She's definitely in her 20's. She's skinny, too skinny for her good. But her face, was so beautiful. Long eyelashes, redden cheeks, sharp cheekbones and thin lips. Her black hair was pushed back into a messy ponytail, allowing Soonyoung full access to stare at her face while she was asleep.

Soonyoung felt flustered. He had a sudden tug in his heart, like he had the responsibility to protect this doll-like girl from harm. 

"What's this feeling." He whispered. He couldn't seem to tear his eyes from her pale figure. Time stopped for Soonyoung. Nothing else mattered besides this beautiful stranger. 

"Ding. We are now reaching Sangdo." The reminder system brought him back to reality. Sangdo, it's his stop.

He grabbed his work bag and stood up, ready to leave the subway, to leave her, alone.

He turned to look at the still figure. "Will she be safe alone?" He thought. He furrowed his eyebrows.

Soonyoung did something he never thought he would do. He walked towards the girl and sat right beside her. He was planning to stay with her, to keep her company until her stop.

"Ding ding, the door will now close." Therefore signaling that Soonyoung will have to take a taxi back home. "Doesn't matter, at least she's safe." Soonyoung smiled.


12:30A.M. Seol Mi has been sleeping peacefully for 30 whole minutes. In her dreams, she was working in her own bakery, baking delicious bread for customers, living her desired life. She was happy, but only in her dreams. 

Seol Mi lives a hard life. Orphaned since 3, she fought hard to raise herself, to complete her studies in high school. But since she could not afford any college, she decided to do part time jobs to earn money. 3 different jobs a day, it isn't something anybody could actually do. 

Seol Mi does not ask for much. She only wish to open a bakery. It was her lifelong dream since youth. 

She used to know an ahjumma down the street of her orphanage. The ahjumma often present her with freshly baked pastries everytime she walk by her house. But ever since the ahjumma past away, Seol Mi wants to taste a freshly baked pastry once again, since she could not even afford warm pastries.

"Ding. We are now reaching Daerim." Seol Mi woke up. Daerim, that's her stop!

She turned to collect her bag. But was met with a man's sleeping face. 

"holy damn, who's this guy." She thought. "Did he do something to me." She checked her body, no scratches or anything.

"Ding ding, the door will now close." The reminder rang to signal the closing doors. Although having second thoughts about the (handsome) stranger, Seol Mi dashed out of the subway before she missed her station, but she glanced back at the still sleeping man. 

"Who is he?" She asked herself once again.


"Sir? Sir?" Soonyoung opened his eyes to see a man shaking his shoulders.

"Sir? We have reached the last stop of the night. Can you please step out of the subway?" The man asked politely.

Soonyoung's first reaction was to look to his left, to check if she's still here. No one. Nobody but him. "She went off already?" He thought.

Walking out of the station, his mind was filled with the stranger. As he called for a taxi, he wondered if she got home safely.

For once, Soonyoung prayed. "Dear God, let me meet her again." He stared hopefully at the sky. He wants to see her again. He wished for a second meeting

A second meeting that isn't what he exactly wish for. 


“This is going to sound crazy, but... from the moment I first set eyes on you I haven't been able to stop thinking about you.” 

― Leigh FallonCarrier of the Mark

 


 

{AUTHOR'S NOTE:}

WOOHOO! Chapter 1 is up ^^ I couldn't sleep the whole night so I decided to write the chapter :p

So this is how they met. 

I am really sorry if I messed up the stations or how it works because I'm not Korean. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Well I couldn't think of any girl to potray as Seol Mi. IF you have any suggestions, comment and tell me! :D

I hope you enjoy this chapter and keep anticipating for moreeeee~ 

-shunandseokie