Day 4: Reunited

Jungle Book

*   *   *   *   *

 

You woke up and found Chanyeol sleeping on a chair, his head and arms resting on your bed. You can’t see his face because he was facing the bed, so without disturbing the giant baby’s sleep, you swept his hair once, twice; your fingers sweeping gently through the strands of his hair. You slowly get off your bed and went to the washroom by yourself. After you wash up, you thought that it might be a good idea to actually get out of your room and get some sunshine. So, out you go, after greeting some nurses and answered about your condition, you went outside to the hospital’s park.

The atmosphere was hot and humid, just like in the island, but here is noisier. If you close your eyes and concentrate, you could actually hear noises from the outside. Wind against trees, waves of the ocean smashing to the earth, and … cars, people, constructions…. Cars; honking, speeding up or pressing the brake. People chatting here and there, calling for each other, rushing from one place to another. The rhythm of construction works; tools hitting the concrete wall. Oh how you’ve missed busy everyday life. For days, you can only hear the nature in your ears and now, the reality of you coming back to your real life is making its way to your body and mind.

 

___

 

Chanyeol opened his eyes and instantly panicked. You’re not on your bed. You’re not in the room.

“(Y/N)?” he checked the room once again.

Aish, where did she go again!?” he thought to himself.

He started going outside, asking people with his limited English, asking if they saw a girl from the room he pointed. Good thing people understand, because they pointed him to the hospital park, knowing it’s you that he meant. He rushed outside, his lips almost scream out your name as he reach the open air. But then he saw you there; in the middle of the park, eyes closed, face lifted to the sky, arms resting on your sides. You looked so peaceful and now that you’ve washed your hair and everything; beautiful. He halted his steps and stood there for a few second; admiring you.

You felt a pair of hands slipped between your arms and your body, easily wrapping you with warmth. You knew one person that would do this. Without opening your eyes, you greeted him.

“Morning, giant.”

“Why alone? 했어야 나를 깨워,” Chanyeol sounded disappointed and you knew he was talking about why you didn’t wake him up.

“Sorry. You’re sleeping like a baby, you know,” you teased, turning around and loosening his grip on you. Chanyeol pouted on your words, making the cutest face you ever seen from him. You instantly smiled and tiptoed to pinch his cheeks, “Giant baby~!”

That made Chanyeol pouted more, which in turn made you laughed.

You both enjoyed some time at the hospital park, talking about the things you could hear and see here that you couldn't in the last 3 days. After getting enough sunshine, you both decided to go back to your room as it’s almost noon. You were walking hand in hand with Chanyeol, still laughing at how good Chanyeol imitated the few nurses here.

Then, you heard your name being spoken by a familiar voice. A voice you know better than anybody else in your life. You lifted your head to the source of the sound and your eyes instantly water.

Your parents.

There, right in front of you, in front of the hospital counter, asking the nurse about you: both your father and mother.

 

(a/n: let’s just say your native language is English because it’s easiest this way :p)

 

“MOM!!!” you cried out and let go of Chanyeol’s hands, running to your mom.

“(Y/N)!!” your mother called back and opened her arms, her eyes instantly filled with tears. Embracing you, your mother and father hugged you ever so tightly, your mom showering you with kisses before taking you in her arms again, thanking God for you being alive and well.

Chanyeol excused himself from the scene, giving you time with your family, knowing that it’s not his place there. He decided to take a shower and made his way to the bathroom.

After finally being able to gather yourself from the shower of worried questions from your parents, you look back to where Chanyeol stood, planning to introduce him to your parents. But of course he wasn’t there.

“Honey, it was him, wasn’t it? The boy that survived with you?” your mom noticed that you were looking for him.

You nodded, not knowing what to answer.

“I’m sure he’s still here somewhere. I would like to thank him for looking after my baby girl,” your mom continued, gently walking you to your hospital room. Her words got you blushing and the image of Chanyeol meeting your parents got your heart racing.

 

You went to your hospital room and had your prepared hospital lunch. Your father went out for a while to buy lunch for your mother and him. He also bought another portion of lunch, just in case he met the guy that had accompanied his beloved daughter for the last three days.

You were talking to your mother when you heard two guys talking outside your room. Both men’s voices were pretty recognisable for you; your dad’s and Chanyeol’s.

“Aish, what are they doing outside? I hope dad doesn't embarrass me,” you unconsciously talked aloud, causing your mother to chuckle.

Before you could get down from your bed to see that is happening between your dad and Chanyeol, the door opens, revealing your dad; smiling and inviting Chanyeol in, while Chanyeol were bowing and politely refusing to come in, not wanting to ruin your family time. To this, your mother quickly stood up and asked Chanyeol to come in too, leaving him without any choice but to enter the room, not forgetting to bow at your mom before taking his position across your feet.

“He’s been waiting outside, you know? And has been refusing the food I bought for him too,” your dad pointed at Chanyeol, who is now washed and cleaned, his hair still somewhat wet. Chanyeol is in his polite stance; one hand holding the other in front of him. He was holding a box, the same box that your dad is holding two of them right now.

“Right. Dad, this is Park Chanyeol. Chanyeol, my dad. Mom, Park Chanyeol. Chanyeol, my mom” you formally introduced him to your parents and your parents to him.

“(Y/N) mom, dad, nice to meet you,” Chanyeol shook their hands one by one.

“So, you’re Korean?” your dad asked.

“네(ne)(yes)!”

“He’s an idol, dad. Just like the ones on my room’s posters,” you explained.

“Ohh, so you have a lot of fans?” your mom asked, gesturing her question.

“아(ah), 아니요(no)...” Chanyeol shook his head and hands.

"He does, actually. His group get quite a lot of fame lately,"

"헤헤(hehe), 감사합니다(thank you)," Chanyeol bowed.

“Well, at least your money went to well-mannered man like him,” your mom said to you, causing you to pout.

“Anyway, thank you, Chanyeol. (Y/N) must’ve caused you a lot of trouble. Thank you for taking care of our spoiled, unruly baby girl,”

“MOM!!” you protested.

“아니요, (Y/N) help me,” he pointed back at you.

"Chanyeol, when will your parents arrive?" your mom continued talking.

"Twelve..."

"Oh, there's still an hour until they arrive," your dad said, earning a nod from Chanyeol.

"네... Manager도.. 함께.."

"Ah, his parents are coming along with his manager. I guess his company would have to do something about the media... and about me…"

"Hm, I see. Life of an idol, huh. Can they make you stay hidden though? Or do you want to be exposed dear?"

"No, I would also prefer to stay unknown... K-pop fans are scary sometimes," you replied.

"Chanyeol, can you help us with that? We don’t want the public to know about (Y/N),"

"난 내 최선을 다할 것입니다(I will try my best)," Chanyeol nodded his answer. "그그들은 또한 그녀를 숨길 선호(they would also prefer to hide her). SM도..."

"Thank you, Chanyeol," your mom replied.

"Anyway, I’m really thankful you’re both well. It’s a true miracle. Though I’m really sorry for those that didn’t make it,” your mom can’t stop talking, can she? “Especially Kate...”

And with those words, the atmosphere turned grim. Your eyes water again, remembering that you would have to go back to your world and face Kate’s mourning family. Guilt washed over you again, felt like it should’ve been you who died, felt like she deserved this life more than you.

“울지마(uljima)(don’t cry)…” Chanyeol patted your feet, reminding you to be strong. You quickly took a deep breath, and with your parents holding you tight, you fight back your tears.

 

With your limited Korean, you helped your parents communicate with Chanyeol. Turns out they were quite curious of him, asking about his career, his fans, his family, and many more.

 

---

 

You’re still in the middle of a conversation when you heard a knock on your hospital door. The door opens and a voice called:

“찬열아(Chanyeol-ah).....?”

 

“엄마(EOMMA)!!” Chanyeol jumped. The noise had sent jolts of electricity throughout his body. He ran to the door, bending his knees to embrace a woman in glasses. Her hair was tied in a low ponytail, she’s probably in her early 50s. She is quite thin, and in his embrace, her mom seemed so small and frail. He lifted her up and spins her around; expressing how happy he is meeting the woman he loved most.

After spinning her twice, he let her go and went to hug the man beside her, a man whose hair had been touched by a few strands of grey and white. He is quite fit compared to his wife, and even as tiredness can be seen in his eyes, he too had smiled with immeasurable gladness when he sees his son. Chanyeol’s mom had shed tears from the moment her eyes met her son’s, and as the three of them relished their longing for each other in a hug, you can hear quiet sobs escape her lips.

As Chanyeol’s family reunites, your notice another man behind them. He is much younger than Chanyeol’s parents, probably in his late 20s or maybe early 30s. Since you knew Chanyeol didn’t have any brother, you concluded that he must’ve been his manager, or maybe someone SM sent to talk things out with you and your family.

Only after Chanyeol let go of their parents that he realize the presence of the other man.

“형(HYUNG)!!” Chanyeol went and hug him too which was returned by the man and both of them patted each other’s back.

 

* * *

 

After a brief introduction and a short chat, Chanyeol’s manager starts his job. Along with your parents, he told you about the plan SM had for you and Chanyeol.

Here’s the deal: since both of your flight hour was not that far long from each other, you and Chanyeol will arrive at the airport together, just so that it doesn't seem like the idol is ‘abandoning’ his ‘new friend’. To hide your identity, they had contacted the local government to give your identity as a survivor as minimum as possible, perhaps just your first name and your age. You would also be covered with hat and mask on your way to the airport gate. Inside the airport, you two would be separated immediately. No more seeing each other. Period. No excuses whatsoever.

They also suggest you to change all of your SNS account to protect yourself just in case someone found out your identity; in which they think is very likely. They also asked you to not tell anything about your experience to anyone that is outside your nuclear family, and to make sure the story didn’t go any further than that. He said SM would decide on what Chanyeol and his company would say to public about that happened between the two of you. You would then only follow the story that the people know.

He also warned you about the power SM had in Korea and the power of fans; what would happened if you expose any kind of ‘more than casual friend’ relationship with Chanyeol. Chanyeol’s communication with you and the other way around would be monitored. They even asked you to not contact each other, knowing that Chanyeol’s SNS were also in the mercy of a few sasaengs. Any sign of relationship might start a war.

Aware of the fact that this is for the best for everyone, you agreed on everything, including on the term of not contacting Chanyeol. Yes, your heart aches bad inside. Your hopes had been brought up and down again and again. You could feel emptiness already. Not having Chanyeol in your life anymore felt like losing a friend, losing your source of energy, losing your happiness.

This is for the best of everyone. For him, for his career, for his family and his brothers, for my family and for me. It’s okay I’m hurt. As long as no one touch my family. It’s okay. I can do this. Everything’s gonna be okay,” you kept on telling yourself.

 

 

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

 

 

Hours passed and it’s time for you to head to the airport. Chanyeol’s manager had rented two vans, one for his family and one for yours. As soon as you arrive at the airport, you knew that the news of his survival had spread all around the world from the amount of girls that gather. It’s not that many compared to the usual airport mess that idols made, but enough to put your identity in danger. There were about 20-30 girls, all around your age, all with cameras ready at their hands. Some brought banner; in Korean and in English, welcoming Chanyeol back. Some had apparently been crying, perhaps too happy that Chanyeol made it through alive.

Both of your vehicles stopped about 15m from the front line of humans. Chanyeol’s manager got out of the van first, taking care of the guards, luggage, tickets, and everything. He then knocks on your van, giving your family permission to get out of the car.

Your heart raced. You fitted your black cap and pull up your mask to cover yourself.

This is it,” you think to yourself. “This is the last time I’m going to see him.”

You saw Chanyeol’s family made their way out of their car. As soon as Chanyeol appeared, the crowd went crazy. His eyes were hidden behind a pair of heavy tinted sunglasses, wearing a black long sleeved t-shirt, a pair of ripped jeans and a pair of black slippers, he look so casual and appealing. Everyone was calling for him. They waved at him, trying to get his attention.

Once he is fully outside, he bowed. A full 90° folder bow to appreciate the love he had received. The girls went crazier, shouts and cheers rings through your ears.

Looking at the crowd, you felt so out of place. You were usually there, between the sea of girls, jumping screaming, waving at your idol to grab their attention. But here you are, on the same side of the idol, looking at the lively and scary crown at the same time. You finally understand when they say, ‘the fans’ love gave us strength’. You can’t help but smile beneath that piece of clothing that covered your nose and lips. Even in the corner of the world where no one would expect anything, the amount of love and support displayed for Chanyeol was immense.

Your thoughts were derailed when the manager waved at you and your family, signalling for you and your parents to come in first. You tighten your grey cardigan around yourself and hung your head low, avoiding any contact with the fans.

Passing through Chanyeol and his family on your war to the entrance, you felt a strong hand tugged at your elbow, stopping you from walking any further. Without lifting your head, you look at the hand that kept you from moving. You recognise that sleeve; it was Chanyeol’s. Knowing the risk of showing any relationship, you sharply pull your elbow back, freeing yourself. But before you could even took another step, the hand found its way back to you again, this time on your shoulders.

Visible to the crowd, Chanyeol’s contact with you had them screaming louder. Even from the distance, you could hear gasps of surprise, followed by a few ‘wooo!!’s, ‘kyaaaaa!!’s, and a lot of angry curses that you don’t and didn’t want to understand. Knowing that they had seen the contact, you have no other choice but stay beside him. His manager rolled his eyes from his hasty and selfish action, knowing that he had ruined his plan and he would have to deal about it somehow.

“엄마, 아빠가, 먼저 이동합니다(mom, dad, go first),” you heard Chanyeol spoke from behind you, earning a smile from his parents before they let go of him and break the crowd just behind your parents.

After making sure both your parents made it inside safely, he signalled for both of you to start your way. For him, this might be just another day at the airport. But for you, facing a crowd like this is incredibly hard. You were scared, so scared that your legs didn't even want to leave their current place beside Chanyeol. You can’t lift your head, your body won’t move, your muscles tighten.

Feeling your body rigid under his palms, Chanyeol lowered himself and whisper to your ears, “토끼아, 괜찮아 (Bunny, it’s okay). 난 여기있어(I’m here).”

You melted right in.

You could feel yourself relaxed at his words. You took a deep breath and nodded. You can do this.

“가자(let’s go),” he said, a little bit louder now as he straighten himself, wrapping one of his arm around your shoulder, gently pulling you along. You lifted your legs one after another, following his steady, strong steps, guiding you through the mob.

 

 

 

He is still here with you. It’s gonna be okay.