Day 3: Help

Jungle Book

You woke up to a humming above your head. A melody unfamiliar to you; sweet, beautiful, but a little bit sad at the same time. Chanyeol, obviously, who else, kept on humming and you tried your best to remember the song because it is really beautiful. You slowly took in your surroundings. To your surprise, your head were resting on something that’s moving, slowly, constantly, up and down. You can feel fingers caressing your hair to the beat of the song hummed.

Am i…?” you start to think…

Yes. You were sleeping on Chanyeol’s chest. You must have moved your body unconsciously in you sleep to have your head facing his body like this. He is still in his sleeping bag, but that doesn’t change the fact that your head were comfortably resting on his torso. And he didn’t seem to bother even a little, because it is his fingers that are playing with your hair.

You quickly straighten up and put some distance from Chanyeol, not to forget tying up your hair back as he must have untie it when you’re asleep. You blushed hard. That position just now is so intimate. And the way his fingers combs through your hair like that...

He makes you feel things that you knew all too well, but this time much stronger than ever before. Let’s be honest, it’s not like you have never been in love before. Or at least, you thought you were in love. This time, however, with Chanyeol, everything that you ever thought was ‘love’ seemed to become nothing more than a simple crush.

The feeling that you’re safe and secure within his arms, the feeling that you just wanted to stop the time, just to have the both of you doing nothing but embracing each other all day. Having both of you cuddling like that felt too good to be true.

Is this what ‘love’ actually felt like?

“Morning, bunny,” Chanyeol greeted you and smiled.

“Morning…” you replied, still not looking at him.

“토끼야 (tokki-ya)… 왜(wae)?” he asked innocently.

“Ani, it’s okay,” you calmed yourself and turn to look at him. Chanyeol gave you a smile. But something is wrong with his smile.

It’s weak.

Chanyeol has never given you a weak smile before. His smile was always the brightest and always the fullest. His smile that has always given you strength, given you encouragement and comfort, has just now felt like fading. He looked exhausted, his face a little bit flushed and sweaty. You didn’t felt like the weather is hot, so it must have been his fever. He put his hand to his forehead and wipes his forehead to his cheeks, letting out a sigh.

“He must have been in a really bad headache,” you think to yourself as you reach out to press the back of your hand at his forehead.

He is burning hot.

“Damn it,” you muttered and quickly step out of the shelter, you need to do something to his condition.

“어디가는거야 (eodiganeungeoya)(where are you going)?” you heard Chanyeol faintly call out. He raised his head to look at you.

“Water. Don’t move, okay, giant?”

“응…” Chanyeol sighed as he rest his head back to his sleeping bag. Perhaps he is too weak to ask you anymore question or to protest, so he just lay back down.

His head is killing him, the headache is making him hard to even sit straight. He can’t even get back to sleep. That’s why he has been singing and combing your hair, it calms him to have you there with him, hoping that he might just get more rest. He has been feeling cold since last night, and he knows his fever is getting worse so he didn’t want to move around too much. However, he felt sorry for you because you have to take care of him too now. Still too dizzy to move, he closed his eyes.

 

***

 

“Chanyeol…” your voice woke him up.

“음…” he opened his eyes and as his eyes adjust, he took your hand, helping him to sit straight.

“Here, drink this for now,” you offered him the last coconut that you both have.

“아니(ani), 괜찮아(gwencanha). 먼저 가세요(meonjeo gaseyo)(you first),” he slightly shook his head and gestured you to have it before him. Even with his condition, he still offers you to go and drink first.

“No, you have to drink this first,” you said and pulled his hands up and made him hold the coconut with you. Obviously, your fingers touched, his long slender ones enveloping your tiny ones. But after what you woke up to just now, fingers touch were not that much to fuss about.. You didn’t let go of the coconut yourself because you’re afraid his arms might be weak and he might spill it. You slowly help him drink, supporting the coconut for him as he gulps down the coconut water.

As he finished drinking, he smiled again at you, this time the smile is stronger, more energized, even if it’s just a little. You sighed and smiled back at him, relieved, before pressing the coconut against your own lips and drank. You were going to leave to check on your water supplies when Chanyeol took a grip of your wrist.

“(Y/N)-ah…”

“What now, Chanyeol?”

“가지마(kajima)(don’t go)… sit…” he patted the space beside him where you sat before.

The way he asked you to not leave him. It breaks your heart seeing how weak he is right now. His condition is not the worst, but even like this has already making your heart ache. You can’t possibly say no, and so you sat back down and make yourself confortable. Chanyeol lay back down and pulled you down too, surprising you.

“Oi!!” you tried to sound your protest, but without any use.

He pulled your shoulder and positions you so that your head were once again resting on his chest, then he wraps his arms around you. Your heart instantly went racing again, your face’s blood vessels dilate. You can feel his muscles vibrate as he chuckles because of how you instantly froze. Soon enough, his fingers untie your hairband. He let out a deep, relaxed sigh and smiled to himself. His fingers found its position between the strands of your hair again and started playing with it. However, that doesn’t last for long, because you soon realized his fingers stopped moving and he started letting out quiet snores

Ah, he’s asleep already…” you thought and smiled. “Maybe I could get used to this… His arms around me…” you admitted to yourself.

You tried to relax and maybe get some sleep too, but your mind won’t let you rest. You kept on thinking about things you should do to help Chanyeol recover as soon as he can. Getting more clean water at the stream, finding more fruits to eat, getting a fire going to make warm water, there are so many things you would like to do. Plus, if you remember correctly, your water bottle is still at the river bank after you threw it yesterday, along with your wet clothes and your towel.

“Chanyeol?” you whispered quietly, wanting to make sure he’s asleep. When you hear no answer, you slowly and carefully shift your body away from him, putting his hands away from your hair, and place it back on his body. When you finally managed to sat straight without any reaction from Chanyeol, you smiled to yourself and looked back at him.

“I’ll be back, okay?” you whisper again, gently his forehead, pulling his hair back, adoring this puppy face in front of you.

“조심해(josimhae)(be careful)” you heard him faintly from behind you as you stood up outside your shelter.

Well, turns out you did wake him up, but maybe he’s too sleepy now to fuss about you leaving again. Besides, he must’ve understood that you need to do a lot more things than just lying there with him. And so off you go, first to gather the things you left out back at the river, then to find some food.

 

***

 

You must’ve took a lot of time gathering foods because when you got back, Chanyeol was awake and was playing with his guitar. As soon as he sees you with so many things in your hands, that is; your towel and clothes at your shoulder, your water bottle and a bunch of bananas at your left hand, Chanyeol’s bottle and a coconut at your right hand, and another coconuts dribbling in front of your feet because, well, you can’t carry anymore, so you’ve been kicking it like a soccer ball, Chanyeol quickly stood and start walking towards you.

He should’ve known better that standing up so quickly from sitting on the ground wouldn’t do him any good, because his feet starts to waver and he staggered forward, one hand holding his head the other searching for something to keep his balance. Seeing him totter, you dropped everything in your hand and ran to him, taking his hand and helping him sit back down. He gave you an apologetic smile, regretting what he did and thanking you afterwards.

---

After taking care of your food and drinks, you tried gathering as many dry twigs and leafs as possible to make some fire while Chanyeol got back to his guitar. Some of the branches were still damp, but at least you’ve got to try lighting it up, or you won’t be able to eat.

After a few failed attempts, you managed to light up some fire and start grilling the unripe bananas right away. You also put your water bottle near the fire to warm the water up, planning to make a warm compression for Chanyeol to help his fever go down. When you finally had nothing to do but wait, you turn your attention to Chanyeol and shove him his refilled water bottle to drink. Without any antibiotic and antipyretic, all you can do right now is just helping his immune system to regain control against the infection, and that can be done by for example making sure he had enough water and rest.

 

***

 

“토끼야 (tokki-ya)…” Chanyeol called.

“Huh?” you raised your head to look at him and *SNAP* your face was met with his phone’s camera.

“YAA PARKCHANEYOL!! Delete that right now!!” you tried grabbing his phone, because you’re sure you look like a mess right now and that picture of yours would be too ugly.

“아니, 결코 (no, never)! 야(ya)!! 귀여워(gwiyeowo)!!”

“Kiyeowo?! Cute?! From what angle did you see that picture to say I am cute? Give me your phone!” you tried stretching your arms but of course his arms re far longer than yours, making it out of your reach.

“야(ya)!! 진짜 귀여워(jinjja gwiyeowo)(really cute)!!” he smiled again and showed you the picture from out of your hands reach.

It was your surprised face, complete with the dirty face and the messy hair. Not to mention, you looked extremely un-girlish. Well, jungle survival had of course made their mark on your face because you can see your skin was definitely burnt. Overall, it was definitely not your best picture.

“Yaa! Delete that!!”

Chanyeol gently pushed you back while laughing and moved his index finger side by side. “no no no,” he teased.

You crossed your arms and pouted, sulking.

“Oh, this! cute!” Chanyeol point his camera at you again.

“Stop it!” you blocked your face with one hand and the camera with the other.

“Bunny, please! One! One!!” he tried bargaining with you.

“Nope!”

“제발(jebal), please!” he asked again.

Still sulking, you shot him a death glare via his phone’s camera.

“Ya, (Y/N), smile!” Chanyeol popped his head out and grinned his usual teeth rich grin. You tried your best to not smile seeing him that happy and you succeed because he soon slumped his shoulders and looked disappointed.

“Bunny-ah, together?” he offered and positions himself beside you, ready to take a selca.

“Smileeeee~” he raised his arms and smile at the camera. Still acting sulky, you didn’t look at the camera.

“One more!” he made a peace sign and put it between his left eye. This time, you gave up and smiled at the camera too.

“oohhh~!” he was a bit surprised to see you go along with him. “One more!” he insisted. This time, he made a derp face and you too made a funny face.

“oooh!! This! Cute! Good!” he got excited over your last picture, where both of you look equally weird and derp. You too can’t help but laughed.

You took your own phone and called for him, taking another set of pictures; the normal smiling ones, the freestyle one, and finally the derp one. Happy that you had something to keep to yourself as a reminder of this adventure, you smiled to yourself while staring at the pictures.

---

Looking through your gallery, you stumble upon you and Kate’s selca just before you board the deadly plane. Just like that, your smile faded completely. Forcing back your tears, you quickly turn off you phone’s screen and look up to the bright blue sky. A lot of things went through your head as you review what happened in the last 72 hours.

What happened to both you and Chanyeol was something that is more than strong enough to ignite a psychological trauma. Now that you think about it, if you were to go through everything in the last 3 days with someone other than Chanyeol, you might had just went to some sort of depression or stress syndrome. But here with him, he has always gave you support and smile, everything you’ll need to went through this in a healthy mind. You set your mind to help him no matter what. It could have been that he saved your life from any psychological disorder.

You made your way to the grilled banana and peel them off carefully, helping Chanyeol with his food too. Once your stomach stop complaining from no food at all, you gave the rest of the banana to Chanyeol. You’re eating just enough so that you don’t feel hungry so that Chanyeol can get more to eat to help his health. You then took the warm water beside your fire and went to your shelter.

“Chanyeol-ah! Come here!” you called him to join you under the shelter’s shade as you poured the warm water to your ripped scarf. He shouldn’t be too much under the sun as his fever is burning. What if he had some sort of heat exhaustion?

Chanyeol obediently turn and crawl in beside you.

“Lay down, I’m gonna give you some warm compression,” you sat down and crossed your leg, patting the space beside you.

“Aaaaahhh~” Chanyeol laid down, but not beside you. He rested his head on the crook where your calves crossed.

Getting used to this kind of treatments from him, you only smiled and mutter, “giant baby…”

You then pushed back his hair to expose his forehead and put your warm scarf there, compressing his forehead, hoping to help his fever down.

“Get some more rest, giant,” you said to his smiling face, getting comfortable in his position.

Not too long, his face was back to the peaceful, unguarded face you always see when he fell asleep. You felt happy to somehow be able to let him rest. Knowing how exhausting a kpop idol’s work on daily basis, you’re somewhat happy he got to rest here with you even if it’s just for a little while. You found yourself playing with his hair, his dark brown silky hair circling between your fingers. Maybe it was your imagination, but did you just see him smile?

This is my time,” you think to yourself and took out your phone. You took a picture of his relaxed, sleeping face. Smiling at the picture, you turn your phone back off and change the compression by washing it with warmer water.

 

---

 

You opened your eyes as you felt soft hands touching your cheeks. In front of your eyes was the smiling Park Chanyeol, still lying on your calves.

"Bunny, are you okay?" he asked, pressing his palm against your cheek.

"I'm fine, thank you," you put your own palm against his hand, trapping his hand between your cheek and your hand. His smile was so genuine and sincere, you can’t help but smiled back.

Gently, Chanyeol pulled your face closer to him. Slowly, you bent your back to meet him. Your heart went racing faster as you drew closer. What is he going to do? What should you do?

Inch by inch, your face were closing in on his.

 

Then, something broke the moment.

 

Noises, battering noises. Just like what you heard yesterday, blades spinning, cutting open the air.

You instantly pulled back and cover your ears, thinking that this is just your imagination, your mind playing with you, an after trauma effect.

But then you felt Chanyeol raised his head and went outside. You opened your eyes and saw Chanyeol on his feet, looking up to the sky, searching for something. That's when you realized your brain is not playing with you. The noises you hear, Chanyeol heard it too, and you both knew what it was.

Rescue helicopter.

You rushed out to join him, searching for something to attract their attention. Your heart was racing like crazy. They're coming back! This is your chance! You should not let this slip off again. You've missed them once, you're not going to miss them again. Second chance doesn’t come twice.

Chanyeol was waving his hand to the yellow flying thing coming from the sea to your direction. There was still a small fire on the wood so you lit it up some more and blew on it to make the fire larger and to produce more smoke. Your hands were trembling from the adrenalin pump, your vision blurred. Everything seemed to be so fast and so slow at the same time.

Surely fire and smoke will attract them”, you think to yourself as you raised your torch higher and waved at them.

Just when you thought they're going to miss you two again, before your eyes were the happiest scene in your life.

The SAR helicopter were descending from the sky to your direction as ladders were thrown from the side to the helicopter, along with a man in an orange and black jacket, hanging on the side, ready to climb down.

-----

 

The helicopter slowly went down and with the rope ladder, the SAR team to descend.

One of the team member descents near you and start running towards you, “IT’S OKAY MISS, WE’RE GOING TO TAKE YOU BACK,” he screamed against the helicopter drill.

“WE NEED TO CHECK YOUR CONDITION FIRST. ARE YOU HURT SOMEWHERE, MISS?” he said again, holding both of your shoulder, evaluating your general condition. To be honest, the pain in your head has started again since the helicopter got closer, but right now your concern is at Chanyeol whose fever hasn’t gone down.

“I’M FINE, BUT HE…” you pointed at Chanyeol behind you. “HE HAD A CUT ON HIS ARM, IT’S INFECTED AND NOW HE HAD A FEVER!” You have to gather all your strength to shout and explain to the rescuer about Chanyeol’s condition while fighting against your own pained head. The man member nodded and let you go as he ran to Chanyeol.

The rushing wind around you was too strong, the beatings of the blades pierce through your ears, your headache began, stronger than ever. The closer the helicopter gets, the worse your head felt. The wind from the helicopter blades felt like baseball bats being pounded to your head, hundreds and hundreds of them, never ending.

The pain is too much. Too much. You had your hands on your head; you wanted to take your head off if you can. You instantly lose your strength, your knees become weak, your whole body curled as you can’t stand the pain anymore.

 

At that time, you out.