Day 1: Water

Jungle Book

First thing first, we have to find water

“Mul, mul!” you said, while gesturing a drinking move.

He looked back at you, “okhey!” he said, putting his index finger and his thumb together.

The forest is not too thick, but as far as your eyes can see, trees and leaves were everywhere. Dark green against dark brown. A few trees were flowering, but most of the trees’ barks were just covered in mosses. Birds’ tweets are getting louder as insects flicks start to tone down.

 

The two of you walked for quite some time now. You didn’t know what time it is, but the sun it still not at its top position. The fields that both of you were going through were not steep, rather just sloping at a small angle downward. Chanyeol is so tall, and he has such long legs that you’re slowly left behind. But even when he’s about 10 meter in front of you, you can still see him clearly despite the bushes because of his tall figure and his bright blue hat. He does turn back to look at you once in a while, just to see that you’re still alive and walking behind him. When he think you’re already too far behind, he would stop and wait till you catch up with him. The two of you didn’t talk much. The only exchanged words between you and Chanyeol were from him, telling you to be careful whenever you come across a slippery footing or when you have to take a bigger step to pass across something.

 

As the two of you walk on, you come to a huge fallen tree, just lying there in front of you, blocking where you’re supposed to pass. The tree was almost a meter in diameter and under the tree was a 30cm gap to the ground. Chanyeol in front of you, being a 184cm guy, climbed easily and get across just like that. You look of a way around it, but the tree was so tall that the end of it was so far away. It would just waste your time and energy to do walk around it, so you decided to climb the tree too. Across the fallen tree, Chanyeol turned his back and started walking again, thinking that you can take care of yourself. You’re a bit confused of how to climb the over the tree, because your feet can’t seem to find the right crease to step on. “Psh, that giant can climb over this effortlessly. I can do this too,” you think.

Holding on to your pride, you struggle to pull yourself up over the tree, but it was too high for you, your hands didn’t find the right spot to hold on to. “How did he do it? Where did he put his hands?” you tried to position yourself like Chanyeol when he climbed over, but it’s no use. You just can’t seem to pull yourself up.

 “Ya! Giant! Wait up!” you shout to Chanyeol while you remove your backpack from your shoulder and throw it to the other side.

“뭐?” he asked, turning his head to you. His hands’ reflexes were fast enough to catch your backpack in his hands.

“Hold that for me,” you said as you reposition yourself to climb pass the trunk again.

“조심해(josimhae), (Y/N)씨..” he said. Again, asking you to be careful. He then put your backpack on his left shoulder, careful not to move his left hands too much, and then put his guitar down so he can stretch out his right hand to help you climb.

“Ani, I’m fine,” you said, refusing his hand because you finally find the right gap to put your hands and feet. As you bring yourself up to sit on the trunk with your legs on either side of it, he pulled back his hands and smiled, “잘했어요..(jalhaesseoyo)”

You move your leg so that now both of them are heading to Chanyeol, and jumped down. However, you didn’t notice the slippery rock on where your right foot land. You lost your balance and fall on your .

“하하하!!! 조심해야 할말! 하하하하하!!!” he laughed out loud like it’s the funniest thing in the world. In fact, he laughed so hard that he squatted to the ground, holding his stomach with his left hand and hitting the ground with the other. “야! 그런 식으로 점프하는, 당신은 무엇을 생각 하는가? 토끼(tokki)? you, jump-eu, rabbit? Bunny? 하하하!!!" he teases you. You quickly straighten yourself up and pat your pants a few times to clean the leaves and twigs as you walk up to him.

“Why is it so funny to you?” you’re embarrassed because you fell in front of an idol, and he’s still laughing like he has never seen anyone fell on their . “Shut up and give me my bag, giant!” you stretch out your hand without facing him because you don’t want him to see you blush out of embarrassment.

“ㅋㅋㅋㅋ~ ‘I’m fine’” he imitated your words as he finally catches his breath. He stands back up and hand you your bag.

“ㅋㅋㅋㅋ” he’s still half laughing when you took your bag and put them back on your shoulder.

“Stop it!!” you hang your head and stomp your feet to the ground.

“네, 토끼~~” he replied in a teasingly too polite tone, along with a slight bow.

You storm pass him and lead the way, not wanting to see his face. “야, 토끼, 잠깐만(jamkkanman)!” he picked up his guitar back and raced you so that he’s now walking beside you. He leaned and stuck his head in front of you, trying to take a look at your face.

“귀엽다(gwiyeobda)~” he smiled.

“Just walk…” you throw your head to the side, still avoiding him. He stood straight again and walk back in front of you. You can picture him still with his cheeky smile even though you’re only looking at his dark brown hair.

 

As you continue walking, the awkwardness between the two of you cease thanks to your fall. Chanyeol looked more relaxed, he even hummed to a few songs. You’re surprised to recognize a lot of English songs he hummed. Jason Mraz, Bruno Mars, Gym Class Heroes, even Daft Punk… you also recognize a lot of Korean songs, Dynamic Duo, Ailee, B.A.P, SHINee, and many more. At one point, he started humming BIGBANG’s Bad Boy. Being a fan of BIGBANG yourself, you’re so familiar with the song and started humming along with him. Surprised, he stops humming and turn to you. “오, 이 노래를 알아 (oh, i noraereul ara)?” he raised his eyebrow.

“Hm, ara..” you nodded and even started singing. “Baby nan motae neomuna mot dwaeseo deo jalhaejugo sipeunde jal andwae. Every day & night i’m so mean cuz i’m so real, i’m sorry,” you sang smoothly as if you’re a fluent Korean speaker. His mouth was hanging open and his eyes widen in surprise as you sing.

니가 사랑하는 나는, sorry I ‘m a bad boy. 그래 차라리 떠나 가요 you’re a good girl,” he continued the song as he gave you a half smirk, surprised at your Korean.

Sigani galsurok nal almyeoneun alsurok silmangman namatgetjiman,” the two of you harmonize, your voices fit so perfectly that it surprised both of you.

“woaah,  your Korean, good!” he clapped and gave you a thumb up. “your voice, also good,” He’s giving you that cheeky smile again.

“thank you. You’re also a good singer,” you smiled back at him.

“혹시…. 엑소, 알아? You ‘now EXO?”

“ara…”

“오, 저를, 알수 있습니까?” he asked, pointing at himself.

“You? Park Chanyeol, my friend told me earlier. Byun baekhyun is her favorite… The others, molla-yo.. I’m not an EXO fan, mianhae,” you drop your head, feeling sorry cause you know how hard each and every idols work to gain recognition, and yet you’re here with an idol that you didn’t recognize before.

“아니, 괜찮아 (ani, gwencanha)… ” he smirked and turn his back to you as both of you started walking again.

“But I know a few of your songs,” you smiled. “MA MA! MA MA!” you sang their debut song, MAMA. “nananana, HISTORY,” you left out the beginning cause you didn’t know the exact lyric of the songs.

“whooaa, 감사합니다 (kamsahabnida)!!” he turned his head to look at you, clapping and smiling, showing his set of white teeth.

“ah! Another one! Eureurong eureurong eureurong ne!” you quickly added, smiling proudly of yourself. This is their latest song and, you’ve got to admit, the song is really catchy and the dance MV is amazing.

물러서지 않으면, 다쳐도 몰라,” he continued where you left off in an instant, without missing the beat. “워아, 진짜, 정말, 감사합니다 (woaa, jinja, jeongmal, kamsahabnida)! Thank you!!” he turns and took your hands in his. He shakes your hand and shakes his head in disbelief that you actually know their latest song.

“hahaha… you guys did great with Growl,” you smiled, giving him a thumb up.

“아, 감사합니다…” He then continued singing Growl. He sang other members’ parts too, along with little movements that he can do while walking.

“Hey Giant? What position are you in EXO?” you asked because you’re curious, he sang really well, but you remembered Kate saying that he’s a rapper.

“뭐?”

“You, position,” you repeated. “Vocal? Dance? Rap?”

“Me? 아.., dance no! Vocal no” he shakes his head. “rap! 헤헤.. 다른 늑대들이 볼세라, 너무나 완벽한 여자라 . 속엔 부드럽게 너를 안고, 너만을 위해서 나는 난폭해지고~~” he raised his head, rapped a part of Growl which you recognize, and you realize that it was really him rapping that part, it was really his voice, he is the real Park Chanyeol, right here in front of you. You can picture him in front of you smiling widely, proud of himself.

“but you also sing well, your vocal is really good!” you protested.

“noo, member-들l sing… more good,” he hesitated, searching for the right English words.

You chuckle at his English “Better, not ‘more good’,” you corrected him.

“ahh, better!” he repeated after you. “Kris hyung English, better!” he tried his new vocabulary in a sentence and turn to look at you, like a kid waiting for his mother’s permission to play.

“yes! Good!” you smiled and clapped a little for him.

“uaaa!!” he clapped along with you, happy that he got your approval for his new knowledge.

You suddenly felt a sudden jolt of pain on your head. Your vision blurred of second. You felt like the earth was spun under your feet. You stumble and your hand reaches for the nearest tree to keep your balance. Chanyeol stretch out his hands to you as you stumble, trying to help you regain your footing.

“괜찮아요(gwencanhayeo)?” he asked.

“yes, I’m okay,” you said as soon as your vision is back and the spinning calmed down for a bit. Chanyeol looked concerned, he reach out to your head, examining the location of where you wounded your head.

“hey giant, I’m really okay,” you stood straight and lightly hit his arms off your head.

“진짜? 진짜괜찮아??” he asked again, still looking at you with his concerned face. You gave him a nod and a big smile in return. You push him back to the front, forcing him to walk in front of you again. He looked back at you as he took a few steps, still making sure you’re really okay.

a vertigo?” you think to yourself. “but I’ve never had a vertigo before. Is this because of the wound on my head?” you start thinking of any possibility that might cause you that headache.

-

“who you favorit-eu group?” Chanyeol asked, trying to get the conversation back as he walk.

“me? Hm, I like BIGBANG…” you replied as lightly as possible, trying to ignore the leftover pains on your head.

“ahh, BIGBANG-선배님(sunbaenim)… G-dragon-선배님, 대박!!” he said, gazing to the sky and letting out a small sigh. “언젠가 그와 같이 있고 싶어!” he smiled, his eyes lit up following his excitement. You got a feeling that he’s praising GD, so you just nod in agreement.

오늘밤은...” he started, singing GD’s Crooked.

삐딱하게!!!” both of you finished together, smashing your head to the side according to the beat. Both of you laugh.

“오늘, 우리 진짜 삐딱하게….” He turns his head to you, and you see him giving you a half-smirk. Yes, the both of you are crooked today, bent out of shape because of the plane crash. Bent, but not broken. You gave each other a big smile.

Everything’s gonna be alright.

---

The sun is at its top position. You checked your phone for the time.

11:08 am.

Looks like you’re in an earlier time zone from your phone’s time, so you estimated that you’re at about an hour earlier than Guam. You put your phone back at your backpack and wipe your sweat with your elbow. You’re sweating like crazy, not just because you’re been walking for hours, but also because it’s humid under the trees and the temperature is definitely rising.

“괜찮아? 안 피곤해?” Chanyeol asked as he too wipes the sweat on his forehead.

“Gwencanha, I’m okay,” you smiled at him. The walking and the sweating are not bothering you too much, but you can feel your empty stomach starts complaining to you. You haven’t eaten anything since last night’s dinner, and your brain is starting to ask for more sugar.

“배고파 (baegopa). 하하하,” as if he can read your mind, he said he’s hungry, and rubbed his stomach. Then you remembered you have a bar of chocolate on your bag. You reach your hand to your backpack and search for that chocolate until you can feel a half melted chocolate bar in your hands.

“hey Giant!” you called Chanyeol.

“음?” he turns to you.

“Catch!” you throw the chocolate to him, and he barely catches it with both hands, his guitar slipped from his shoulder to his elbow. He looked at the thing that’s in his hands for a moment before his eyes widen.

“chocolateu!!” he exclaimed and straighten his hands to the air. You smiled at his reaction.

“go on, open it,” you crossed your arm and gave him a nod.

“진짜?”

“yess! Go on, I don’t want you to faint in hunger,” you say so, but you yourself is holding back your hunger.

Chanyeol looked around and found a quite big rock that he can sit on. He walked there and put his backpack and guitar down carefully.  He sat down, looked back at you and patted at the space beside him, asking you to sit beside him. You do as he asked and straighten your legs.

It IS quite tiring… haish..” you think. You put down your backpack as he open the chocolate bar. He offered you to take the first square, but you let him eat first. Free from your backpack, you stretch your arms, shoulders, and back, causing your joints to made some ‘pop’ing sound. Chanyeol looked at you, raised his eyebrows and pull the edges of his lips down and pouted his lower lips. You shrugged at him and smirked, your body has always been like this.  You look at your left hand, the back of it start to bruise from trying to pump Kate’s heart. You sigh heavily, trying your best to stay positive.

Chanyeol offered you the second chocolate square and you took it. He wants to return the rest of the chocolate, but you insisted on making him ate another square before you put the left over half back at your backpack. You’re thirsty, because you’ve finished the rest of your water throughout the morning walk. Chanyeol too have finished half of his 1.5L bottle.

“야, 토끼…” he handed his bottle in front of your face because he saw your empty bottle. Your raised your head and saw his signature smile. You hesitated before taking it and drank two gulps of water. “Enough for now, at least,” you think.

“Thanks Chanyeol,” you returned his bottle. He looked at his bottle and realized how little you drank.

“Drink!” he said, handing you back the bottle along with a frowned eyebrows.

“No, it’s okay,” you push back his hands gently. He offered you again, but you still turn him down. Still with a concerned face, he put his bottle back to his backpack.

Chanyeol sat on the ground now, leaning his head and his back at the rock, his eyes closed, his arms rested open beside him. Both of you were silent, trying to regain your energy. In those silence that your ear catches a sound that you didn’t hear before.

A gushing sound, a gurgle. Soft, distant, but it’s definitely there, somewhere.

“hey Giant…” you tapped Chanyeol’s shoulders. He opened his eyes and raised an eyebrow.

“do you hear that?” you asked, putting your right palm beside your ear and pointed at the direction where you think the sound is coming from with your left index finger. You want to make sure that what you hear is real.

“뭐?” he turns his head at where you pointed. He closed his eyes again, trying to hear what you want him to hear. He stayed silent for a few moments. Looking at him, you realized how big his ears were. No, rather than big, it was just in an outward position, protruding far from his head. It kind of reminded you of an elf, and also (being a Star Wars’ fan) of Yoda.

“물!!!” he suddenly jolted up to his feet. “Water! Water!!!” he pointed at where you’ve just pointed, his face lit up like a firework.

So it really is water! It must’ve been some sort of small river, because the gurgle were so soft.” Excited, both of you quickly retrieve your belongings and started walking towards the source of the sound.

--

After what seemed like an hour of walking instead of the actual 15 minutes, you finally arrive at the river. It was really a small river, about 4 meters wide, the deepest point not exceeding 1 meter. On your right, you can see a small waterfall, not more than 3 meters, but that is the source of the gurgling sound. Stones over stones, making a natural stair for the water to pass through. The current were not strong, and the water seemed clear and clean against the dark stones and mosses.

You kneel down on the river bank, your hands reaching of the clear water. The moment your hands touch the cool water, you can feel your body’s heat washed away along with the water’s current. You put your palms side by side, bending your palm to scoop up the water and bring it to your lips. As the water pass through your throat, it felt like your whole body has been refined. You let out a long sigh as you feel your strength coming back to you.

Looking at how satisfied you are, Chanyeol dipped his hands on your left. He also took a sip of water and realizing how refreshing it was, he started splashing the water to his face. He splashed and rubbed his face a few times before wiping it clean along with a long, satisfied, refreshed and happy sigh. “아~~~상쾌의..” he smiled at you, his face still dripping fresh water. 

After washing your face, you took out your sneakers and socks, and sit on a stone, your legs reaching out to the river. You dipped your legs knee high, and lean back, letting your hands support you. 

Flexing and extending your knees, you're really just enjoying the moment before a splash of water hit your face.  

"YAA! GIANT!" you quickly straighten yourself up and wipe your face. 

“야, 토끼! 너무 많이 즐기고!!" he laughed at your surprised expression. He’s laughing so hard till his eyes were shut, so you took this opportunity to splash back at him.

“야!” he laughs as both of you were now exchanging splashes.

-

“ah!!” Chanyeol suddenly stop splashing. He held his left upper arm with his right hands, his body folded and his face crunched in pain.

“eh? Sorry! I’m so sorry!” you rushed to him. One of your splashes must’ve got to his wound. You quickly squat on his left and took his upper arm in your hands. As you start to open the scarf you tied over his wound, you can feel it wet at the uppermost layer, but the inner layer wasn’t that wet to make him feel that much pain.

“아이고(aigoo)~~ 작은 토끼 너무 귀엽다~,” Chanyeol splashed more water at your face and laugh. It turns out, he’s just joking and he finds it funny that you’re so concerned about him.

“Yaa!!! It’s not funny!!” you quickly tie back your scarf, making sure to tug hardly until his laugh turn to an apology. You’re pretty pissed off at the moment because you thought you’re hurting him, and yet he’s there laughing at you.

“아! 아! 미안 해요! sorry, 토끼.. 아!” he wants you to stop tugging. “너 너무 귀엽다~,” he continued as you let go of his arm.

“I’m not cute!” you defend yourself, but you can feel blood rising to your face, making you blush. He laughs silently, curling his lips together and smiled.

 

After filling up your water bottle, both of you started walking again, this time, staying on the riverside, because every river led to the sea, right? And both of you can be seen easier on the shore rather than between the woods, that is, if SAR ever tried to find you.

Of course someone would search for us, right? He’s an idol, his fans would want him back. His fans would be fast enough to notice the plane crash….” You think to yourself, looking at Chanyeol’s back. He’s still humming songs, singing to some, rapping to some. “How did he do this? Every time I looked at him, it felt like he’s radiating this… some sort of energy… Making me felt like I want to do better, like I want to make him happy too

Not even an hour walking, you can see a brighter light ahead. “open sea!” you think. Far on the horizon, green and black turned to blue and white.  As you walked on, the trees grown nearer the shore were different than those you saw deep inside the forest. It’s shorter here, but the leaves were wider. Excited to see the sea, both of you speed up your walk, ignoring your grumbling stomach. 

Halfway to the shore, suddenly your vision blurred for a split second. You immediately halt your steps, blinking, readjusting your eyes. You’re already back on walking when Chanyeol turn to look at you, so he thinks that everything’s alright and continue on walking. You yourself know that your body is too tired, and you’re sugar depleted. “Come on, keep on walking! Hold it back, at least until we reach the shore!” you ordered yourself not to finish up your limited food supply.

Trees are becoming less and less frequent, the damp forest grounds start turning to sandy and dry grounds, and you can finally smell the sea breeze.. Salty and hot against your face, you took your water bottle and drank. “We’re almost there,” you said to Chanyeol when you finally quenched your thirst.

“yeeesss!” he replied, excited.

 

The shore is beautiful. The sand is white and soft, the sea clear blue, reflecting the sunlight.

As soon as you took the final step on passing the last tree to the beach, your body crashed down. Your backpack aside, you lie flat against the sand. Feeling like you can pass out anytime soon, you quickly reach for your chocolate bar. After gulping down another square, you gave the rest to Chanyeol and ask him to finish the last 2 square. He’ll need the energy more than you do.

When you finally catch your breath, you sit back up and bent your knees together. You turn on your phone again, looking at the time.

14.12pm.

whoa, that felt like 12 hours of walking, but turns out to be only half of it…” you said to yourself, turning your phone back off. You examine the horizon and found that there were a lot of other islands around you. Some were small, some were big, but as far as your eyes can see, you’re all surrounded by the blue sea.

How are we going to be found here? How are they gonna know which island our plane crashed on? How are they even going to know we crash on an island instead of the sea?” the thought of being lost forever haunt you, made you shiver from fear.

On the contrary, Chanyeol who still lies beside you seemed calm and even happy. He had his hat covering his eyes from the afternoon sunlight, his right hand behind his head, his left hand open beside his body, his right ankle resting on his flexed left knee. His breathing is slow and steady. A slight smile grew on his lips, which made you really curious. “What the heck is this guy thinking that he even smile at times like this?

“ya! Giant! Quit daydreaming, we have to build a shelter!” you poke his waist, which gave him a ticklish jerk.

“아야! 뭐야?” he protested, raising his back and bent both of his knees, leaning on his right hand.

“Build a shelter. Shelter!” you made a gesture, the tips of your index finger together, wrist straight and elbows bent, and put it over your head.

“아! 피난처?” he asked. Assuming that both of you are talking about the same thing, you nod in agreement.

You two look back at the trees behind you. You have at the maximum of three hours before it’s dark.

Now, how the hell are we supposed to build a shelter??” 

 

***

 

 

___

i'm so sorry for not updatingg TT_TT

i've been writing a lot in Dec but lately i've been busy so i can't write much. i almost gave up writing this fic until i visit back to my page and saw someone asking me to continue writing and a few subscribers :3

sooo, i'm planning to finish this fic! no matter how long it takes. thank you for everyone that reads!! please leave your comments :)