Day 0: epilogue

Jungle Book

*     *     *     *     *

 

‘dr. (Y/N), bachelor of medicine.’

Your name was called and you took your step to the podium. Your heart was beating fast; this is the day that you’ve worked your off every single day for the last one third of your life. Not just working you off, perhaps working your whole body and mind too.

Today, you’ve finally got your title as a doctor. Proudest day of your life.

 

*

 

The journey to become a doctor was not that easy. You have to give up most of your fangirl time to study. As a result, you are rarely able to catch up on you K-pop life anymore. Too busy, too tired, too sleepy. You didn’t even know what is happening with your idols anymore. Who is dating who, who broke up with who, who caught in a scandal, who left their group, etc etc etc. Least thing you can do is to listen to their albums when you have time, perhaps before you fell asleep. Everything is different now. No more time for your ‘oppa’s, no more time for your screams and squeals. Besides, you’re older and definitely wiser now. You have to be able to manage your life and set your priorities straight.

Keeping up with Chanyeol is as hard. Even with each other’s contacts ready at phone, both of you were always busy. There were a lot of times when you didn’t contact each other for weeks, even months. You haven’t even met him after the last SMTOWN concert in your country, more than 2 years ago. It has been difficult for both of you.

 

 

*     *      *     *     *

 

 

 

“dr. Y/N!!” a nurse called and you blink a few times, trying your best to wash off your sleepiness.

 

'3:30 Am. What now?!'

 

“Man, 27 years old, trouble breathing after a motorcycle accident, no outside wound”, she briefed.

“” you mutter under your breath; your sleepiness disappeared to the corner of the world. Your brain instantly diagnosed; a medical emergency.

Pneumothorax.

Running to the patient bed, you saw a woman at the end of the bed, clutching to herself; worried, panicked. Scared.

You recognized that face a thousand times. The man on the bed must’ve been someone so special for her.

You arrived and saw the man; breaths short and face a bit blue. His chest is not rising equally, left and right has different height on each breath. Quickly getting rid of the patient’s clothing, you put your stethoscope in your ears to examine his chest and abdomen.

It was silent for a few second as you listen to each side of his lungs. All eyes were on you.

 

Right tension pneumothorax et causa trauma.

 

Pulling up, your brain was flooded with the next procedure you need to save this man.

“Needles and antiseptics,” you asked the nurse and she rushed to the inventory room.

“He’s going to be okay. May I know where was he hit, ma’am?” you asked the woman that was on the verge of crying.

She pointed at her right chest, seemed unable to say a word.

That proves it

“His lungs are having difficulty breathing due to the hit. His right lung can’t expand properly because the air escaped and was trapped inside the space between his ribs and his lungs. That trapped air outside his lungs had made his lungs unable to inflate completely. We’re going to have to get that trapped air out to open air by inserting a needle,” you briefly explained, earning a nod from her.

As the needle and antiseptic arrived, you work quick, clean, and neat.

 

*

 

A hiss of air was heard through the inserted needle.

You sighed.

Done.

 

The man recovered his breath quickly. You change the needle to a chest tube and did everything you needed to do for him.

By the time his condition is stable and his treatment plan is done, it’s already almost 5am.

“Thank you, dr. (Y/N). For saving his life, and saving mine too,” the woman who turned out to be the man’s wife held your hand and shook it with all her heart.

“I’m just doing my job, ma’am. I wish him a fast recovery,” you smiled back at her and left the room.

 

*

 

“Ahh~” you slumped to your chair. A soft knock was heard and you let them in.

“dr. (Y/N)? Another busy night at the ER, huh?” the nurse teased as she handed you the patient’s medical records.

“Well, my face always attracts accidents,” you ironically said, taking the papers and flipped through it.

“Don’t say that! You were really good at handling the situations! Anyway, I heard today is your last day here? Going to study some more huh, doc? What a way to end your shift,”

“Hahaha. Yeah, I’m leaving this morning,” you close the file and turn to her.

“Aww, must’ve been fun! Study hard there, then? And come back quickly!” she smiled and waved as she left your room.

 

As you finish your last night shift, you left the ER and bid farewell to the other doctor, staffs and nurses who all wished you good luck on your study.

 

 

-------------------------------------

 

 

Dragging your rather huge and heavy suitcase behind you, you fix your sun hat and breathe in the hot and humid air of the new city before your eyes. It was summer and the sun is shining on everyone.

I have arrived safely, mom. I’m going to my dorm now. Don’t worry, everything’s fine. The weather’s nice too. I love you, Mom! Send my hello to dad too!

Locking your phone, you take a look around you and smiled. This all felt so familiar, so homey. Never been here before, but it’s like you’ve seen everything. It felt really good to be here.

 

 

Why are you here?

To study, of course! Where better to study this subject than in this beautiful city?

 

Well, that’s one reason…

But there’s another reason. A more important one.

 

Your hand instantly clutches itself on your bag; moving, fidgeting, searching, until you found the outline of a small rectangular book. The book that contains your source of energy, your source of happiness. Your most precious memories. The book that is always with you. Always.

 

 

‘Come with me to Korea (한국에 같이 가요)……’

 

The words ring in your ears again; never ceases to make you smile. When was that?

 

Too long, far too long ago.

 

 

I’m here, giant. I’m here for you.

 

 

Tokki-ah!!!

 

 

~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~

 

 



No matter how difficult and hard something is, I will always be positive and smile like an idiot

-Park Chanyeol-



 

this 100pages fanfic is dedicated to you, Chanyeol-ah.

My happy virus, my inspiration, my star.

Thank you for teaching me to always be positive. Thank you for teaching me to always be thankful. Thank you for teaching me the meaning behind a smile. Thank you for being my source of energy, my source of motivation.

I will always be beside you.

please stay Happy, Healthy and Humble.

I will always have your back.

Always.

 

-f.