"Student"

Beautiful Stranger

Jiho’s point of view
 
“We’ll head off first, bro!” Mino and Hanhae both said as they headed for the exit after they washed up and changed out of their taekwondo uniforms. 
 
“You sure you don’t wanna join us for dinner?” Hanhae asked again, just to make sure. Jiho knew very well Hanhae would feel uncomfortable not having dinner together since they’d always hang out after practice. Honestly if he could, he would’ve squeezed some time to hang out with Hanhae even if it was just for a bare 20 minutes. But it was his first lesson tonight. He had to make sure he’d be here on time.
 
“Yeah, I’ve only got like 25 minutes before the class starts,” Jiho peeked at the ticking clock that was hanging above all the certificates on the wall. “I don’t think I’ll make it back here on time. Sorry, man,” 
 
“Okay then. Good luck on your first lesson!” Hanhae wished him luck before closing the door behind him. 
 
Jiho grabbed the small towel in his bag to dry his sweat-dampened forehead and then sprayed some cologne onto his uniform, fearing he’d smell weird. Today’s practice wasn’t so intense but he was pretty exhausted. Practicing with Mino would always meant he’d fall asleep in the bus on the way home and then miss the stop so he’ll have to walk like a hundred meters with his eyes half opened. 
 
He opened the can of red bull and chugged half of it down in one gulp, letting out a “ky~ah”. He pulled up the collar of his uniform to wipe the little drips of the drink lingering on his lips and then grabbed the paper that was situated beside his bag. Jiho looked through the list of names on the paper. It was a new class which meant they were new… and so was he, in some way or another.
 
“Okay let’s see. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight. Okay great, just 8 students. Small class, easy to handle… I hope,” Jiho looked at the list.
 
His eyes scanned through the list of names he had as if he knew who they were. 

 
“Lee Seunghyun, Choi Yongdo, Lee Kyung, Park Kyung…” Jiho mumbled out their names unconsciously as I read through. “Wait a sec… Park Kyung? Can’t be…”
 
Jiho thought to himself again. That weakling wants to take taekwondo? That must be a joke. He shook off the silly thought thinking of the possibility of someone having the same name as Kyung. Furthermore, a weakling like him wouldn’t take sports at all. 
 
He glanced through the list one last time and gulped down the rest of the red bull, putting his trust into the energy drink hoping it’d keep him alive throughout the rest of the day.
 
Kim entered the studio and started placing the more mats to cover the whole floor. 
 
“What’s the matter with you? You’ve been drinking like, 4 cans of red bull since morning! Are you insane?” Kim yelled at me.
 
“Just.. you know… tired,” Jiho stared at the empty cans of red bull and fiddled with his bag strap. 
 
“Tired my . You’re nervous, aren’t you? Since it’s your first day today. Pssshh, you’ll be fine. You’re just gonna be beside me to assist me and yeah… Ah, just like how you would during practices,” Kim tried comforting Jiho.
 
Yeah, maybe he was right. I was just gonna assist, why am I so nervous anyway… Jiho let out a deep sigh.
 
“Kim, I’m gonna take a west,”
 
“Yeah, go on and drink more red bull so you’ll piss more, aight’? Dumb …” Kim sarcastically and jokingly answered when Jiho informed him he was going to the toilet and then added, “Yah! Don’t be late, you have like 2 minutes before people start pouring in!” 
 
“Got it,” Jiho said.
 
When Jiho got back, he peeped through the tinted door. Everyone was there already. It was probably just 2 minutes to 8. Everyone was waiting for Kim, their instructor, to enter the studio. 
 
Jiho held the doorknob and whispered to himself, “Okay I should step in now right? Or should I wait for Kim? Or should I-” 
 
One of the students turned to stretch and faced the door, where Jiho was standing.
 
It was Kyung. It was really him. Park Kyung, yes, that kid. That kid who sits behind me in school. 
 
Jiho was so shocked that he stood there like the dumbest kid ever and just zoned out. The only thing that was separating the both of them was this wooden door. 
 
Just then, Kim came from the back and yelled at Jiho, again. “Aaaayy, it’s already 8! What are you waiting for? Get in!”
 
“I-I-I… I can’t do this, man,” Jiho came up with a witty excuse. “Could I just pretend to be a student here, today, just to observe how things go about during an actual lesson? Please, Kim. Please please pleaseee,”
 
“You’re one of the toughest guy around here. Can’t believe you’re actually nervous…” Kim said as he scratched his head. “Fine. But, just today.”
 
“Okay I’ll come in after you. Give me a few minutes,”
 
“Yeah, sure, whatever. Just hurry up, it’s already 8:05,”
 
“Phew, thanks Kim. Thank you, thank you,” Jiho silently thanked Kim a million times in his heart. He didn’t like the idea of being so superior infront of his own classmate. He wasn’t ready yet.
 
“Okay, we’ll start the lesson really soon. Just one more student is on his way here,” Kim said, as a signal, Jiho assumed, for him to enter the studio. 
 
Jiho purposely took the empty spot beside Kyung. He tapped his back and said, “Yah! Park Kyung! You go here too?!” He tried really hard to sound convincing.
 
“Oh, Jiho? Yeah I go here too,” he replied, not sounding amused nor shocked.
 
“Great, I have a friend!” Jiho awkwardly exclaimed and then elbow-nudged Kyung.
 
He was praying Kyung wouldn’t sense something was off. 
 
“Alright, now that everyone’s here, let’s start with a simple warm up, shall we?” Kim leaded the class.
 
Jiho was pretty bored since it was the first lesson and that everyone was beginners. This was all too simple and too boring for him. Oh well, this was what he had to face since he was a “student” here.
 
He observed Kyung for a while. He didn’t seem to enjoy anything. Was he nervous? Was he stressed? Does he even like taekwondo?
 
Jiho heard him grumbling in frustration so he asked, “Why? Don’t you like taekwondo?”
 
“I never had any interest,” Kyung coldly replied.
 
What a weird kid. If you don’t have the interest, why are you even here? Anyway, Jiho replied, “I see. Then why did you sign up fo-” 
 
“Okay, shall we move on to the basic techniques?” Kim interrupted his question.