Chapter 4

9 Angels and 12 Wolves

The sun slowly creeped up Ji Hoon's bed. It hit Ji Hoon's face. Ji Hoon pulled the bed sheet to cover his face. He heard the door opened, probably his mother. Strange. There wasn't any voice ringing in his ears, forcing him to wake up. Ji Hoon waited and waited. He slowly peered over his bed sheet. To his surprise, it was his maths tutor. Taeyeon sat in front of Ji Hoon's desk. She was reading a green notebook. Why was she here? Who could have let her in? Obviously, his mother did. Taeyeon caught Ji Hoon staring at her when Ji Hoon tried to answer his on questions with his logic.

"Good morning sleepy head. Ready for maths tuition?" Taeyeon asked.

"No. It's still early," Ji Hoon groaned.

"It's close to 12 pm. Wake up and go take a shower. We're wasting precious time," Taeyeon said.

Ji Hoon pulled the bed sheet over his face again. He stick out his hand, with his fingers extending out. It supposed to show 5 more minutes. But Taeyeon didn't think of it like that. She went over and pulled Ji Hoon out. Ji Hoon lay on the cold hard floor. He was shocked to see Taeyeon able to pull him despite her small built. Seeing Ji Hoon still refusing to get up, Taeyeon did an arm lock. Ji Hoon immediately cried for help as his arm was in pain, begging Taeyeon for release. Taeyeon made Ji Hoon promise to go get ready for maths tuition. Ji Hoon nodded violently and Taeyeon let go. Taeyeon explained to Ji Hoon that she learned the arm lock from her dad since her dad was in the police force. Ji Hoon's dad used to teach Ji Hoon a few things. But then...

"Scary,"Ji Hoon muttered.

"Was it really necessary for you to do that?" Ji Hoon asked, keeping a safe distance.

"Hey, no pain no gain," Taeyeon replied.

"I don't think what you just did is even related to that, I think," Ji Hoon said, trying to make sense of his own words.

Taeyeon brushed it off and pointed to the door, asking Ji Hoon to go take a shower. Ji Hoon left sluggishly but Taeyeon's growl made him scramble for the toilet. After that, Ji Hoon settled in his room with Taeyeon. Taeyeon started giving Ji Hoon a mountain of maths worksheets to do. 'Practice makes perfect' was saying it in Ji Hoon's mind like some kind of mantra. Ji Hoon was motivated to improve his maths before any maths test came. Taeyeon was really patient with Ji Hoon. She went over the mistakes with Ji Hoon clearly till Ji Hoon understand why he got it wrong. This was why Ji Hoon like Taeyeon tutoring him. Plus, Ji Hoon gets to steal glances at Taeyeon and her curves. At 2 pm, Ji Hoon's stomach was grumbling. Ji Hoon felt embarrassed by it but Taeyeon pretended not to hear it. Both of them decided to go out and eat since Ji Hoon's mother did not cook as she was working overtime today. Ji Hoon asked what Taeyeon wanted to eat. Taeyeon thought about it as they went down the elevator. Just as the elevator made a *bing* sound, Taeyeon said McDonald. When they reach there, Taeyeon and Ji Hoon stood in front of the counter. Ji Hoon heard whispers behind him.

"Isn't that Taeyeon?"

"Yeah. Whose is that guy?"

"Argh...He looks so ugly. Unlike EXO"

"Don't tell me he's dating her"

"Yeah right. They're probably friends or acquaintances"

"True. Taeyeon always-"

Taeyeon pulled Ji Hoon to the counter, causing him to be unable to eavesdrop on the conversation. She asked what Ji Hoon wanted. He told Taeyeon McSpicy meal. Ji Hoon was disappointed for two reasons. One, Ji Hoon thought he could relax but he now knows people are going to talk about him behind his back while they're here. Two, he wanted to know what Taeyeon did. What were they going there say? Taeyeon paid for the meal. Ji Hoon wanted to pay Taeyeon but she didn't accept the money. She said she wanted to treat Ji Hoon since Taeyeon believes that Ji Hoon has put in a lot of effort to improve his maths. Plus, she still feels guilty that her friends treat Ji Hoon badly for almost the entire week. Ji Hoon plastered a smile. But he still feels insecure and he was afraid people would start to spread rumours about him. They sat near the window. Oh no. This mean more people could see them. Ji Hoon told Taeyeon that he wanted to sit inside since the sun was shining brightly on their food. Taeyeon nodded. Ji Hoon carried the food. They found a table and started eating. Taeyeon realised that something was wrong about Ji Hoon. He didn't seem to be focused on what Taeyeon and he always trailed off at the end of his sentences. His fries were untouched while Taeyeon is already finishing her's. Ji Hoon took small nibbles on his burger throughout the entire meal.

"Ji Hoon, is everything okay?" Taeyeon asked worriedly.

"Hmm? Oh, I just umm don't feel hungry anymore," Ji Hoon answered. "Really? Before we left, you said that you could an entire horse!" Taeyeon laugh.

Ji Hoon laugh nervously. Taeyeon forced the truth out from Ji Hoon. Ji Hoon debated on whether to tell the truth or to lie. If he told the truth, will Taeyeon find those people who said those things about Ji Hoon and asked them to apologise? Will she unleash some super human strength and threaten to hurt them if they ever do it again? Will their friendship be disrupted? What if someone sees that and spreads rumours that Taeyeon is dating Ji Hoon. (Not that Ji Hoon mind about it but Taeyeon will look bad). On the other hand, if Ji Hoon lied, Taeyeon could be more suspicious about Ji Hoon's weird behaviour. She could also find out about Ji Hoon's lies and start to doubt him. Will their friendship start to crumble because Taeyeon doesn't believe Ji Hoon? Ji Hoon pondered, weighing the outcomes of each choices. Taeyeon asked again.

"Well-you see, I recently got stomach flue and I'm not supposed to be eating spicy food. And being a big idiot I am, I just ordered a McSpicy burger. So I was just making sure my stomach was okay," Ji Hoon lied.

Taeyeon looked at Ji Hoon. Ji Hoon felt that Taeyeon had seen through his attempt to smoke his way through. Sweat was trickling down his head. He smiled nervously at Taeyeon. But Taeyeon nodded and offered to exchange her burher with Ji Hoon. Ji Hoon shooked his head. Taeyeon tried to snatch the burger but Ji Hoon quickly took a bite out of it. Taeyeon second attempt also ended in a failure as Ji Hoon rose to his feet and stretched out his hand. Since Taeyeon isn't as tall as Ji Hoon, Taeyeon was unable to get the burger. Taeyeon gave up and slumped on her chair. Ji Hoon sigh. He noticed thar Taeyeon wasn't smiling. And he thought of something.

"Hey, where's that sweet smile of yours?" Ji Hoon teased.

"Yah! Don't say that," Taeyeon said.

"And you've got a smile that could light up this whole town," Ji Hoon sang.

"Stop it. You're making me feel weird," Taeyeon ordered.

Ji Hoon saw how Taeyeon's cheeks reddened after he sang that line. He finished his burger and Taeyeon observed him. Ji Hoon was wondering if Taeyeon was judging him through his eating. Nevertheless, he did forget about the awful things those people said for a moment. After Ji Hoon was done eating, they both left. Strolling down the sidewalk, they watch leaves dancing in the wind. Taeyeon kept taking. There were the occasional curious stares hurled at them but Ji Hoon ignored it. As they travelled back to their block, they heard someone calling them. They turned and were shocked to see who it was. Exo was there sitting outside the pizza palaur. Ji Hoon took a step away from Taeyeon. His eyes were looking away from Exo.

"Epp epp. Looks like someone got himself a girl," Baekhyun teased.

And he chose the most prettiest one among them," Yixing joked

"I bet they must be on a date today," Jongin added.

Both Ji Hoon and Taeyeon felt blush creeping up their faces. The guys laughed. The word 'no' was at the tip of Ji Hoon's tongue. But somehow, he was having trouble pronouncing it. Taeyeon stepped forward.

"Can you stop it! Ji Hoon had it rough this week. Give him a break will you. And stop it with the boyfriend thing okay. It's really annoying!" Taeyeon snapped.

Everyone looked at Taeyeon, stunned by her sudden outburst.

"Relax Taeyeon. It was only a joke," Chanyeol said.

But Taeyeon her heel and stomped off. Ji Hoon shot an angry look at Baekhyun and left. Ji Hoon chased Taeyeon down the street hot on his heels. He called out to her. Taeyeon didn't even peered over. With every call, Taeyeon walked faster and faster. She ran passed shops, heading straight for her house. Her long, black hair swished from side to side past her her shoulders. When Ji Hoon finally caught up to Taeyeon in the lobby, he was flushed from all that running. He spun Taeyeon around, looking straight into her eyes. Anger, hatred and sadness registered in them. Ji Hoon pulled her into his arms.

"Why. Why do they always say that," Taeyeon sobbed.

"Shhh shhh. What did they say?" Ji Hoon asked.

Taeyeon just kept crying. She twisted Ji Hoon's shirt as she cried. Her tears dripped onto Ji Hoon's shirt. He didn't feel happy that Taeyeon hadn't resist his hold of her. He felt rather scared and troubled to see Taeyeon crying. After Taeyeon was feeling better, she looked at Ji Hoon's face and smiled weakly. Ji Hoon let her go. They both went into the elevator. The elevator ride was quiet. Ji Hoon could hear Taeyeon sniffling at the corner. He wanted to comfort her more but didn't know how. He was afraid that he would cause Taeyeon to burst into tears again. Ji Hoon accompanied Taeyeon to her front door. Taeyeon reminded Ji Hoon to do his homework. Ji Hoon nodded in response. Taeyeon said goodbye but Ji Hoon went over. He placed both his index finger at each corner on Taeyeon's lips and gently pushed them up, forming the smile Ji Hoon liked to see. Then, he left. He wondered why his own friends made Taeyeo cry.

"They better have a good reason for it," Ji Hoon thought.

Hyun Ae sighed. She had been staring at her maths homework since 3pm. The time was 5.30pm. She wasn't even close to completing half of her maths. Her mind was preoccupied with Yixing. Seeing how worthless it is to continue, Hyun Ae decided to put it away. She stuffed the worksheet into her bag and lied on her bed, yawning while staring at her ceiling. Hyun Ae was about to fall asleep when she heard someone knocked on her door. Slowly, she opened the door. Her friend Hana was there.

"Hey, wanna go out?" Hana asked.

"Sure, I guess. Where are we going?" Hyun Ae asked as she gestured Hana to sit at her sofa.

Hana paused and slowly said, "My dad's night club."

Hyun Ae nodded. Hana was shocked. Last time, when Hana tried to persuade Hyun Ae to go there, she had to promise Hyun Ae that Hana will not leave her side for a second. But this time, Hyun Ae just agreed. No promises were made. Hana thought it was rather weird but who cares. At least she will spend Saturday night with her best friend. When Hyun Ae finally emerged out from her room, she look stunning. She was wearing a red mini dress and had her hair straightened. She wore eyeliner and mascara that made her look y. Clutched in her right hand were black high heels and the other was her matching red purse. She told Hana to go waut outside while she checks that all the appliances were switched off.

Once Hyun Ae was done, she locks the door. Both girls made their way down to the street. Hana flagged for a taxi. Hyun Ae saw how the world became blurry as they drove down the street. When they reached the night club, there were many teenagers and adolescents queuing up. The bouncer at the gate notices and Hana and waved to her, asking her to enter. Hana whispered something into the that man's ear and he nodded. Hana grabbed Hyun Ae's wrist and pulled her through the doors. Music was blasting in her ears. Lights were flashing quickly in the room. The smell of liquor and and sweat invaded Hyun Ae's nostrils. Bodies were rocking to the music. Hana told Hyun Ae that she has to go see her dad. Hyun Ae nodded slightly. Hyun Ae sat at the bar. A young bartender went closer to her.

"Give me whatever Hana drinks," Hyun Ae said.

The bartender nodded and melted away into the cries of a hundred thirsty patrons. Hyun Ae waited patiently. The bartender came back and gave a her a clear glass cup that had an orange content.

"Bottoms up," she said to herself.

There was that hot sensation when she drank the alcohol. Hyun Ae force herself not to spit it out. After getting a few cups of it, Hyun Ae found it a natural feeling. She felt a pair of hands slide up her exposed tigh. She turned and saw a man, probably in his early 20s, grinning at her. Hyun Ae thought for a second if she knew him. No ones faces appeared in her mind. His smile made Hyun Ae remembered her lover. Yixing. She came here to drown herself with alcohol, wanting to clear her mind of anything related to Yixing. But thanks to this stranger, she couldn't. Hana came running to Hyun Ae's side. She tried of to fend off the man's sweet words. Hyun Ae saw how the man was getting really annoyed by Hana's presence. He shoved Hana to the ground and took Hyun Ae. Pushing through the crowd, Hyun Ae could hear Hana screaming for help. But her efforts were futile as her plea drowned in the music. Hyun Ae couldn't move her body properly. She drank to much then she could have taken. Her face was flushed and she felt light. Suddenly, she felt someone grabbed her wrist and pulled in the opposite direction. She looked up and was stunned to see who it was.

"Yixing, wait up," a girl voice cried.

Sunny came and saw what happened. She tried to pull Yixing away but he refused. Half of Exo was coming too. The man panicked and let go. He was clearly out numbered. Hana came soon. Seeing Yixing and Sunny here was an eyesore for Hyun Ae. Jealousy took over her and she threw insults at Sunny.

"Well well, looks like someone just had to show up tonight. Can't even leave your boyfriend huh? Scared he will have with me, is it? I'm sure he would love to seeing that his girlfriend is like a pest" Hyun Ae said.

"That's my line you !" Sunny shouted.

"Oh I'm sorry. Want me to flush you down the toilet?" Hyun Ae asked.

Sunny took a bottle of beer and dump it's content on Hyun Ae. Hyun Ae gasped. Her dress was soaked in alcohol. Her make up was ruined and she was frantically wiping her skin dry. Sunny took a step back and take a look at the state Hyun Ae is in. She was pleased and laughed. Hyun Ae pinned Sunny on the floor. She ripped the sleeve of Sunny's top with her claw-like nails. It caused some scratches on Sunny's hand. Yixing pulled Sunny while Chen and Tao tried to tame a berserk Hyun Ae.

"I regretted ever being your friend Sunny! I hate you!" Hyun Ae cried.

"Well whoever said I did? I only like you for your brains. Our friendship never meant anything to me!" Sunny snapped.

Hyun Ae could feel tears stung her eyes. Sunny's words cut deep into her chest. Were they ever friends? Hana decided to bring Hyun Ae home. It was already getting late. In the taxi, Sunny's words kept on repeating.

Well whoever said I did? I only like you for your brains. Our friendship never meant anything to me!