Chapter 3

9 Angels and 12 Wolves

Hyun Ae strolled down the pavement that leads to school. She was reading her notes quickly as she tries to digest every point written on it. Her teacher had hinted the class about a surprise quiz that could happen this week. Since it's Friday, and there hasn't been any test, Hyun Ae was positive that the test would be today. As she walked passed the school gates, she saw the new boy, all flushed and panting. Beads of sweat accumulated on his forehead. Standing beside him was her old friend, Sunny. She was smiling while patting the boy's back. The boy smile weakly as he force himself to stand straight. Hyun Ae pictured different scenarios in her mind that could have happened. But the sight of seeing her friends doing last minute revision made her stop. The school bell rang, signalling the start of curriculum activities. Hyun Ae and her classmates were testing each other out just in case they left out any important points. Hyun Ae's Chemistry teacher entered the classroom. He placed a stack of worksheets on the table and started writing today's lesson overview on the whiteboard.

"All right class, as you know, you have your test today," the teacher announced. Everyone in the class whined.

The teacher chuckled and added," But I've decided to give it as homework instead."

The entire class cheered loudly. Students in the opposite building crane their heads to see what the noise is all about. The teacher called Taeyeon to give out the worksheets. She quickly distributed them out. Chemistry lesson when on and the subsequent lessons were more lively than usual. Maybe it's because everyone was happy that there wasn't any test. The lunch bell rang. Hyun Ae and her friends stood and were discussing about what they were going to do during the weekend. The hallways were full of students buzzing about. Hyun Ae walked down the stairs with her friends. Suddenly, someone bumped her shoulder, causing her to fell.

"Oh. Sorry," the boy said. He helped Hyun Ae stand before running off to Kyungsoo.

Hyun Ae nodded in response. The same boy she met earlier. She asked her friends if they knew the boy. They just shrugged in response. Hyun Ae pushed the question back into her mind. At the canteen, she sat at a table close to Exo. She searched for a single person. Yixing. Hyun Ae had a crushed on him since she started going to the school. She saw him reading at the benches in the study corner. His sliver necklace dangling in front of his uniform. It shines brightly when sunlight touches it. Yixing looked up and saw Hyun Ae. He smiled, revealing the dimples he had. Hyun Ae felt like one of cupid's arrow shot right through her heart. Sadly, the bell rang and Yixing left. Although there were times when Yixing met Hyun Ae in the hallways, they only exchange smiles at most. Nothing more, nothing less. A simple smile. Nevertheless, those smiles seems to brighten up her day. Possibly her world! Her eyes darted around the canteen. Where is Yixing? She turned her head to her left and let out a small yelped. Yixing was there, staring at her.

Yixing laughed. He thought that sound was kinda cute. He placed a small golden key on the table. Hyun Ae took the key and inspected it. It was her precious key. But how did Yixing get it? Could it be from the fall? Hyun Ae thanked Yixing. Yixing smiled and walked to the table where Exo is. One of her friends, Hana, asked what key is that. Hyun Ae told her that it was the gift given to her buy her parents before they divorce. On the key, one side is engraved with Hyun Ae's name. The other is Hyun Shik, her twin brother. Their parents told them that they are key is that unlocks a new happiness in their parents' heart. On the contrary, it caused them to go on their separate ways instead. Hyun Ae clutched the key in her hand. She can't afford to lose this key. She needs to show it to her brother when they met, a prove that they're related. Lunch period ended and Hyun Ae and her friends walked back to class. At 5pm, dark clouds rolled in. Hyun Ae was walking briskly back. But rain started pouring down and Hyun Ae was forced to find shelter. She decided to go to the library instead. Hyun Ae meandered through shelves, selecting relevant books to help her in her science homework. She settled in on a corner table once she chose a few books.

But the corner of her eyes catches something.

She turns her head and was devastated. Why? Cause the man she likes is sitting with someone else. His arm placed around a girl's neck. His hand cupped around the girls ear, whispering something. The girl blushed and playfully punches Yixing's right hand. Yixing laughed. The girl snuggled against Yixing. She was feeling comfortable and the warmth radiating from Yixing's body is nice, especially since it was raining. Yixing dug his nose into the girl's hair and took a whiff of the her shampoo. He closed his eyes and kept still, not wanting to disturb the girl. Hyun Ae immediately stood up and left, leaving the books she took on a shelf. Tears were stinging Hyun Ae's eyes. She was heartbroken. But what made it more painful was the girl Yixing was with. The person that abandoned her friend just for the sake of fame. Sunny. Hyun Ae ran in the drizzle. Her legs gave up and she hang onto a lamp post for support. She was panting when she got up and started walking back to her house. When she finally reached her house, her maid was looking at her, puzzled to see her employer's daughter drenched when clearly the maid had reminded her to bring an umbrella this morning. Hyun Ae dumped her damp bag in her room and entered her toilet. She peeled off her uniform and her undergarments that cling onto her pale skin and tossed it in a basket. Hyun Ae took a warm shower. She stood under the shower head, letting the warm water turn her skin pink. Her mind keeps on replaying the scene in the library.

"Why is life so unfair?" Hyun Ae muttered.

Her hopes of being with Yixing breaks, scattered all over the tiled floors like dust.

Ji Hoon sat in his living room. It was Friday night but he had no plans. When he had his old friends, Ji Hoon would go out with them on Friday nights to the arcade or shopping mall. Kyungsoo asked if he wanted to come over to his place to do homework together but the rain hasn't stopped yet. In fact, it seems to be getting worse. Ji Hoon's phone beeped. He saw that Taeyeon had dropped a text message, asking him to come over. Ji Hoon wondered why. He wore a sweater and made his way up. Before Ji Hoon even knocked on the door, Taeyeon opened it. Ji Hoon was a bit startled. Taeyeon was wearing a grey sweatpants. Her shirt seems a little to big for her, probably her brother's, revealing her bra strap. Taeyeon pulled him to the dining table, where Taeyeon's Chemistry homework and notes littered all over the table. Ji Hoon was kinda shocked. He didn't expect Taeyeon to ask for chemistry tutoring on Friday night, at least not on the night he took a break from touching any academic related work. Taeyeon was making a sad puppy face, asking Ji Hoon for help. Ji Hoon finally agreed only because he was a good friend and not because he enjoyed seeing Taeyeon's cute faces XD

It was 10 pm when Ji Hoon finished answering Taeyeon's queries. His eyelids were getting heavier. Taeyeon was still full of energy. Maybe it's because Sunny made Ji Hoon ran an entire lap around the school. She promised that if Ji Hoon beat her, Sunny will stop bullying him. It was a heated race as both Ji Hoon and Sunny are track and field members previously. In the end, Ji Hoon won. Sunny kept her word and she smiled at him for the first time. Ji Hoon wondered if this could be part of Taeyeon's plan when she said that her friends won't bother Ji Hoon. But anyway, he was happy to make Sunny his friend. Ji Hoon felt someone poking his sides. He immediately jolted upwards and saw Taeyeon looking at him.

"You can go now. You're really tired and I don't want to exhaust you any further. Probably running the lap made you really tired, " Taeyeon said.

Ji Hoon didn't complain. He desperately needs to get some shut eye. But there was a late night movie playing. It was a scary movie. Ji Hoon decided to stay for another half an hour since he loved scary movies. But he made sure that Taeyeon was okay if he'd stay. She nods and went to the kitchen to bring out snacks. She sat in front of the TV with Ji Hoon. They were both watching the movie in a dark living room. Only the light from the TV prevents separates them from being in total darkness. Taeyeon constantly covered her face with a pillow. Ji Hoon decided to be a little mischievous. He quietly move his hand closer to Taeyeon, making sure she didn't see it. Taeyeon's face was glued to the screen. Ji Hoon suddenly shake Taeyeon's shoulder while making a boo sound. Taeyeon's immediate reaction was to claw Ji Hoon. Her finger nails were sharp. She scratched Ji Hoon's arm, leaving a trail of red lines on it. Taeyeon was scolding Ji Hoom but apologising at the same time. Ji Hoon couldn't stop laughing but he bit his lip to stop. They continued to watching the movie. Suddenly, a horrible ghost jumped out of the cupboard in the TV. Taeyeon shriek and hugged Ji Hoom tightly. Stunned, Ji Hoon just kept quiet. His heart was racing and he felt himself getting warmer. Taeyeon finally realise what she was doing and quickly let go of Ji Hoon. She looked somewhere else, trying to hide her embarrassed face. Aww, Ji Hoon kind of like being hugged by Taeyeon. Ji Hoon cheeks were getting red but luckily, the room was dark. Ji Hoon went home, saying that his mother would be worried. Taeyeon nodded and followed him to the door.

"Thanks for helping me with my chemistry. I'll come by tomorrow to help you with your maths," Taeyeon said as she waved.

Ji Hoon nodded. He heard the door close behind him. Ji Hoon didn't went home straight. He loitered in the hallway, recalling what had exactly happen. He sat at the stairs. Fishing his phone out of his pocket, he texted Chanyeol. Chanyeol was teasing Ji Hoon, making him imagine things he wasn't supposed to. Ji Hoon couldn't stop smiling. Ji Hoon made Chanyeol promised that he won't tell anyone, especially Taeyeon's close friends. About 10mins later, he snuck into his own home, not wanting to wake his mum up. Ji Hoom lied down on his bed. He didn't bother to change since he couldn't care at all. Sleep was his top priority. And within seconds, Ji Hoon had already dozed off.