Chapter 10

9 Angels and 12 Wolves

“Be careful,” Ji Hoon said.

“I’m fine,” Taeyeon assured.

 Ji Hoon held onto Taeyeon’s arm while Ji Hoon carried her bag. Ji Hoon was helping out Taeyeon’s mother to bring Taeyeon home as she was busy taking care of Taeyeon’s grandmother who was ill. He rushed to the hospital once school ended to see her. She had thanked Ji Hoon in advanced for the help. Ji Hoon went into the lift with Taeyeon. Once they were in the house, Ji Hoon placed Taeyeon’s bag on the table and made sure she was lying on her bed as she needs to rest.

“What time will your mother be back?” Ji Hoon asked.

“I’m not so sure myself,” Taeyeon said.

Ji Hoon walked into the kitchen to get her some water for her medicine. When Ji Hoon went back in, he saw Taeyeon fast asleep. The doctor did mentioned that her medication can cause drowsiness. Ji Hoon placed the glass of water and medicine on her bedside table. Ji Hoon decided to keep her company for a while just in case anything might happen. Ji Hoon did his homework on her desk. Ji Hoon occasionally look over your shoulder to see if Taeyeon had woken up. Time past rather quickly. Ji Hoon felt someone nudging against your shoulder. Ji Hoon looked back and saw Taeyeon’s mother. Ji Hoon had actually fallen asleep. His pencil had rolled of the table and your homework was scattered on Tayeon’s table. Ji Hoon realised that Taeyeon wasn’t on the bed. She was actually watching some tv.

“Why didn’t you wake me up?” Ji Hoon asked.

“Well, you look tired and I didn’t wanted to disturb you,” Taeyeon said.

Ji Hoon decided to go home. He didn’t want his mum to get worried that he’s not home yet and it was close dinner time. Ji Hoon told Taeyeon that he would come again tomorrow to check up on her. As he made his way down the stairs, he got a text from an unknown number.

‘Meet me at the rooftop of your apartment’

Ji Hoon read the message again. His eyebrows furrowed as he wondered who was the one that sent him the text message. He stepped into the elevator and jabbed the 14th floor button. Since the elevator doesn’t go all the way to the rooftop, Ji Hoon had to ascend the stairs. When he pushed the door, a blast of cold wind bites his exposed skin. Ji Hoon shivered as he looked around. He saw someone standing near the edge, looking far into the horizon. The person was wearing a hoodie. The person knew Ji Hoon was approaching as Ji Hoon’s footsteps could be heard. He turned.

“You wanted to see me?” Ji Hoon asked.

“Yes and,” the person paused before saying,” I’m sorry.”

Ji Hoon know who that voice belongs to. He stared at the person and the person look up.

“Baekhyun?” Ji Hoon said, sounding startled.

Ji Hoon was about to leave when Baekhyun ran and grabbed his wrist. He told him to don’t go and listen to what he has to say. Ji Hoon agreed and jerked his hand free from Baekhyun’s hold. Baekhyun told Ji Hoon that he was really sorry and regretted for what he’s done to him. He never wanted to make it hard on Ji Hoon’s life. He was just mad when he saw the pic and he made an irrational decision.

“Hold on. Weren’t you the one who took the picture?” Ji Hoon asked.

Baekhyun shooked his head. He said that Yixing was the one who took it and showed it to him. Ji Hoon was sure he wanted to throw something to vent his anger. Another one? Ji Hoon thought. Baekhyun knows that Ji Hoon was furious so he pleaded Ji Hoon not to do anything to him. Ji Hoon said he wouldn’t promise that and stomped backed into the building without giving Baekhyun a chance to speak. When he entered his house, his mother had just finish making dinner and was about to set the table. Ji Hoon went into his room and placed his bag on the floor. He went back out to have dinner. Once he was done, he took a shower and got dressed in a simple blue t-shirt and long pants. In his mind, he was still thinking about Baekhyun’s words. He thought that revision would keep im preoccupied. However, it only made him more distracted. He was still on his page of his Chemistry notes since just now.

Ji Hoon decided to call it a night. Since he couldn’t get any info in his brain, there’s no point in continuing to do it. Just as Ji Hoon was about to sleep, he received a message.

‘I’m sorry’

Ji Hoon tossed his phone on his bed and went to sleep.

The next morning, when he was walking to school, Ji Hoon was extra carfull and made sure he didn’t bump into Hyun Ae again. It was really weird walking with her. Ji Hoon made sure that Baekhyun wasn’t following him. Since Ji Hoon left while he is still angry, Baekhyun might show up in the morning to convince him not to do anything to Yixing.

When he reached the school gates, someone caught his attention. Baekhyun was leaning against the wall. He crane his head to find Ji Hoon over the sea of heads that entered the school. He eventually spotted him. Ji Hoon made a dash for the toilet. He pushed the door. Ji Hoon could hear Baekhyun calling his name among the chattering of students. He met someone in the toilet.

“Ji Hoon, wait,” Baekhyun said as he pushed the door.

Baekhyun’s eye widen as he saw who Ji Hoon was across the toilet

“I heard that you’ve been meeting Ji Hoon lately,” Hyun Woo said as he push Ji Hoon behind him.

“Please…Let me talk to you Ji Hoon,” Baekhyun pleaded.

“There’s nothing to talk about. Just leave me alone!” Ji Hoon shouted.

Baekhyun was about to say something but Hyun Woo cracked his knuckles and he glared at Baekhyun, signalling him to get out or things will get messy. Baekhyun took a step back and left. Ji Hoon thanked Hyun Woo for helping out. The truth is, he wished Hyun Woo was like his personal bodyguard. This would make it easier to shoo Baekhyun away. Hyun Woo told Ji Hoon that he wanted to know why Baekhyun met you. Baekhyun wasn’t sure of telling him but he had to since Hyun Woo had helped him out.

“What?! So Baekhyun wasn’t the one who took the picture?” Hyun Woo asked.

Ji Hoon nodded. Hyun Woo mumbled something that Ji Hoon couldn’t make out. The school bell rang, signalling the start of first period. Hyun Woo and Ji Hoon left the toilet and made their way to class. Just as Ji Hoon was about to enter his classroom, Hyun Woo pulled him back and told him to find him if Baekhyun was disturbing him again. Ji Hoon gave a thumbs up and went in. He saw Tiffany and Sunny at their desks while Sooyoung wasn’t until Ji Hoon realised she must be on late coming duty again. Ji Hoon said good morning and returned it with a smile. Tiffany took her chair and sat beside Ji Hoon.

“Ji Hoonie~ Can I sit with you? I didn’t bring my textbook,” Tiffany said.

“Why didn’t you sit with Sunny?” Ji Hoon pointed.

“Because she won’t listen and keep on talking to me. Besides, you’re a chemistry genius so I told her to sit with you,” Sunny said.

Ji Hoon looked at her.

‘Thank you so much Sunny’

Ji Hoon flipped to the page where the teacher last stop. He placed it near Tiffany. About halfway into the lesson, the teacher handed back their assignments. Tiffany sighed as she only got a D. She snatched Ji Hoon’s assignment and gasped as she saw the grade. An A. Ji Hoon just placed his assignment on the desk. He already knew what went wrong. It was a stupid careless mistake. Ji Hoon looked out of the window and saw a class having physical education. It was Baekhyun’s class in particular. They were playing softball. It seemed like fun. Baekhyun was up. Judging by the small steps he’s taking. Baekhyun didn’t seem very confident about swinging the bat. Baekhyun was already on his third attempt to hit the softball. The pitcher made one last throw. One more throw and Baekhyun didn’t had to swing anymore. However, what happened next must be the most painful thing to happen. The pitcher threw the ball and it hit Baekhyun’s crouch.

Ji Hoon muttered an ‘ouch’. He felt someone tugging at his shoulder. He turned and saw Tiffany scratching her head. She was wondering if Ji Hoon could explain to her why she got this question wrong..

“Let me see,” Ji Hoon said as he took the paper.

“Oh, the intermolecular forces between water molecules is weak while intramolecular forces are strong,” Ji Hoon said.

He drew a few sketches on Tiffany’s paper and wrote some notes at the side to help Tiffany understand. Tiffany nodded and when she finally understood why she got it wrong, she made Ji Hoon high five her. Ji Hoon smiled afterwards. Ji Hoon took a glance outside and saw Baekhyun at a bench with an ice pack near his croutch. The bell rang, signalling the end of chemistry. Ji Hoon packed his items and went to the cafeteria to eat. Today is Wednesday and it’s usually a short day if there wasn’t any co-curriculum activities. But for Ji Hoon, he didn’t even signed up for any clubs or sports. He wanted to have as much free time as he can. When he reached the cafeteria, he heard someone calling his name. He turned and saw who it was.

“Hyun Ae, is there something wrong?” Ji Hoon asked.

“No, of course not. I just wanted you to seat with me. Hana isn’t in school today so I’m kind of lonely,” Hyun Ae said as she pat at the seat beside her.

Ji Hoon nodded and sat beside her. Then, both Ji Hoon and Hyun Ae got up and went to find something to eat. When they returned, they talked about school. Hyun Ae made it sure she steer away from any questions about Baekhyun. She did saw him just now at the usual table he always sat.

“Hyun Ae, do you have any siblings?” Ji Hoon asked.

Hyun Ae choked on that sudden question. She quickly drank her drink and look at Ji Hoon.

“I do, but we haven’t met in years. I wonder if he still remembers me after the accident,” Hyun Ae sadly.

Ji Hoon apologise if his question made her remember about her past. Hyun Ae just brushed it off. There was silence between them until Hyun Ae looked over Ji Hoon to see someone looking at them. Ji Hoon followed her gaze and saw Tiffany looking at them from afar. Hyun Ae told Ji Hoon that he should check it out, to see if it’s important.

“Its okay. I want to spend some more time with you,” Ji Hoon said with a smile.