☆☆ Review • forevernever

Writing Down the Bones {CLOSED FOR JUDGING}


Workshop 2:

Questions of Identity & Belongingness / Death & Rebirth

once you taste bliss (you never forget)

by forevernever

 
 

My initial reaction to this story came through reading your introduction on the foreword page. I was fascinated with the image of the dying cherry tree just outside the window of your grandparents’ home; intrigued to see how the allusion from Spirited Away would play inside the text—and now, having read it twice, can honestly see these inspirations of yours hard at work inside the words.

Another reaction I first had when reading was the long lines separating sequences. Though there’s nothing wrong with them, I found them distracting initially, though by the end, it seemed more forgivable. As far as this story is concerned, the biggest issues you seemed to have were typos, misspellings, and comma placement, many of which a grammar-check would fix. Because I offered a review with the intention to help you hone your writing skills, I have mapped out some points that could stand to be revised. Many of them are the same points made before, but hopefully the more you continue to work on them, the stronger you will become:

Comma confusion. The most helpful trick I can offer is to think about how your sentence sounds (it’s helpful to read it aloud) then note where you naturally take a breath. This natural pause is where you want to put your comma. Sometimes a semicolon is a better option than a comma, dashes also, especially if you are having trouble linking fragments or incongruent thoughts together. I recommend you use both of these lovely devices. Where a semicolon indicates a pause between main clauses (longer than a comma), a colon separates two clauses in which the second clause expands or illustrates the first. Spend some time reading aloud in order to understand the importance of these pauses and where you feel they should go. You must also remember to use a comma when separating vocatives, parenthetical phrases, and predicates and modifiers.

  • “…most dismiss it as an urban legend but had Taemin heard this story when he first came to Seoul, he would have ridiculed the idea.” -> “…most dismiss it as an urban legend[, and] had Taemin heard this story when he first came to Seoul, he would have [found it ridiculous too].”
  • “The music simply asks him to be and Taemin is more than happy to comply with sharp angles and smooth lines and pent-up anger melting away.” -> “The music simply asks him to be[,] and Taemin is more than happy to comply [as his] pent-up anger melt[s] away.”
  • “There's blood everywhere and he can't breathe and they're moving him and moving him and Taemin wonders if he's dying.” -> “There’s blood everywhere and he can’t breathe[,] and they’re moving him [so much that] Taemin wonders if he’s dying.”
  • “Nine months of hell and waiting and when those days are over…” -> “Nine months of hell and waiting[,] and when those days are over…”
  • “For the first time in forever, it feels less lonely and more bright and he likes to go outside and see the smiles on people faces as they fall in love again under his trees.” -> “For the first time in forever, it feels less lonely and more bright[,] and he likes to go outside and see the smiles on people faces as they fall in love again under his trees.”
  • “Either you sign now and you have a few months to prepare or we come a week before with better warrants.” -> “Either you sign now and you have a few months to prepare[,] or we come a week before with [a] warrant.”
  • It doesn't matter right? He reasons, So it doesn't even matter what I do.” -> “It doesn’t matter[,] right? [h]e reasons[.] So it doesn’t even matter what I do.”
  • “Of course there are people who appreciate and there are some people who visit his grove and need it as much as he does.” -> “Of course there are people who appreciate[,]visit[,] and need his grove as much as he does.”
  • “ ‘I don't work for free you know,’ Kibum's eyes sharpen and Taemin's stomach drops. But the older man's face relaxes into a laugh, rounder and less biting than his previous one. ‘Nah, don't looks so terrified kid. Maybe some small fees here and there- it's not like you're trying to sue the city or anything.’ Kibum snorts. ‘It's been a while since I've done pro bono anything.’ ” -> “ ‘I don’t work for free[,] you know,’ Kibum’s eyes sharpen and Taemin’s stomach drops. But the man’s face relaxes into a laugh, rounder and less biting than [before]. ‘Nah, don’t look so terrified[,] kid. Maybe some small fees here and there[—]it’s not like you’re trying to sue the city[,] or anything[,]’ Kibum snorts. ‘It’s been a while since I’ve done pro bono.’ ”
  • “…Taemin's never seen Minho smile, and the way it unfurls, slowly and softly like a blossom seeing the sun for the first time. takes his breath away. He's forgotten how it feels to be surprised by something so purely beautiful.” -> “…Taemin’s never seen Minho smile, and the way it unfurls, slowly and softly like a blossom seeing the sun for the first time[,] takes his breath away. He’s forgotten how it feels to be surprised by something so purely beautiful.”
  • “But his body doesn't forget the thump of the bass or the count of eight or the way that he can turn his body from a spark into a burning inferno to smothering embers in a matter of beats.” -> “But his body doesn’t forget the thump of the bass or the count of eight[,] or the way that he can turn his body from a spark into a burning inferno in a matter of beats.”

 

Dashes vs hyphens. Make sure you are using them both correctly. A dash is technically two hyphens on your keyboard, and should connect both surrounding words without a gap. 

  • For example: “But he doesn't- not because it's not the most implausible claim…” -> “But he doesn’t[—]not because it’s not the most implausible claim…” “He does something impulsive- follows his whims instead of his mind.” -> “He does something impulsive—follows his whims instead of his mind.”
  • In the case where you offer no punctuation at all, I felt a dash was most appropriate: “But the disappointment” -> “But the disappointment[—]”

 

Repetitious syntax and implied information. You do a good job at keeping the storyline brief for the most part, though there are some things that could stand to be trimmed. The fact that you wrote this in one sitting probably serves as a handicap in editing. If you were to reread this story, I’m sure you would find many of the typos and repetitive clauses on your own. Until then, here are a few examples:

  • “Taemin first feels this the first time he dances, the first time, in the secrecy of his room…” -> “Taemin feels this the first time he dances, the first time, in the secrecy of his room…” While technically not incorrect, the use of the word ‘first’ makes the line choppy; even cutting one of these makes the sentence run smoother.
  • “He supposes it's beginner's luck that he manages to find a cramped apartment with cheap rent next to a studio that has both quality and cheap classes. It's also luck that after his second lesson, his teacher takes an interest in him and asks him if he wants a jobs teaching the younger classes.” -> “He supposes it’s luck that he manages to find a cheap, small apartment next to a decent studio. It’s also luck that, after his second lesson, his teacher takes an interest in him and asks if he wants a job teaching classes.”
  • “He sells the loft he had been renting out while on tour and in the hospital and uses almost all his savings to a small plot of land in the worst part of Seoul.” -> “He sells the loft and uses [nearly] all his savings [in order] to [buy] a small plot of land in the worst part of Seoul.”
  • “He's five seconds from choosing the latter, picking up a stray ball-point pen to sign his name neatly, as if it's just the electricity bill. The thought of moving back to who-knows-where-anymore doesn't faze him nearly as much when he's strung on sleep deprivaion and self-doubt creeping up the back of his throat.” -> “He’s five seconds from choosing the latter [as he picks] up a ball-point pen to sign his name as if it’s the electricity bill. The thought of moving back to who-knows-where doesn’t faze him nearly as much when he’s strung [out] on sleep deprivation and self-doubt.”
  • “Taemin gives a start in surprise, recoiling and hitting his wrist against the corner of the table. He curses.” -> “Taemin recoils and [accidentally] hits his wrist against the corner of the table. He curses.”
  • “Minho asks, voice hesitant but eyes are woody and certain as he nods towards the phone book.” -> “Minho asks and nods towards the phone book.” The ‘woody eyes’ doesn’t really tell us anything or add to the sentence.
  • “He sees it in the way people's eyes soften and the line of their shoulders relaxes.” -> “He sees it in the way people’s eyes soften and [in] the line of their shoulders relaxing.”

 

Typos & Punctuation & Word Choice. Again, a good read-through would probably reveal a lot of these things to you easily. They’re pretty simple mistakes that were more than likely just overlooked.  

  • “…or how he's every going to grow big enough…” -> “…or how he’s ever going to grow big enough…”
  • “…until parents come home from the market.” -> “…until his parents come home from the market.”
  • i understand” -> “I understand[.]”
  • “…when he leaves wth a one-way ticket to Seoul and five years worth of savings from odd jobs.” -> “…when he leaves with a one-way ticket to Seoul and five years worth of savings from odd jobs.”
  • “on stage” vs “onstage”
  • “He asks music for guidance and music tells him how to best play the shadow to their light.” -> “He asks Music for guidance and Music tells him how to best play the shadow to their light.” In this sense, ‘music’ is a personified pronoun and needs to be capitalized.
  • “His parents call with I told you so. and You regret dancing now don't you? and he so he lies a bit through his teeth, saying he's alright and he has a bright career ahead of him (and not long hospital corriders and painful physical therapy trying to make his leg right again).” -> “His parents call with[,] I told you so and[,] You regret dancing now[,] don’t you? [A]nd he lies through his teeth, saying he’s alright and has a bright career ahead of him (instead of long hospital corridors and painful physical therapy).”
  • “it's been nine months without dancing.” -> “It’s been nine months without dancing.”
  • “alright” -> “all right”
  • “He's not really happy and the tiredness still worms his way into his bones…”-> “He’s not really happy and the tiredness still worms [its] way into his bones…”
  • “He may not have a solid path, but if he can survive day-to-day and with time, he will have survived moth-to-month and year-to-year.” -> “He may not have a solid path, but if he can survive day-to-day, he will have survived month-to-month and year-to-year.”
  • “He gumbles and chugs it.” -> “He grumbles and chugs it.”
  • “Taemin's still not sure whether MInho is some long-term hallucination or some strange spirit after his soul and sins, but he never approaches the man. He wonders if he ignores it long enough, if Minho will just disappear.” -> “Taemin’s still not sure whether Minho is some long-term hallucination or [a] spirit after his soul, but he never approaches the man. He wonders if he ignores him long enough, if Minho will just disappear.”
  • “…it's lying in plain sight and Taemin has been glancing in half-consideration every day.” -> “…it’s lying in plain sight and Taemin has been glancing [at it all] day.”
  • “He sees it in the way couples make up at the bench under the trees and steal kisses when they think no one is looking.” -> “He sees it in the way couples make up on the bench under the trees and steal kisses when they think no one is looking.”
  • “…the section with lawyers who are way otuside his budget…” -> “…the section with lawyers who are way outside his budget…”
  • “(His gate has always open and until he started watching, Taemin never realized how many people wander in and wander out with dreamy smiles curled on their lips.” -> “(His gate has always [been] open[, but] until he started watching [it], Taemin never realized [just] how many people wander[ed] in and out [of it] with dreamy smiles curl[ing] their lips[)].”
  • “Hi, mom?” -> “Hi, [M]om?”  (You have to capitalize pronouns). 
  • “There's a lot about Minho that reminds Taemin about things he's forgotten.” -> “There’s a lot about Minho that reminds Taemin of things he’s forgotten.”
  • But, Tamin thinks, this is worth fighting for.” -> “But, Taemin thinks, this is worth fighting for.”
  • “…pushing up the shade to glance and the trees and hazy summer sky in the distanec as the train This time, he feels not exhilaration but a slow, sated kind of tiredness.” -> “…pushing up the shade to glance and the trees and hazy summer sky in the distance[.] This time, he feels not exhilaration[,] but a slow, sated kind of tiredness.”

 

Logistics

  • “…but he's also fought down a bull with his two bare hands and can aim a shotgun with surprising accuracy.” The problem here is that it is illegal for anyone under twenty years of age to handle a gun in Korea, and even still, it is very rare for any civilian to handle a gun at all. The exception is hunters of course, but apparently, there are only a small amount of these in the country anyway, and they are required to keep their firearms at the police station during off-season. Since Taemin leaves home at eighteen, either way, I can’t imagine he’s legally fired, or aimed, a shotgun before. 
  • “ ‘You do care." Minho asks, a smile in his voice.’ ” If Minho is asking Taemin something, there would be a question mark. This doesn’t seem like a question, so I would use a comma instead. Also, how can a smile be in a voice? This syntax is confusing. Consider -> “ ‘You do care[,]’ Minho grinned.”
  • Cherry trees take a significant time to blossom, even your narrator pointed this out. I am struggling to understand how Taemin, since he is still young enough to pick up dancing again at the end of the story, would ever see a grove come into full blossom—to the degree that the trunks and branches would have enough girth for people to ‘sit under.’ Unless this is meant to be read as magical realism, I can’t imagine how this would happen.
  • I had a hard time connecting the title to the story. The sensibility of the plot has little to do with taste, so it doesn’t tie in as easily as hoped for. I never really felt like Taemin met bliss per say, more that it was something he was working towards finding in himself by the story's end. Also, I don’t like that it is underscored and with parentheticals. I believe you could come up with a much stronger, relevant title. 

 

Notable Things I Liked:

  • The ‘fragility and beauty of life’ that he first feels through dance, the peace, is later characterized by the cherry blossoms.
  • Impressive that you wrote this in one night. I love the brevity of this story, the pace. Each line is succinct and necessary to the plot. The tone is perfect, and the impersonality of the main character really allows me to understand him in a way. I love Minho’s presence; airy and all-knowing, yet at the same time unassuming. He takes over the role as muse in a way, and I feel a sort of sadness when he leaves. 
  • “ ‘Don’t let that die. Pass it on.’ / He doesn’t, even when it’s cold and he lives off 99 cent ramen noodles packs and coffee from the corner shop down the street. Even when he avoids his parents’ calls to keep down his phone bill.” There are a lot of things I like here: the lines themselves are well written; the fact that through Minho and the trees, that he is able to keep that ‘spark’ alive after his first muse, Music, temporarily fails him; I also love the subtlety of the line about his parents’ calling because it says so much without having to be obvious.
  • I love the cold passing of time, the impersonality of it, especially while Taemin is in the hospital/recovery like a ‘ghost.’
  • I like that he asks Music for ‘guidance,’ our first introduction to the spirituality of this story. I can see how Spirited Away influenced the way you saw Taemin's world here, especially with Minho and the cherry trees.
  • 1:34, Feb 17 = notations of Minho’s death and the beginning of this story.
  • “On rainy days, sometimes his leg still hurts.”
  • “He does something impulsive[—]follows his whims instead of his mind.”
  • “It's not ideal, but in the spring, the cherry blossoms bloom, and they feel like they're telling him it will be alright.”
  • “…he likes to go outside and see the smiles on people faces as they fall in love again under his trees.”
  • Yes, his blossoms seem to murmur, You will still survive.” / “His trees were probably lying to him, he realizes, when one day a wizened man in a suit comes up to his door with a clipboard.”  I love this contrast. 
  • “Taemin has always liked contradictions[—]the juxtaposition of his sweatpants and other dancers' skintight leather, the image of falling cherry blossoms against decaying concrete, the way it feels to follow up [I] love you with but [I] hate you[—]but he never expected to become one. His phone book lies open on the yellow pages, the section with lawyers who are way [outside] his budget but Taemin can afford to support an entire cherry grove in his backyard. He's all stagnation and indecision against a city that moves too fast and his heart is simultaneously telling him that everything would have worked out had he only worked harder and that he should just give up.” This is such a great paragraph. You work a lot of contrasts into the story, which I found very interesting and poetic.
  • “ ‘I’m the spirit of the cherry tree[,]’ Minho explains[,] ‘And I can’t seem to move on. There must be some wrong I must right before I can pass.’ ” / “Taemin quietly picks up a broom to sweep the next round of fallen cherry petals out of the apartment.” 2min's relationship is as intriguing in this story as it is undefinable.
  • “For the first time in many, many years, a small seed of hope begins to plant its roots.”
  • “ ‘It was painful to be cut down[,]’ Minho says the stamps. ‘Dying hurt, but you know what hurt more? Coming back to life.’ ”
  • “In all his time with Minho, Taemin’s never seen Minho smile, and the way it unfurls, slowly and softly like a blossom seeing the sun for the first time[,] takes his breath away. He’s forgotten how it feels to be surprised by something so purely beautiful.” What a wonderful way to paint Minho’s character, so lovely, so earthy and innocent…
  • “…he’s out of shape, his muscles soft, his grace rusted.” I like the way you phrase the ‘rusted grace’ of his previously broken body. Very nice.
  • The ending. The connection between the cherry blossoms, especially personified, and Taemin’s ‘fire.’ I love the transience of this story, and the unanswered mysteries. It reminded me of rice paper—the edible kind in candy. For a moment it is sweet on the tongue and then, a second later, it is gone. That is what this story did for me, which is never a bad thing.

 

 

Good Job!!

[...judging is still in progress...]

*Again, the purpose and goal of this workshop is to be helpful, one writer to another. I don't grade by points, simply give you the advice I have received myself along the years. You may take anything I have to say with a grain of salt; it is your story and your emerging talents, so be confident and continue to write the stories that are inside you—be the master of your own domain, regardless of what anyone else has to say. In the meantime, I hope I was of some help.