Peppermint Mocha

Until The Clock Strikes

 

Soo Ji

School

Another day had begun and I walked up once again to the gates that lead to the school.Whilst walking through them uncertainty ran through me; I had no set routine and I felt at a loss. Around me buzzed students, many chatting amongst friends. I looked around nervously for a familiar face or anything to help guide me. My stomach churned with anxiousness, large crowds always put me on edge the fear of getting lost would be present. But how could I get lost or separated when I'm alone? Regardless the feeling was there and I looked around scanning for some sort of cue. I continued to walk forward, while doing so I pulled out my schedule from my bag. My eyes traced along the lines of the coloumns on the table.

What day is it? Four?

I looked at the coloumn that headed the title "Day 4" my eyes scrolled downwards and my gaze landed on the first period block.

Spare.

Hmm.. So in other words play time.

I smiled a bit. I could really use a break or even better- a nap. The nervousness within me began to settle down. I made my way behind the main building and towards the back field that was bordered by the school's other buildings. in the far back,centred in the field was the large clock tower. Building were on both sides of it and the field infront was filled with plant life and benches. I walked towards a bench off to the far right corner of the large field that was under the shade of a maple tree. Its leaves were spotted red and yellow and the wind ran its fingers between the branches, rustling the leaves to produce a sweet tune in the air. The corner was vacant with only a few students still lingering as the began to make their way to their classes. 

Ding Dong Ding

The bell went off, signaling first period. The few remaining students went off into the buildings, some rushing to get to class others leisurely walking without a care. The contrast between the two reactions made it apparent that in all schools there are always those who take learning a bit more seriously and others who don't. It was interesting though how the contrast between the two was seemingly split in half. One half rushing so they could get the education they were paying for and were hoping would better their future and the other sauntering in, a smile plastered on their face with the knowledge of their secure future.

The desparity between the students was evident and despite only being at the school for only a day I could tell that the two classes did not mix at all. There wasn't even picking on the scholarship students. Instead they were avoided by the privledged class. I guess you could call this a good thing. For one it prevented bullying and this way no one felt inferior or superior to the other because they never interacted. Besides from having the same classes the two were completely different, if they did interact it'd be like mixing oil and water. 

Its almost like a drama.

I placed my stuff on the bench beside me. A sigh escaped my lips as I looked up towards the sky. Slowly sleep fell over me. The wind grazed by my cheek as I shut my eyes.

Kai

School

I walked through the school gates, a bit late for first period. It was on purpose so that I could avoid the commotion that some of the female students brought. I had a tray of coffee with me. I held onto the handle of the carboard as I walked down the pathway to the back. Taking a sip I looked down at the container and counted the number of cups. 

Hopefully I ddin't forget someone.

My eyes scanend over and I counted in my head.

One for Suho. One for Kyungsoo. One for Chanyeol. One for Sehun. One for Baekhyun. and One for Soo Ji. A total of six, well seven including mine.

I continued to stare at the cup that I bought for Soo Ji. 

Why did I buy it? It wasn't necessary... And I barely know her. What if she doesn't accept it? Or thinks its odd.

I shook my head a bit as I continued to walk down the field.

Nah, I'm sure she'll take it. After all its a peppermint mocha.

Flashback

Two weeks.

That's how long I've been walking into Cafe et Amour everyday and ordering coffee. By now I swear I've tried everything on the menu. It was worth it, though, just to have a small conversation with Soo Ji at the counter. 

"Just make a move already. I'm tired of drinking coffee everyday because of you." Kyungsoo had told me only half an hour ago.

"Its not like that." I had tried to convince him.

"Sure... Whatever then. Just go by yourself." he said.

"By myself?" I repeated.

"Yeah. By yourself." 

"But-" the call ended before I could finish.

After that I spent the rest of the thirty minutes pacing around the living room. Until finially I decided to go.

I pulled open the door and the chimes above sang their familiar song.

"Welcome!" Soo Ji greeted. She was busy making another customer's drink so she didn't turn around.

I walked up to the counter and as I didn Soo Ji turned around and gave the girl her drink. She took it and walked off by the time I got the counter.

Still having not looked up and while putting away the cash she had just received she asked,"What can I get-"

She looked up. "Oh." she smiled. "Its you."

"Hmm, Yeah." I returned the smile.

"Where's your friend?" she asked. "Did he get sick of drinking coffee all the time?"

"How did you know?"

"Hmm. I had a hunch." she continued. "So, what can I get for you?"

I looked up at the menu. I had already tried everything on there. Feeling playful I looked back at her and asked, "What do you reccomend?"

"Well, seeing as you've managed to go through our entire menu. I would say something off our secret menu would be a nice change." she looked at me, a slight smirk on her face.

"The secret menu?" I asked. "Alright, what's the best thing you got off the "secret menu" of yours."

"Well, if I were you I'd definitely get the peppermint mocha. Its my favourite." she said excitedly.

"In that case, I'll have to take that!" I smiled at her.

"Coming right up!"

I looked up and saw Soo Ji on a bench infront of me. I walked up to the bench, somewhat excitedly.

"Hey I bought you-" I stopped, realizing that she was fast asleep. ".. some coffee." I finished.

I couldn't help but smile at her sleeping face.

Its kind of cute.

I sat down beside her. 

"Aigoo~" I sighed. "This girl. Sleeping outside." I looked back down at her face.

Her head began to fall but before it did she'd pull it back up.Until it swiftly fell onto my shoulder.

I was a bit taken a back from the sudden pressure on my shoulder.

"Only this one time, I'll let you use me as a pillow." I warned her sleeping form.

I looked at the coffee on my lap and back at her.

Should I wake her? I contemplated.

Instead I took a sip from the coffee I had earlier and stared out into the sky above.

I bit down on my lip as I resisted the urge to her hair. But that was futile. I looked back down at her and brushed some of the hair that covered her face out of the way. I smiled at the expression on it. 

Smiling and drooling. Heh, that's interesting to say the least.

I ran my fingers through her hair a bit. It was soft and silky, just as it seemed by looking at it. I glanced down at my watch and realized it would soon be second period. Carefully, I moved her head off my shoulder and I stood up.

I grabbed the tray and placed the peppermint mocha beside her. 

"You'll need this." I said before patting her head and walking to second period.

Soo Ji

School

The sound of a branch snapping woke me. I looked around for signs of another person but none were found. I looked down at my things to make sure they were all there and upon examining the pile I saw an unfamiliar object. Beside my bag was a coffee cup, filled to the brim with what smelled like a peppermint mocha. I picked up the cup and noticed the text written along the side ,"Cafe et Amour" . My eyes widened a bit. Once again I looked around for signs of the owner. Again none were found. Slowly I turned back to the cup. It was heavy, seemingly not even a sip was taken. I pulled the lid off and the rich aroma tingled my senses. I took a sniff to make sure nothing was added. Cautiously I put the lid back on and brought the cardboard to my lips. 

"Mmm.." I smiled in delight, the warmth of the drink soothing me.

How did they know that peppermint mochas were my favourite?

Briefly I let my gaurd down, sipping on the stream of black liquid. 

Well, if its poisoned at least the last thing I drank was delicious coffee.

Taking another sip I took out my phone and glanced at the time. I choked a bit as I realized it was only two minutes until my next class started and it was on the other side of the school. As quickly as I could I gathered my things and scurried off.

I ran into the class room, panting a bit as I entered. Shortly after the bell signaling the start of class rang.

"Nice of you to join us Ms.Lee." Mrs. Oh looked at me at the door way.

"How about taking a seat." she nodded her head towards a vacant desk beside the window in the back.

I nodded and scurried to the seat as fast as I could to avoid anymore attention.

"What? Did you run a marathon before coming here." laughed a familiar voice.

I looked over to my left to see Sehun, a smirk on his face. 

"Wow. How did you know?" I joked back.

"Hmm.. Who knows? I guess I'm just a good guesser." He smiled.

I began to laugh but swiftly covered my mouth to muffle the noise.

"Hey..." he began.

"Hmm." I replied trying my best to be somewhat attentive to the lesson on hand.

"Are you going to the carnival?" he turned to me.

"Carnival?" I raised an eyebrow. "What carnival?"

"You know, the annual carnival the school puts on. There's sponsers and they put up rides and booths. They use it to raise money for the less fortunate." he used air quotations around the words "less fortunate"

I looked at him quizzically, expecting an explaination.

"What they really do is use the event to give the school a good rep. Also, the sponsors use it to make connections with the students' parents and vice versa. Its really all a show for the public." he shrugged his shoulders.

"Still, the booths and rides are fun. Might as well take advantage, right? he asked.

"I guess so. When is it?" I whispered. The teacher had been shooting looks in our direction.

"This weekend. We're all going. Me, Suho, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, and Kai."

I couldn't surpress the smile that made my way onto my face upon hearing Kai's name.

"C'mon. It'll be fun!" he exclaimed.

"I can bring a friend right?" I asked.

Mi Rae would kill me if I didn't bring her.

"Of course, heh." he smiled.

"Alright. I'll go!" I smiled back.

"Yehet! We're meeting at the gate at 12, don't forget~" he informed me.

I spent the rest of the class trying to focus, but the excitement inside of me mad that difficult.

Ding Dong Ding

The bell went off.

"That's the end of class. You're dismissed. Don't forget about your homework its due next Tuesday." Mrs. Oh told the class as the filed out through the door.

As soon as I got home I called up Mi Rae.

"Guess what?"

"What?" she asked.

"There's a carnival this weekend. Do you want to go?"

"Ooh~ A carnival! Who else is coming?"

"Well, uhm Sehun, he's a guy in my class, invited me. So all his friends."

"Are they cute?" I could feel her excitement through the phone.

"Eh, well.. Maybe.. Why does it even matter. Are you coming or not?"

"I'm coming! I'm coming!" she yelled. 

"Alright,meet me at my house on Saturday. And don't be late, we're meeting them at the school at tweleve." I laughed a bit at her enthusiasm.

"Psshh. Why would I be late?" she said sarcastically. We both know she never shows up one time. "Alright! Dont' leave me or else I'll be mad!" 

"I won't~ I'll talk to you later, okay?"

" 'Kay~ Bye~" the call ended.

My heart began to pound.

Deugeum Deugeum

Geez, c'mon its not a date. Calm down would you, Soo Ji.

I sighed.

I want it to be the weekend already.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note:

Hello, everyone~ Its been a while hasn't it? I'm so sorry! School got busy so I couldn't updat >.< Forgive me~ But now I'm on winter break for two weeks so hopefully I can update more for you! ^^ I hope you guys are enjoying so far! Comments and critism is appreciated. Alright that's it guys! See you!