Is it Fate?

Until The Clock Strikes

 

Soo Ji

Home

"Oh my gosh! I'm so proud of you Soo Ji-ah! Ack! I wish I was there so I could hug you!" Mi Rae was on the other line. Her voice sounded a bit muffled and the connection wasn't great because of the distance but her eunthusiasim was clearly audiable.

Ah, I don't know where to be excited or scared to death! I won't know anyone and I won't be anything like them. I'm afraid they'll reject me and even though I loath attention I still have the want of being a part of something. The feeling of belonging, won't I miss that there?

I wanted to tell her those words so badly. 

"I know! I'm so exicted!" were the substituted words that left my mouth.

"Are you sure you won't be lonely without me~" She sang.

"I'll be fine!" I laughed 

"Aww, not even a little bit?" I could sense her pouting on the other end.

"... Okay, maybe a little." 

"Heh, I knew it!" her voice brightened up. There was muffled talking from the other end. "Ah, sorry, Soo Ji. I have to go."

"Its okay. Have fun!" I reassured her.

"Bye~" the call ended shortly after.

Soon enough the summer heat began to fade and the scent of autumn came rushing in. The cool weather was a signal of the start of the school year. The leaves on trees began to fade into shades of gold and red. The passing winds provided a slight cooling effect against the skin. Making the lingering heat less intense. Nerves began to bundle up from within my stomach as I began to walk to school.

Empire High

I hadn't got my uniform yet so I opted to wear normal clothes. I was going to get my uniform today but obviously I couldn't wear something I didn't have yet to school. So I threw on a leather skater skirt paired with striped tights and a sweater tucked inside. A pair of neutral ankle boots were laced, securing them to my feet and my nails were painted a metallic gold colour. I accessorized with a burgandy scarf, a leather bracelet and an owl ring. I took one last look at myself in the mirror before slinging on my messanger bag and heading out the door.

 

Lee Soo Ji Fall Outfit

 

 
 
The autumn wind greeted me as I walked outside. It brushed against my cheek, sending chills down my spine. Somehow the breeze was refeshing, instantly drawing me out of my grogginess. The sun was beginning to rise, spreading peach and orange sunrise glow across the sky. Contrasting with the dark blue that still lingered amongst the few stars that continued to twinkle. I looked at the clock on my phone. 7:30 was the time it read. I decided to leave early so that I would have time to check out the school and to change into my school uniform. 
 
I continued down the street but stoppped before a small conveinance store that was on the path to the bus stop. "Open" the neon sign blinked. I continued forwards and strided towards the door before ynking it open. I walked in and instictively went towards the back picking up snacks. 
 
Hmmm... Should I get a bag of trail mix or mixed nuts?
Or even better! A chocolate bar!
Nah, that's probably not a good idea..
Maybe... My hands reached forward towards a bun wrapped in plastic. The filling of the bread was strawberry jam accompanied by a sweet cream.I shrugged my shoulders and picked up the bun as well as a carton of milk from the near by refridgeratior.
 
I walked up to the front counter and paid for my "breakfast", placing it inside my bag as I left the building. The chimes by the door ringing as the door closed swiftly behind me. 
 
Eventually I found myself infront of the magnificent building that was Empire High. There I stood infront a large gate that separated me from the courtyard infront of the building. Pensively I walked through the metal gates and into the serene garden. In the middle was a large fountain, a sculpture of two dolphins on the top water spewing out of their mouths.  At the base of the structure was a flower bed. Despite the enterance of fall the plants held on to their vibrance. Bright reds and oranges, pastel pinks and purples, and mellow yellows and blues painted their petals. Trees lined the side of the path way, maples and spruces alongside cherry and apple trees. Their leaves too adding the the scenic view before me. I walked forward towards the fountain, off to the side I saw a wooden bench and decided to settle there. From inside the gates I could tell that there was more than one building to the campus. Above the horizon of the main building I saw the peaks of others and even a very tall clock tower that presented the time to the students. I turned my head to the left and examined the main building. There was a walk way outside for the students to commute on presumably to get to other buildings. It was structured like a Victorian building. Charm and elegance radiated from the structure. Pillars stood out front infront of the stairway that lead to the entrance. One that was made up of large wooden doors and large windows placed on either side. 
 
I turned my attention away from the building and opened up my bag, reaching inside for the goods I had placed inside earlier. It didn't take long for my hands to land on the plastic that covered the bun and the cardboard that contained my milk. I opened the carton and set it aside as I opened the plastic that kept me away from the strawberry filled bread. Excitedly I took a bite out of it, my eyes closing in satisfaction and a slight "Mmm" of joy escaped from my lips. The sweetness of the strawberry tingled and excited my taste buds and the smoothness of the cream slid down my throat. The softness of the bread created a light cusion between the two flavours enhancing the pleasure of the bun. My right hand reached for the carton of milk and I brought it up to my lips. The liquid satisfying my thirst and relieving me of the dryness that had began to form in my mouth. I repeated the process until the contents of my meal had been devoured and with that I stood up and walked towards the entrance, awaiting the day to come.
 
The inside of the building wasn't any less appealing than the outside. Marble was layed out on the floors and stone lined the walls. Large pictures hung from the hallway walls, some protraits of the founders others landscape photographs along with paintings that were crafted from the well-known and famous. Scanning around the main enterance my eyes landed on a sjgn above a door that was tucked away in a corner. "Newcomers" was printed on the plastic. Anxiously I walked towards the door unsure what to expect.
 
There was a lady sitting at a desk at the front of the room. She seemed too focused on her work on the computer to notice that I had entered the room. I wlked up to the desk and smiled politely. Sensing my presence the lady looked up at me. Her brown eyes examined me for a minute as if trying to figure out who I was and what I was doing there. 
 
"Ah, you must the new student!" she realized.
 
"Uhm, yeah..." I replied back.
 
She looked at me top to bottom, examining my clothes. 
 
"Mmm, you must be a scholarship student." she smiled a bit at me.
 
Insecurity flowed throughout me as I pulled and the hem of my skirt nervously.
 
"Hmm.." Was all I managed to say as I stared at the ground beneath me.
 
"Well," she gathered some papers infront of her. "Here are your papers. The first one is your schedule and the second one is a map of the school. I hope you know your way around a map because that sheet of paper is going to be your best friend until you figure out where alll your classes are." 
 
She handed me the paper as she got up and went to the back room. Shortly after she returned with a uniform in a dry cleaning hanger with plastic over top. 
 
"Here's your uniform." she handed over the clothing. "And your student I.D aswell as your lunch card. " she extended her hand towards me two cards between her thumb and forefinger.
 
I grabbed the cards and placed them inside my wallet for safe keeping. 
 
"You can go change there." the lady pointed to a room behind her. "Also, your locker number and combo are on your time table. Now if you don't need anythingelse I'll be going back to my work." and with that she walked towards her desk and began typing away at her computer.
 
I entered the room and noticed that it was a bathroom. A very luxurious one at that. Once again marble lined the floors but also the walls. The sinks were porcelain and had exquisite taps with beautiful detailing. A round otoman sat in the middle of the bathroom and was covered in brown leather. I scurried into one of the stalls and unwrapped the uniforms. Underneath the covering was a white blouse, a black blazer, as well as a green an blue plaid skirt.A checkered tie was included as well as oxfords that were conveinantly in my size. As quickly as I could I changed into the clothes I was given.
 
 
 
 
 
I scurried out of the office and made my way towards the lockers. Flipping through the papers I was given I eventually make it to my schedule. Looking at the top right corner the numbers 856 were present beside the words "Locker Number" directly below were the words "Locker Combo.". I walked through the halls trying to gage where about my locker would be. The first row downstairs were filled with the numbers 100-500. I continued through out the hall untill reaching a stairwell. Hesitantly I walked up the stairs uncertain if it was open to students. It lead to another hallway filled with more lockers. This time the numbers were from 501-860. At the end I spotted the metal container that I was to call my locker. I walked up to it noticing that the lock that was placed upon it was one of those that required a sequence of numbers and various turning in opposite directions. I sighed at the sight, greatly disappointed. I glanced down at the paper reading the numbers off of it as I turned the lock in all sorts of directions trying to open the contraption. Minutes went by and I had no luck.
 
"Ugh! I hate these stupid locks!" I complained, annoyance settling in my vains.
 
Soon after the sound of screaming girls could be heard from down below. A mess of words compiled together just to make in audiable sentences. 
 
What is going on? I looked around the hall. There was no sight of anyone. After a few more minutes of listen I deducted that the source of the sound was coming from the level beneath me. How can people be so loud? I sighed as I went back to the infernal contraption.
 
I bit down on my lip as annoyance turned into frustration.
 
"Need help?" a slightly familar voice called. 
 
I looked to my left and so no other than Doe Boy beside me.
 
"Uh, yeah. " I laughed a bit out of embarassment.
 
"Here." he walked infront of the lock. "Read out the numbers and I'l open it."
 
I looked down at the table once again. "15,24,11,6,and 10" I told him.
 
Soon after a click was heard from the lock as it opened. He removed it from the locker and held it out to me.
 
"Here you go." he smiled.
 
"Ah, thank you.." I took the lock from his hands.
 
He looked at the lockers around before smiling a bit. "If you ever need help feel free to ask Kai."
 
I looked at him curiously.
 
"You know that tall cold guy that came with us to the cafe? Yeah, his locker is right beside yours. Tell him I said he'd help and I'm sure he will." he explained with a grin on his face.
 
The mention of his name caused blood to rush to my face, luckily not enough to make an apparent difference in my physical appearance.
 
"Oh, thank you!" I smiled at him.
 
"No problem. Consider it a thanks for all the delicious coffee you gave us of over the summer." and with that he turned around and walked down the hallway.
 
I turned towards my locker and opened the door. The insides were barren and so I placed the clothes I had arrived in inside the compartment. Hanging up my scarf and jacket on the hook on the side, placing my shoes on the bottom, and the bag filled with the rest of the outfit on a shelf on top. I removed any unecessary notebooks from my bag and placed them inside aswell. I shut the door and placed the lock back on. I looked down at the table reading my first class of the day. "Chemistry" it read. I looked at the map and confusion washed over me.
 
This is going to be a long day.
 
 
Time went on and somehow I manged to make it to all my morning classes on time. Soon enough it was lunch and I found myself asking another student for directions to the cafeteria.
 
Upon entering the cafeteria it was apparent that it was more of a lounge. Couches were placed on a rised section with a coffee tables in between. On the lower section was the counters which the food was placed in a buffet style as well as long dinner tables with plush chairs. The lower section's floor was lined with a dark cherry coloured hardwood and the upper section with soft carpet. Both sections were inviting but I noticed a small section closed off from the others. It was even more extravagant than the rest of the cafeteria. A glass table was in the middle and surrounded by it were chairs, about twelve or fourteen of them. A television set was placed close by in the spot so that anyone that was seated in the area could watch it in comfort and a small fence closed it off from the rest. The area was certainly large and was centered in the back of the room, very much like a VIP lounge.In fact if I were to guess that's what I would think it was. 
 
I walked towards the buffet and stopped briefly infront of it, contemplating on what I should get. 
 
"The speghetti . Trust me. I've tried everything on the menu." A familiar voice came up behind me, sending chills down my spine. I could feel the warmth of his breath as he spoke. 
 
Slowly I turned around to see none other than Kai standing unusually close to me.
 
"I don't doubt you." I smirked at him. "It seems trying everything is a bit of a habit of yours."
 
"That's how I know what's good. Here." he walked towards the buffet picking out food and placing it on his plate.
 
I watched him as he picked up a donut, a slice of pizza, and a side of fries.
 
He turned around and our gazes met.
 
Deugeum Deugeum My heart fluttered.
 
"Aren't you going to eat?" he asked a small smile placed upon his lips.
 
Hesitantly I walked after him. Picking up the same items.
 
He did say he tried everything, right?
 
I saw him glance over at me, a smirk replaced his smile.
 
"What?" I asked him now picking up a slice of pizza.
 
"Nothing..." his smirk was still plastered upon his face.
 
He left the line and went up to pay at he counter. I took long strides in order to keep up.
 
"I'll pay for both." he told the lady at the front.
 
"Ah, no its okay, I'll pay for mine." I looked up at him. Turning to the lady I said. "I'll pay."
 
His eyebrow shot up. "Are you refusing my offer?"
 
"And what if I am?" I responded to his expression.
 
He laughed a bit. "I've never had some one do that before."
 
"Well, there's a fist time for everything." I said as I handed over the lunch card and some cash to the lunch lady. She calculated the change and scanned the card before giving it back to me.
 
Kai did the same and we both turned around. The cafeteria that was almost completely empty when I arrived was now filled with students, each bussling around. As I turned I began to hear whispers and felt stares. The attention made me extremely uncomfortable causing me shift my weight from foot to foot. 
 
Kai walked ahead and towards the VIP area that I had saw earlier. My brows furrowed slightly as I tried to reason why he was going there.
 
"Aren't you coming?" he called behind him.
 
A sigh escaped my lips. I knew if I followed I was going to gain attention but if I didn't I'd most likely end up eating alone. That was certainly something I was not comfortable with.
 
I hesitated a bit before once again following behind him. We both made it to the table and Kai nodded to a empty seat as to say "Sit there". I did exactly that and he sat adjacent from me.
 
"Who's this, Kai?" One of the many guys at the table asked.
 
"Ah, she's a new student here. Lee Soo Ji." He introduced me.
 
I was slightly shocked that he had remembered my name, seeing as the day after I had introduced myself it never came out of his mouth again.
 
"Ah, coffee girl!" Elf boy exclaimed.
 
Kai shot him a glare. Elf boy shrank down back into his seat.
 
"What are you doing here?" he asked afterwords,
 
"Most people would introduce themselves first before bombarding a person they just met with questions." an older guy at the table said.
 
"Let's just go around the table and introduce ourselves. " Doe boy suggested.
 
First was Elf boy. "Hi! I'm Chanyeol!" he smiled and waved. His childish antics seemed to contradict with his deep voice.
 
Next was Doe boy. "I'm Kyungsoo." he smiled. He seemed so squishy, I had resist the urge to pinch his cheeks.
 
Afterwords was none other than blondie. "I'm Sehun." he smiled. He seemed to have a bright personality despite his outward appearance.
 
The introductions continued around the table. Up next was the older boy who had suggested the introductions.
 
He smiled politely before introducing himself. "I'm Suho. Nice to meet you."
 
Lastly was a guy who seemed a bit older as well. "I'm Baekhyun~" he introduced while using the "V" sign.
 
A array of mixed reactions came from the table.
 
"Baekhyun,please."
 
"No, just no."
 
"Why?"
 
"I actually thought it was kind of cute." Chanyeol chimed in.
 
Laughter went around the table. Somehow they seemed to be extremely inviting. Watching their interactions through out lunch was intriguing.
 
"What classes do you have in the afternoon?" Kai asked, taking a bite out of his slice of pizza.
 
"Uhm.. " I rummaged through my bag and pulled out my time table. ".. History, Music, and Math."
 
"Oooh!" Chanyeol came from the side. "I have math last period too! I can take you there." 
 
"And I have History first period, too." Sehun chimed in. "I can take you there.
 
"Oh, wow! Thank you! But you guys don't have to , you know." I smiled at them.
 
"No, its fine. I'm sure they dont' mind. Right?" Kai turned to everyone and they nodded their heads. "See? Ah, also I'll take you to music. I have dance and its in the same building anyway."
 
"Ah, thanks everyone." I looked at them shyly. "You all are so kind."
 
"Its too bad you didn't get to meet EXO-M today. They're still in China." Baekhyun said.
 
"EXO-M?"
 
"Ah, yeah . They're our friends but they're from the China branch so they only visit. That's why there's so many chairs here." Suho pointed to the empty seats.
 
"Oh..." I nodded at him.
 
The lunch bell rang, signaling the beginning of afternoon classes. Surprisingly, Chanyeol, Sehun, and Kai kept their word and helped me find each classroom. Soon after school ended and my first day at school came to an end.
 
It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.
 
Kai
Home
 
Throughout summer I found myself returning to the cafe. Soon enough it'd become a habit of mine to walk in during the afternoon and to sit down with a warm cup of coffe and to read. The atmosphere of the cafe was inviting and the coffe was delicious but the thing that kept me going back was Soo Ji. Since the day I had met her my mind couldn't stop thinking of her. It would get to the point that if I didn't go a part of me would go insane and so I would return day and after day. Her smiling face brought back sanity and gave me comfort.
 
I had planned to continue on the tradition until during the last week of summer father came into my room.
 
"JongIn." he said coldly. "We need to talk. Come to my office."
 
I looked up from the book in my hands, sighing briefly as I put it away. I got up from my bed and lazily walked towards father's office.
 
"Sit down." he pointed to the chair infront of him. Obediantly I sat.
 
"I need you to come with me on a business trip this week." He stated.
 
"What? Why?" I asked.
 
"Its about time you start learning the ropes. You're going to take over the company someday, JongIn and you need to know what you're doing when you do." he explained.
 
"But I had plans." I whined .
 
"Cancel them." he told me. "This is more important than seeing your friends."
 
I opened my mouth to argue but closed it abruptly. Arguing with him would get me no where. He never listens anyway.
 
"Okay.." I looked down at the ground. "I'll go." 
 
"Good." 
 
I walked out of the room. We were leaving the next day so I began to pack my things.I couldn't help but feel a bit of emptiness. Knowing that I wouldn't see Soo Ji again. I doubt that she'd be there after summer break, seeing as students only work during the summer usually. 
 
Looks like it'll be good bye earlier than expected.
 
I woke up early the next day and father and I boarded the plane. I looked down throught the clouds taking in the cityscape that was Seoul.
 
I wonder.. Where you are. Who you're with. If only fate would bring us back together, I'd get to know you enough to know the answers.
 
 
 
Summer ended and I prepared myself for another school year. I woke up early and threw on my uniform. I desperately wanted to avoid the fangirls at school. Normally I wouldn't mind them but I was feeling a bit bitter today seeing as I never got a chance to say good bye to Soo Ji. 
 
I guess you'll remain a sweet memory.
 
I walked out the door and open the garage. Pressing the button of the remote on my key chain to unlock my car. I walked up to it thowing my backpack on the passenger side. I drove out of the drive away and around the fountain that stood in the middle of the courtyard and out the gates. Not forgetting to close both the garage and gates afterwords.
 
I drove up to the school and parked my car in the underground parking lot. As I walked back up to the surface I noticed a figure of a girl by the gates. She was wearing a sweater and a skirt and a scarf was wrapped loosely around her neck. Her silouhette seemed oddly familar. My eyes locked on to her as I watched her movements. 
 
At first she walked into the courtyard but not without stopping at the front of the gate to examine her surroundings. Then she made her way to the middle towards the fountain. I walked slowly behind her. It seemed that my presence had gone unnoticed. I caught a glimpse of her face she turned to sit on the nearby bench.
 
Walking forward a bit more her facial features registered inside my head.
 
Soo Ji? 
 
Was my mind playing tricks on me. I squinted as I leaned forward. Without a shred of doubt it was Soo Ji. Unconciously a smile spread across my face as I saw her enjoy her food deliciously. With each bite she smiled in pleasure. It was a cute sight to watch how much she truly enjoyed the simplist of things.
 
After she finished her food she walked towards the main building. Following right behind her I saw her enter the "Newcommer's" room. At first I waited outside the room, trying to peek in everyonce in awhile to see if she'd come out. Eventually I decided to wait somewhere else and headed towards the opposite side of the building towards the lounge. As soon as I was halfway down the hallway I heard the "click clacking" of shoes down the oppsosite hall. I turned around and saw Soo Ji looking down at a piece of paper. She wandered down the hall unsure of where she was going like a lost puppy. My instincts came out and I started to walk towards her to help her finds her locker. But before I could get the chance I was tapped on the shoulder. I turned around to see Kyungsoo smiling brightly behind me.
 
"Good morning!' he smiled.
 
"Ah, good morning." I replied looking towards the stairwell that Soo Ji's figure disappeared to.
 
"What are you doing here so early?" he asked me.
 
"I could ask you the same things." I retorted.
 
"Touche." he joked.
 
"Ah!! Oppa!" a voice called.
 
"Omo! Its Kyungsoo and Kai oppa!' another came.
 
Great.
 
"Well, I got to go!" Kyungsoo smiled before running off. Leaving me alone with the incoming fangirls.
 
"Omo! Oppa~ You look so good today!"
 
"AH, I missed oppa so much! Are you well?"
 
"Ah, yeah.." I looked around me trying to find an escape from the huddle of girls around me.
 
After what seemed like eternity the school bell rang signalling the start of the day.
 
"Ah, we should go! Bye~"
 
"See ya~"
 
They started to file out and headed towards their homerooms.
 
Finally.
 
I looked at the stairwell and began to walk towards it. As a reached the top I expected to see Soo Ji but to my dismay she was no where in sight. I sighed a bit as I opened my locker and got out my books for the day.
The lunch bell rang and I hurried to get to the cafeteria.
 
I'm starving. My stomach growled.
 
Upon entering the cafeteria I noticed a lack of bodies but one in particular caught my attention. I walked up behind her and lowered my head by her ear.
 
"The speghetti . Trust me. I've tried everything on the menu." I spoke by her ear. I left my head lingering for a few extra moments.
 
Hesitantly she turned around to meet my gaze, her eyes widening a bit.
 
Her widened gaze fell back to normal as a smirk formed on her face. "I don't doubt you. It seems trying everything is a bit of a habit of yours."
 
"That's how I know what's good. Here." I picked up a tray and placed some food on it.
 
I looked back and saw her looking at me with that same lost puppy dog look on her face. Hesitantly she followed after me picking up a tray.
 
I glanced down back at her and saw that she had picked up the same items. I couldn't help but smirk at her behaviour.
 
She really is like a puppy. Even following my commands and mimicking my movements.
 
"What?" she asked me, her eyes narrowing a bit.
 
"Nothing..." I continued to smirk.Her actions were just too cute.
 
I walked up to the counter and smiled at the cafeteria lady. "I'll pay for both" I said as I heard the tapping of Soo Ji's shoes behind me. 
 
"Ah, no its okay, I'll pay for mine." she looked up at me. Turning to the lady she said. "I'll pay."
 
My eyebrows went up a bit at her response.Is she really refusing my offer. 
 
"Are you refusing my offer?"
 
"And what if I am?" she asked me.
 
I couldn't help laughing at her. Her snide comments sure kept the conversation interesting.
 
"I've never had some one do that before." I answered her.
 
"Well, there's a fist time for everything." she said paying for her food.
 
I did the same and made my way to the table. I turned around to see Soo Ji still standing at the counter.
 
She really is like a puppy. 
 
"Aren't you coming?" I called behind me.
 
She followed after me and joined everyone at the table. I nodded at an empty seat for her to sit at and introduced her to the guys. They went around the table introducing themselves. Curiosity got the best of me as I turned to Soo Ji and asked her what classes she had after lunch. Upon hearing music I decided in my head that I'd be the one to bring her there.
 
It seemed that I wasn't the only one with the intention of showing Soo Ji around because Chanyeol , Sehun, and Baekhyun all volunteered to take her to her other classes. However the spot to go the music class was still open and I took the moment to jump on it.
 
Soon lunch ended and we headed to first period. Soo Ji went with Sehun to got to history. A spark of jelousy over came me as I saw them leave together. 
 
"I'll meet you at your class after first period. Wait for me there!" I called.
 
"Okay!" she called back.
 
 
First period ended and I rushed to get to the history classroom. It was a long way to walk but as soon as I saw Soo Ji's smile as she saw me coming it made the long commute worth it.
 
"How was class?" I asked, smiling at her.
 
"Ehhh.." she started.
 
"Boring, huh?" I inferred. "Can't blame you."
 
"Haha I take it your noot a fan either." she looked up at me.
 
"Not exactly." I smiled at her.
 
Suddenly the hallways became crowded and I placed a reassuring and at the small of her back,guiding her through the hall.
 
From the corner of my eye I could see the faint shade of pink appear on her cheeks.
 
Finally we reached the music room and I patted her head before sending her off.
 
"If you need me I'll be right across the hall." I smiled at her and pointed to the pararell room.
 
"Ah, okay." she smiled back and entered the room.
 
I smiled a bit to myself as I turned around and walked towards the dance studio.
 
Maybe it it was fate after all.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
 
Author's Note:
 
Hi guys! Sorry this took a while to get out but I was so busy during the week! So much homework.... Anyways the story finally begins! Aren't you guys glad! Ahhhh, this took so long to write! I hope you guys liked it! ^^Also, thank you all for 300+ views! I never thought that many people would be interested (even remotely) in my story! ^^As a thank you I presented to you cutie Sehun and Baekhyun as the main image and here I give you asdfghjkl; Baekhyun. Enjoy~