On A Summer's Eve

Until The Clock Strikes

Soo Ji

Cafe et Amour

 

"Ah.." I let out an exasperated sigh, my hands supporting my head, susppending it above the front counter. Its been a slow day at work and I've been standing at the counter without a single customer entering for about 2 hours. It was odd, usually the cafe was bussling and I'd struggle to keep up with all the orders. You'd think with a job like this I'd be happy to have some time to myself, which is true but spending it here was far from what I call enjoyable. 

I titled my head to the side to get a view out of the glass door. A familiar silhouette approaching the frame. The door yanked open and the chimes above sang. 

"Soo Ji-ah~" The familiar voice called.

Instantly a smile spread across my face.

"Annyeong, Mi Rae-ah!" I called back. 

Mi Rae made her way up to the counter. Her figure illuminated by the sunlight that shone through the window. I turned around and started to make her usual, a mocha latte.

" Soo Ji-ah! Did you hear?" she exclaimed leaning her body forward against the counter.

"Hear what?" I handed her her cup, she grabbed it excitedly.

"From the school! The school you applied for the scholarship for! Empire High!" she exclaimed her eyes widening from her excitement.

"Ah, that. No, not yet. They said they're not releasing the results until the end of summer." I looked down at my finger nails examining them.

Mi Rae moved her drink away from her lips and pouted.

"Aww, I really wanted to know if you got it." she whined.

"You sound more interested about this than me." I chuckled.

"Well, sor-ree!" she puffed her cheeks slightly "I just-" her sentence was cut off by the chime of the bell.

I turned towards the door, "Ah! Annyeon-" 

In came in 3 boys. One was tall will ears that reminded me of an elve's, the other quite a bit shorter with big doe eyes, the last one also tall but with black hair. He gave off an alluring aura that was impossible to ignore. My eyes were instantly drawn to him, watching his fluid movements intently. 

"What is it?" Mi Rae questioned. "Oh my..." her voice trailed off once she saw those behind her.

Elf and doe boy walked towards the back of the cafe to find a table.

"Kai, order for us!" the shorter one called back.

A small sigh escaped from the boy's luscious lips as he ran his fingers briefly through his hair.

"Alright." he replied simply as he began to walk towards me.

"Ah! I'll get out your way!" Mi Rae picked up her cup and scootched over.

"Uh, What can I get for you?"

Oh, geez what was that Soo Ji? You sounded so lame. That's a great first impression to give.  I scolded myself internally.

" Uh, yeah." He looked up at the menu above. "One caramel mochiatto, pepermint mocha, and americano." He looked down back at me.

I typed the order into the cash register. My fingers trembling a bit under his gaze. I glanced up slightly.

"That'd be $15.75"  I told him

Reaching into his back pocket he pulled out a leather wallet. It seemed to be bursting at the seams filled with cards and cash.

How does he have all of those. He looks around my age. How is that even possible? I pondered.

Swiftly, he pulled out a gold card and swiped it through the machine. The bill spat out shortly after, I handed it to him.

As I passed it to him our fingers grazed.

deugeum deugeum

I ignored the sound and quickly drew my hand back. The boy stayed in his spot his eyes resting lazily in the corner.

"Uhmmm. I'll bring it to you. You can go sit down." I informed him.

"Oh, cool." He made his way back to his friends.

Even from behind the aura was strong, his figure was one that was impossible to not look at. Well toned arms, a tall frame, shiny locks, it all looked perfect.

I glanced at Mi Rae, a huge grin on her face. I could tell that she wanted to say something badly. Even so she stayed there grining at me like a fool not a single word escaping her lips. I turned around and started to make the drinks, Mi Rae's stare on my back.

"Just say whatever it is you want to say." I spat slightly annoyed by her behaviour.

"Hmm. Later." she replied in a quiet voice.

I finished up the drinks and placed them on the tray then made my way towards the group of boys.

As I approached them I could hear parts of their conversation.

"... The stocks are decreasing. Why would you buy them." Doe boy asked.

"Buy low sell high, of course." Elf boy replied.

What kind of teenagers talk about stocks. 

I continued walking towards them.

"Kai~" Elf boy snapped his fingers in front of Mister Handsome. "Hey! Kai!"

Kai seemingly awoke from his day dream. 

"So, as I was saying..." Doe boy continued.

deugeum degeum

No. Stop it. Why are you so nervouse Soo Ji?

Finally, I reached the group. Quickly I placed down the drinks on the table.

"Thank you~" Elf boy chimed.

"Thanks." Doe boy smiled.

Mister Handsome just nodded his head in thanks. I smiled politely and returned to the counter where Mi Rae was still standing, that goofy smile still plastered to her face.

"What?" I asked. Placing the tray behind the counter.

"Nothing~" was her answer.

I sighed at her response and rolled my eyes.  Time passed and Mi Rae and I discussed our plans for the summer. Well, more like her plans for the summer. All I was going to do was work and go home for the next two months. In the middle of Mi Rae explaining her upcoming vacation to Hawaii the group of boys headed towards the door.

"Thank you for coming!" I smiled as they left.

Once I turned back to Mi Rae her smile was back.

"Are you going to tell me or not!" now I couldn't help but be annoyed at her childish antics.

" You think he's cute, don't you" Mi Rae teased.

" What? Who?" I looked at her quizzically.

"You know. The tall one with black hair! Mister Handsome!" Her smile widened. Something I didn't think was possible.

"Mi Rae, you know me. I don't think of things like that. " I retorted.

"But not with him~ You were pratically gawking at him the entire time!" she argued.

" I did not!" I exclaimed.

"Oh, sure you didn't~" she smiled and picked up her drink before walking out the door. Leaving me alone in the shop.

"She really...." I started. 

Even though I denied it I couldn't help wondering if Mister Handsome would come back.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note:

Well, that was chapter one! ^^ I hope you guys enjoyed it! If you did leave a comment I would love to hear your thoughts!