Congratulations!

Supa Luv

 

I ran into my house and grabbed the mail.

“Where is it where is it where is it,” I asked and looked through the envelopes. “FOUND IT!” I flipped it around and started opening it up. I finally got the letter out and skipped to the second paragraph.

Congratulations! You have been chosen to be the American Foreign Exchange Student for our program! You will be going to Seoul, South Korea and staying with Seung Hyun Park and his family. I squeezed the letter happily. I'm going to Seoul~! I'm going to Seoul~!

I was about to yell for my mom and dad, but I remembered that they went to a dinner and wouldn’t be back until late.

You will be going to Seoul when your current school’s semester ends. Enclosed with this letter is your ticket and information about your new school and family.

I took out the other papers and the ticket.

They look nice, I thought as I looked at their family picture. Seung Hyun was standing behind his wife, Eun Hee, and their son, Kwang Dae. They had been in the foreign exchange student program for years, and both of my new parents were doctors in their forties. Kwang Dae was twenty and was going to an art school in Japan.

I looked at my ticket. The plane left Saturday morning. As in, TOMORROW.

“Damn it,” I muttered.

That didn’t give me any time to be with my friends for one last time because I needed to pack. I dragged my backpack into my room and threw it on my bed.

“Uhhng,” I groaned. I didn’t want to do this. I wanted to be with my friends! Why did everyone have to be busy on my last full day in America? I sighed again and plugged my headphones into my iPod. Listening to kpop will help me remember why I learned Korean and signed up for this program.

“Hello? Hello? Do you know meh? This is Morduney present,” I said and picked up the dirty clothes off my floor. What I couldn’t fit in my hands I kicked into the laundry room. “Shikk – oh wait too early. . . SHIKKEUREO!”

I put in the load and poured in the detergent then went to get suitcases.I pulled them into my room and before filling them with what was in my closet; I set aside an outfit for tomorrow and pajamas. I was going slow, and actually folding the clothes instead of throwing them in the suitcase.

I got that supa luv~

I screamed. My favorite song by my bias group.

Wait. Why should I be sad right now? I’ll see my friends this summer! And TEEN FREAKING TOP is in SEOUL. YES! Wait. . . Again. I never looked at the stuff about my school. I ran back and got the papers.

Heungjin High School, the paper said. Why did that sound so familiar? Hmm. . .

Niel. THAT WAS WHERE NIEL WENT FOR HIS SECOND YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL.

I started fangirling.

I can’t believe it! I’m going to the school that a Teen Top member went to! What if they go there!? I started jumping up and down happily. What if Ricky was there!?! I grinned thinking about that.

Okay, now I HAD to pack! I folded the clothes faster and stuck them in two suitcases. I checked the laundry and it finished so I put it in the dryer. I went into the garage and got a Mountain Dew then headed into the kitchen and made some soup for myself.

“Callie, we’re home!” I heard as I slurped some noodles.

I swallowed and ran to the door then yelled, “I’m going to Seoul! I got chosen!”

“What?” My mom asked.

I got the papers and showed them to her and Dad. I went back to eating and my mom walked in the kitchen.

“So you’re going to be gone until summer?”

“Mhm!” I replied and took a drink of soda.

“Where are you leaving?” she asked.

“Ooh! One second!” I got up and brought the ticket.

She looked at it. “Tomorrow??”

“Yep! And I’m almost packed, so don’t worry! You’ll just need to take my books back to school.”

“Why are you leaving so soon though?”

“The new semester at Heungjin starts next week so I have to be there by then.”

“Well can’t you stay longer? What about your friends, aren’t you going to say bye to them?”

“Of course, since I can’t do it in person I’ll make a video for everyone and put it on Facebook. I’ll do that right now actually!” I got up and put my bowl in the sink then went in my room.

I made sure I looked decent, and then pressed record on my camera.

“Hi guys, so I wanted to tell you this in person but I can’t because I just got the news today. Uhm, how to put this. . . Well you know that foreign exchange student program I applied for? I got chosen. WOO! I wish I could hang out with all of you one last time, but my plane leaves tomorrow morning and I won’t be back until the summer. . .” I blinked a few times. “Alright, so I’ll see you guys when I get back. Bye!” I stopped the recording and uploaded it. Right after it was posted I logged off and got my dry clothes out and into a suitcase.

When I was finished packing, I took a shower and said good night to my parents – for the last time in person for a while . . . tear – and went to sleep.