Week 1 - Day 6 (Continued)

Three Months

September 21, 2013 (Continued)

 

I drop the bags on the floor, rush to my bed, and peacefully moan when the feeling of easiness washed over me. We went shopping, more like I let her dress me up, for six hours straight. I’ve never felt so tortured. I’ve never felt so anything so much in my life. It’s only been two days with the Kims and they’ve already changed me. I was so reckless and carefree, never felt embarrassed before. But all it took was a glance from him and it happened. It was so unexpected. I never would’ve thought that I would be placed in the same house with a boy. I never would’ve thought that I could even be embarrassed. I even took selfies with a homeless, old man in public before, only to get twenty dollars as a reward but the point is that there was something about this family.

 

I was told that I would start school this coming up Monday, that my uniform was already in my closet and my schedule was already made and blah blah blah; the point is that I’ll be going to school. Another thing that I hated: school. It’s not that I don’t make good grades, or I’m being bullied, or the teachers don’t like me, it’s the opposite actually. I get really good grades, I’m friends with everybody, and the teachers love me. I’m not scared about going to a new school, either. It’s just that school is the most boring thing ever and it makes me lose sleep over crap that I shouldn’t care about.

 

I wake up hours later and take a hot, relaxing shower. Apparently, Jongin’s room was across from mine. I silently pray that he doesn’t walk out the same time as I do before I open the door. I was really hungry and it was thirty past midnight, no one should be awake, right? I stroll into the kitchen and grab some spicy ramen, which I didn’t expect to be there, from the cabinet. I followed its specific, not really, instructions. I thought about what Nana said while stirring the noodles.

 

“What you said earlier, about Jongin… is it true? That he changed for an unknown reason?” I ask, slurping up the remains of my Mocha Cookie Crumble.

She comes to a stop, making me turn around. She had a sad visage and I suddenly regret my decision but I wanted to know. I guess I’m pretty stubborn.

 

“… Yes. Jongin… he became cold. He started to play around with girls,” – usually, parents don’t know that – “he began to become more distant and he lived life recklessly; going to clubs with fake i.ds, partying all night, coming home in the mornings and having hangovers. I don’t know if he knows that I know, but I do and I hate seeing him like this. He was such a good boy. But something happened that summer that changed him completely.”

 

That summer, the summer of 2011. That was the best summer of my life. I remember it very clearly. I won front row and backstage tickets to SHINee’s concert, I got my first iPhone, ten guys asked me out, and I met my best friend. Wait… my best friend. Oh . I forgot to call her! I abandoned my ramen and rush to my room, frantically searching for my phone in the dark. I found my phone and notice that I had fifteen missed calls and thirty-seven unread text messages. How could I not notice? I had my phone on me the whole freaking day! I my phone, typed in my password, and immediately call her. She wasn’t the type of person that would go to sleep until one in the morning anyway.

 

“Myung Hee-”

 

“Nope. Shut up. Why haven’t you called me? Do you know that I stayed up all night last night, waiting for you to call me? All I ate was ramen, Mi Hyun. Ramen! You didn’t even tell me where you’re going! You didn’t tell me how long either. It was just, and I quote, ‘Parents are leaving for a business trip again.’ That doesn’t tell me !”

 

Yep. This was my best friend, Myung Hee. She’s like my other half. We fight but never stay mad at each other for over five minutes because like I said, why stay caught up in the moment? If I could describe her, it would be that she wasn’t like this at all when I met her, but I guess that’s not descriptive.

 

 She was an obedient, innocent girl when I met her; with medium, straight, black licorice hair, not to mention very girly. I despised her at first. But we met each other so often that summer, she’s basically clinging on to me the third time we met. And you know, I acted like myself around her, which I was a crazy, fun, profanity using girl. I suppose she caught whatever I had and changed. She now has layered, light brown hair, she’s still girly in some areas, and she used profanity a lot more than she did. Did I forget to mention she’s completely into romance? Books, fan fictions, dramas, everything. She’s so caught up in the romance world, always talking about how she couldn’t wait until she meets “the one”.

 

“Myung Hee, chill. I’m over at the Seoul, the wealthy part of town that has a bunch of mansions. I’m gonna be staying for three months,” – I could see Myung Hee’s shocked face right now – “and did you forget that I’m very forgetful?” It’s true. If you tell me to do something and I don’t do it within five minutes, I’d totally forget. “Look, I’m sorry I forgot to call you. Please forgive me, Myung Hee.” – I pause. Should I tell her about Jongin? – “And Myung Hee, they don’t have girls this time. They have a boy.” She gasps and I close my eyes. Now I have to tell her about it.

 

I grab my hot ramen and rush upstairs to my room, careful not to spill. I close my door and turn on the lights. I place the spicy ramen on my desk and I sit down on the desk chair.

 

“Tell me everything! How old is he?”

 

“Seventeen.”

 

 “Omo! Is he hot?”

 

Yes

 

“No. He’s ugly. He’s a cold hearted jerk who parties all night and makes his mom cry in the morning,” I hiss. “He’s not the guy in your little fairytale stories. He plays around with girls and gets drunk. He treats his mother coldly and do you know what I hate the most about him?” I could see her at the edge of her seat. “He was in my bed, hugging me, while I was sleeping.” I remove the phone from my ear before I become deaf because of her blood-curling scream.

 

“What’s going on?” I heard her father jump into the conversation?

 

 “Nothing, dad, I’m just talking with Mi Hyun,” she hushes him and I heard the door close. “He slept with you?” she asks in a hushed whisper. I nod but then I noticed that she can’t hear me and I answered yes. “He does seem like a jerk by the way you’re describing him,” her tone became serious. “That’s stupid. Why would he make his mom cry?” – I stuff my mouth with ramen – “What’s his name?”

 

“Honghin,” I say with a full mouth.

 

“Honghin?”

 

I swallow my ramen, “Jongin. His name is Kim Jongin. At first, I thought that this was going to be the best family yet, but then he showed up. Anyway, it’s really late now. You have that thingy with your mom tomorrow right? I’ll call you in the afternoon.”

 

“Okay. Good night, Mi Hyun,” she says in a disappointed and tired voice. This is way too late for her – two thirty in the morning.

 

“Night, Myung Hee.” 

 

(A/N): Boring chapter, I guess. Do you guys like it so far?