Week 1 - Day 5

Three Months

September 20, 2013

 

How could this happen again?

 

I swore, to myself and to my parents that I would never stay with one of their “close” friends ever again. They always had business trips coming up and since I was underage, if seventeen meant I was underage, they would leave me at some stranger’s house until they came back. Apparently, all of their friends were so preppy. Every place I had to stay, my parent’s friends had children, which were all girls, and those girls were so preppy and innocent and ughh; I wanted to die. Not a single thing would go by without them noticing it. Oh, those shorts are too short. Oh, proper ladies don’t listen to rap. Oh, you should eat with proper manners. Every second was hell. I almost fainted when one of the girls dragged me into Justice; there was so much glitter and sparkles, I have no idea how I even survived.

 

And now here I was again, sitting in the back seat of my parent’s black Sedan, on the way to their “closest” friend’s house. This time, I had to stay for three months; I even had to transfer schools. How ridiculous; they barely had any time for me, not that I needed more of their loving. They always tried to shower me with gifts that I didn’t want because they were always too cute and girly for me, like they don’t even know who I was at all. I’m the jeans and combat boots kind of girl; the one that absolutely has to have her phone and ear buds with her at all times; the one that has to have a Starbucks drink in her hands at least once a day; the one that YOLOs at every given moment.

 

The car comes to a stop and I get knocked out of my trance, my jaw immediately hanging open. It wasn’t a house like I was expecting. No, it was a freaking mansion. I numbly slap my face to make sure if this was real or not. This wasn’t because the place was so enormous and exquisite, it was because that fact that it was so enormous and exquisite that the people that live there must be ten times preppier. I let out a loud groan and my parents turn their heads to look at me with their big smiles.

 

“Isn’t this great, Mi Hyun? The couple that lives there were our best friends,” – my mother and my father share a loving gaze – “and they brought me and your father together.” She looks back at me, “You should feel honored to live here.” My eyes soften. I guess it shouldn’t matter if they’re preppy this time; these people were the ones that brought my parents together.

 

“Now I do,” I smile. I open my mouth to ask my mother a question but there was a tap on the window making me jump and yelp in surprise.

 

It was a middle-aged woman, probably the same age as my mother, and she looked at me with apologetic eyes. My father opened his door and enveloped her into a hug.

 

“Nana! It’s been so long!” He says in his booming voice, great for lectures and such. “I’m so glad that you decided to take in our daughter for three months,” my father says as he releases her and my mom gets out of the car. The lady, Nana was her name, was joined by a fellow that looked the same age as my dad. I guess that the stranger couples in front of me were my parent’s friends.

 

“Oh, of course! I always wanted to have a daughter! I hope you don’t mind if I borrowed her for a few,” she smiles at me. She has a beautiful smile – I noted – showing her white, pearly teeth. Wait, she always wanted a daughter? Does that mean she doesn’t have one? “Aigoo, you’ve grown so much Mi Hyun. You’ve become such a beautiful, young lady,” she says to me. How does she know my name?

 

“Thank you, Mrs…” I trail off, not knowing what to call her.

 

“Nana. Kim Nana,” she states. I smile at her and bow respectfully. “Why don’t you go inside and explore a little. The maids will get your things,” she offers. I look at my parents for consent and they nod. I barely made my way into the large mansion safely, thinking how she wasn’t as preppy as I thought she was. The man next to her examined me the whole entire time I was out there and I felt like my legs were losing their senses under his intense gaze. He didn’t seem to examine me for his own preferences, but maybe to see if I was worthy enough to live under his roof.

 

I felt like I couldn’t go anywhere without thinking I should ask for their permission first. This wasn’t like me at all. In all of the other places I went to, I would be running around the house, yelling something about how pink is a stupid color or whatever. Usually, I would make a plan to ruin the owner’s and the daughter’s life by now, but this time, I really want to get on their good side for some reason. Maybe it was because they were my parent’s best friends. Heck, they even remind me of them.

 

I felt like giving up until the front door closes behind me, making me jump again. I turn around and Mrs. Kim immediately runs to my and apologizes, saying that she didn’t mean to. I chuckle awkwardly and say that it’s okay. Mr. Kim nodded at me, I guess approving my presence, and wraps a hand around Mrs. Kim’s shoulders.

 

“So Mi Hyun,” he starts, “I hear you’re a trouble maker.” My lips automatically curl up my nickname. “You’re lucky that Nana here” – he looks at her – “is one too. But don’t think that you’ll get away with everything.” His eyes refocus on me, accusingly and threateningly. I gulp down my spit and slowly nod. Well, that wasn’t scary. 

 

--

 

Turns out that the Kims weren’t preppy at all. Mr. Kim is just like a regular guy that hollers for sports and Mrs. Kim is the type that loves shopping, cooking, and Starbucks. It only took for Mrs. Kim to say that she loves Starbucks for me to love her. Anyone who loves Starbucks is my friend. Actually, I consider everyone as my friend. I couldn’t stand to hate or be angry at someone for over five minutes. Optimistic? Nope. I’m more pessimistic and I live life with no regrets so what’s the point to be stuck in the moment?

 

The day went on and everyone completely forgot to show me to my room. Hey, we were having too much fun. Mrs. Kim asked if I wanted to help make dinner and I hesitantly said yes. I didn’t like to cook, it was too much work. But it turned out to be really fun, and tasty, and probably worth it later. It wasn’t until eight o’clock when we were finished that Mrs. Kim gasped loudly, making me jump once again, and let out a cry, “I didn’t show you to your room yet.”

 

I couldn’t believe it.

 

The room fitted me perfectly. It was white, black, and light blue like the sky. There was a flat-screen TV; a desk with a computer next to audio speakers; a queen sized bed with plain, white comforters and pillows; and a big window, giving me a clear view of the world below. It wasn’t until I walked half way into the room did I noticed there was also a bathroom. I walked inside, eyes widened and mouth hanging. The bathroom was half the size of the actual room, with a bathtub – more like mini Jacuzzi – a clear, glass shower, tiled floors, and a huge mirror. I feel faint. How could this come to be? Were the other preppy families just a cover up for the big surprise?

 

I took a long, steamy shower. My pj’s only consisted of baggy t-shirts and shorts that hide themselves under the baggy t-shirts. Maybe I should’ve brought longer shorts, I thought as I blow dry my hair. Dinner was the best thing ever. I couldn’t believe that I made something so tasty, with the help of Mrs. Kim of course. I recklessly throw myself onto the most comfortable bed I’ve ever laid on and hug the sheets. This is going to be the best three months ever.

 

(A/N): Hey guys! So the first chapter is kind of boring but it's basically an intro chapter so i will double update! Yay! But in like... 8 hours? Sorryy I have to go to school!