Chapter 03

Guardian Angel

The next day in school, Seung Ri was following me around in every class. He doesn't really talk to me, he was just following me. I felt like I was being stalked. I wanted to ask WHY he was following me around. But then I couldn't talk to him, people would think that I'm talking to myself.

"Did you remember that you're having a math test today?" Seung Ri asked me when we were in the library reading a book during lunch period. He was reading some myth book and I was reading some fiction book.

But once I heard "math test" my head sprang up and I looked at him with wide eyes. At first I looked around to see if anyone was around but then, who comes to the library during their lunch period anyways? Everybody goes outside to buy food or hang out. Although, only one librarian was in here but she's sleeping.

So I'm guessing it's safe to speak.

"WHAT?!" I whispered loudly.

"You weren't paying attention weren't you?"

"Did the teacher just announced it yesterday?"

"Yeah, she said it like 3 times. Where were you?"

I tried to have a flashback, but then I didn't even know what was going in the class because I was freaking out that I could see Seung Ri and nobody else... IT'S HIS FAULT!!!

"It's your fault that I wasn't able to pay attention yesterday! You appeared out of no where!" I yelled at him quietly, trying to not wake up the librarian who was silent snoring away.

He gave a loud sigh and went back into the book he was reading. I took my bag under the table and opened it, I quickly took out my notebook for math and opened it up. Before I could even read what was going to be on the test one of my classmate yelled out my name.

"Sun Mi!! Do you have the project ready for me?"

I looked up and saw her leaning on the table. I opened my bag again and gave her 6 papers.

"Can you also do me a favor and give these to other people too?" I asked.

"Sure thing! Thank you so much you saved my life!" She grabbed the papers and ran out to catch up with her friends who were waiting outside of the door.

"You really don't have any friends beside me right?" Seung Ri smirked.

I didn't respond to him and looked at my notebook again. The only that said on it was cumulative test on Thursday.

WHAT?! THIS CAN'T BE IT!! That means it's on everything we've learned so far! OH NO!!!

I rubbed both of my eyes and leaned back on the chair. I closed my book and said "That's it. I'm going to fail this test. Whatever." I put the book back in my bag.

Seung Ri looked at me when I spoke, but didn't say anything. He was just reading the book the whole time.

"You're such a nerd, why are you reading still?" I asked.

"This book is good. Don't disturb me please." He said.

"Wait, how come you're following me in every class?" I finally had the opportunity to ask.

"Since you're the only one who can see me, if I have something on my mind I'll just tell you. I don't want to keep things to myself anymore. Having no one that you can't talk to is really lonely and it frustrates me when no one can hear me or see me. It's been like that for 5 years for me. I hope you understand." He said still gluing his eyes in the book.

I nodded and looked down at the table. Then I checked the clock that was on the wall, ticking and ticking the silence away. I realized that the period was going to end in 15 seconds.

Once I got into math class, Seung Ri was sitting at the same spot he sat yesterday. Well you know, Dae Sung has no one that sits next to him anyways.

"Alright, we're going to start the test right now. Please clear you desk and only have a pencil on your table. NO PENS. Flip the paper over when you're done so I can collect it." The teacher said.

The teacher then started to hand out the tests, but once she got to me she gave me a glare. What a nice teacher.

I flipped the test paper and my mind went black. I know I said that math is pretty easy, but once it comes to cumulative tests, I forget a lot of things. I read the first question, I tried to do it but I couldn't figure it out. Although the only good thing is that it's a multiple choice test, but I had to show work as well to get a full score.

"It's choice B for number one." Seung Ri said.

I looked up at him and saw him looking at Dae Sung's paper.

"Trust me it's choice B, hey I'm pretty good at math okay? I was just doing it in my head and I checked at Dae Sung's answer, he's a smart kid you know."

I shook my head and tried to focus back on the test.

I wrote really small on my paper "I don't want to cheat."

Seung Ri read it and smiled at me.

"Just believe me this once. Actually just cheat just this once, it won't kill you. I promise that in the future I will remind you if there is a test ahead of time. Deal?"

I agreed to it, I trust him.

"Okay so the first answer is B."

I circled B, but then I erased where I wrote "I don't want to cheat." And then I wrote "I need to show work."

He got up from his seat and stood next to me.

I erased what I wrote so that the teacher doesn't become suspicious when she looks over my shoulder.

"Just grab the pencil and pretend you're writing." I grabbed the pencil and he placed his hand on it too... although he can touch the pencil but he couldn't touch my hand. I wanted to feel his hand so bad but I couldn't. It was invisible when it was on my hand, but you could see his finger on the pencil.

It really did look like I was writing but it was all Seung Ri writing for me. The teacher passed me, I thought she'd look over my shoulder but she didn't. Then Hwayobi raised her hand.

"Can I get my jacket? I'm getting kind of cold."

It must be Seung Ri I thought. He was standing between me and Hwayobi. I already had goosebumps but then I learned to just up the coldness.

"No, but if you finish your test then you can go get it."

"Okay." She said.

About ten minutes passed by and I was done already.

"Flip the paper over." He told me.

I did what he told me.

"Well you're done early." My teacher took the paper off my table. I decided to rest my head on the table.

School flew by and it was finally after school.

"Sun Mi, remember that you're going to my mom's house today?"

"Yeah."

"Good, because I want to see my mom again today hehe." He said.

I smiled at him.

Like yesterday, I followed him to the bus stop and he would go inside and I would have to pay. Then once we go to the house I rang the door bell.

"Soo Young!!!! Come in, come in!" She took me inside while Seung Ri followed in.

"Are you hungry? I have cookies." She let me sit in the dining table.

"Sure." I said.

Then she came out from the kitchen with a plate full of cookies.

"You baked them?" I asked.

"Yes I did, Seung Ri loves to eat my home made cookies." She said with a weak smile.

"Sun Mi, tell her to pack those. I want to eat them when we get out!" Seung Ri nudge me.

"Can you... pack them for me, I would like to save it for my family to try it. It's really delicious."

"Oh, how sweet of you! I'll pack them for you right now."

She got up and head back to the kitchen again. I glared at Seung Ri and he was smiling like a little kid already.

His mom came back out and put the plastic bag on the table. She grabbed a chair next to mine and started to hold my hand like a mother.

"Wow, I can already that you're such a good girl. Did you know that Seung Ri liked you?"

"Say no." Seung Ri said.

"No, I didn't." I said.

"Aw, that little boy never reveals anything does he?" She laughed.

"You know, they still haven't found his body yet." She said.

"His body? Then how did you know he died?"

"These murderers called me, and said your son is dead. Then we called the police to trace the call, the murderers called me through Seung Ri's cell phone, but his phone was dead. The police found who killed him. But the people who killed him wouldn't reveal where he placed Seung Ri's body. Till this day they never revealed it. They were threaten, beatned and even worst than that, they still didn't reveal anything. All they could tell us is that he's dead."

"Did the murderers ever tell you how he did or even why they murdered him in the first place?"

She shook her head.

"That's what makes me mad the most. They don't say anything. They don't tell me anything."

I looked at Seung Ri, hoping he could tell me what happened. He shook his head as well.

"I think I'm going to go. Thanks for having me over." I said getting up from the chair, grabbing the plastic bag and heading towards the door.

"Well, please if you have time Soo Young, visit me again." She said.

As I headed out and she closed the door behind me, I immediately turned to Seung Ri.

"You got some explaining to do. Tell me how you died."

"Oh yeah here's the cookies." I handed him the plastic bag. He took it from my hands and opened the box in the plastic bag.

"Ghosts can eat too?!"

"Yeah, you didn't know?"

I was surprised.

"So tell me, how did you die?"

"Let's sit in this park." He told me.

When we sat on the bench together, he asked me for a water bottle to clear his throat from the cookies he gobbled down.

I gave him my water bottle and he drank it.

I was already prepared to listen to him, my ears are ready for the words to flow in.