Chapter 02

Guardian Angel

"Sun Mi? That's cute. My name is Seung Ri." He smiled again.

I kept on staring at him, he was staring straight at me as well.

I couldn't opened my mouth, because if I did, people would look at me and think that I'm crazy. They'd think that I'm talking to myself. Since obviously nobody "sees" him but me! So I didn't know what to do. I just sat there looking at him, examining his facial features.

His skin was very pure, smooth, no pimples or anything. I really wanted to touch his face. But it'd be awkward, REALLY awkward.

"So Sun Mi, is this your first time seeing a ghost?"

I nodded slowly after he asked me that.

"What are you doing?" Dae Sung whispered to me.

I turned to him and gave him a quick smile. "Oh nothing, nothing. Don't mind me today please."

He didn't make any expressions but focused back on the board.

I sighed and leaned over the table, when I realized that Seung Ri's hand was on my notebook. I didn't jump but my heart did... well it seemed like my heart jumped.

I looked up at him and he was looking down at his feet.

"Since you can see me... can you help me?"

I was confused. This couldn't be real. This really couldn't, me helping a ghost?! I'm more terrified right now. But he's not a scary looking ghost though. He seems really sweet and good looking too...

I gulped and tried to figure out how to respond to him without speaking. I touched my pen and looked at it. Ding! A light bulb in my head!

I slowly wrote on my paper "help with what?" I looked up and pointed the words with my index finger lying flat on the paper.

He his lips to get rid of the dryness and said "I'll tell you later." And suddenly he disappeared.. out of thin air again.

I looked around the classroom, behind me, in front of me, left, right I couldn't spot him anywhere.

So I just turned back and continued to look at the board, pretending to listen.

Then when I looked down at my paper again it said "meet me in front of school after school." That was so not my hand writing. But I didn't see Seung Ri write anything... I didn't see him pick up a pen or anything.

-After school-

Since the bell rang for dismissal, I rushed outside of the school and scanned the whole school yard. There he was again. He was leaning against a pole and once he saw me he walked up to me.

"Follow me."

I followed him as he walked, leading me the way. I didn't know where he was taking me, but I looked at my phone to check the time. We have been walking for about 15 minutes now. Then he stopped walking.

"Do you have $2.00?"

"Yeah. Why?" I asked.

"We're taking the bus."

"Wait- What about..." I stopped and thought again. He was a ghost so it wouldn't matter, because they wouldn't see him! How lucky.

"What about what? Me?"

"Never mind, I've figured it out already."

We walked a few more blocks to the bus stop. When the bus came, he went right in the bus and I had to pay. Darn, I see it as he got a free ride.

The bus was pretty full, but people weren't standing. Just the seats were full, except there was only one. Seung Ri was sitting on it and got up immediately when I came over. I guess he saved me a seat even though people couldn't see him.

I gave him a smile when he was standing right in front of me when the bus was moving already.

All of a sudden I felt really cold. My hands were getting really cold and I could feel my arms getting goosebumps. I pressed both of my hands together. Then I saw Seung Ri stepping to the other side of the car. I gave him a confusing look. He must have read my face really well.

"Sorry, it's me that's making you cold."

I remembered my friends told me that if the room is cold that means a ghost is in the room. I'm guessing it's true. And in fact today's weather isn't that bad. It's in the Mid 70's.

Before I knew it Seung Ri told me to press the stop button because we were getting off. I followed him out, but it seemed like I was the only one getting off at this stop.

Seung Ri was waiting for me to come and started to lead the way again. Until we reached to the end of the block, the atmosphere was very different in this area. There were barely people walking around the streets, it was all quiet and only about 3 cars passed. We were about to cross the street but without looking a car was about to hit Seung Ri, and I quickly tried to grab his hand. But I couldn't touch him. It's like air, I didn't feel anything. But I didn't get hit. The car stopped when I tried to reach for Seung Ri. The car honked at me. I quickly ran across the street.

I was in a complete shock, I didn't want to ask him. How come he couldn't touch me, but he was able to lean against the pole and sat on a seat in the bus?

"Hey... are you okay?" He asked me.

I looked at him and gave him a weak smile, I was actually really scared to be with him.

"I'm fine."

"Oh because you looked scared for a moment."

"Well... I'm just wondering. Are you only able to touch objects? I've seen you holding onto things and even leaning against the pole."

"I can touch objects but not humans for some reasons."

"I see." I nodded, agreeing. But why was that? So weird.

"This is my house." He pointed.

"I need you to give this to my mom."

He took out a small box. But then I had a question that wouldn't go away.

"W-w-when did you die?" I asked, my lips twitching a little.

"Don't be so scared of me, I'm not taking your soul or haunting you or anything. I died 5 years ago. I want to give this to my mom, but I could have just leaved this thing on the door steps and rang the door bell but I didn't want her to be scared, she might have thought that it was a ghost or something and she's really scared of ghosts."

"Oh..." Was all I could say. I stared at the box that he was holding.

"What's in there?"

"It's my favorite scarf, my mom would always wash it and she'd always see me wear it.You see, I only have two scarfs. This one in the box and the one I'm wearing now. I left this box at a friends house and I went to get it a few months later after I died. I think she would want it back because she likes it when I wear this. It will just be another treasure for her to keep of me."

"Alright. So should I ring the bell now?"

"You know what to say?"

"I got itt. Don't worry."

I grabbed the box and rang the door bell.

A woman opened it and looked at me curiously.

"Yes?" She asked.

"Umm, are you Seung Ri's mother?"

"Yes... what is it that you want?"

"I just want to give this back. He left it in my house I just found it this morning."

"Oh how nice of you. Although, I've never seen you before. What is your name?"

"Tell her your name is Soo Young." Seung ri told me.

"Soo Young."

"Oh, Soo Young! How are you?! My goodness, Seung Ri always talks about you but I've never got to see you for real!!"

She started to tear. I gave her a weak smile.

"Would you like to come inside?"

"No it's alright. I have to go. I just wanted to give this back."

"Soo Young?"

"Yes?" I turned around.

"Did you know what happened... to Seung Ri?"

I didn't know what to answer so I looked at Seung Ri, he gave a nod.

"Yes, I do know."

"Then how come I didn't see you at the funeral 5 years ago?"

"Uhhhh..." I looked at Seung Ri again.

"You had another funeral to attend to and it was the same day and time." Seung Ri said.

"I had another funeral to attend to and it was the same day and time."

"Oh. I see. Well can you please stop by again tomorrow Soo Young?" She smiled.

"Sure." I said.

"Alright honey I'll see you tomorrow."

She closed the door.

"Who's Soo Young?" I asked him.

"She was this girl I used to like in school. She graduated already though." He looked down at his feet.

"Oh, can she see you?"

"No. I wish she could."

"Were you guys close?"

"Not really. We were just partners in science all the time."

"Oh I see. That's so weird. How come I'm the only one who sees you? Did I do something bad to be haunted?" I asked.

He gave out a laugh.

"No, no. I don't know why either. You came to this school 2 years ago right? Well you're a goody-goody."

"Did you stalk me or something?"

"Yeah. I don't know why though. I also don't know why you can see me now and not 2 years ago."

"I thought you would have the answer." I said.

"I don't. I mean no one else can see me but you."

"But how come you came into my classroom so randomly today?"

"I wander around school a lot."

"But when you die don't you go to heaven or hell?"

"I'm kind of stuck on this earth. I don't know why. I can't find any answers. I need you to help me find these answers."

"I guess I'll try." I agreed to him.

"Really? I thought you would refuse."

"Nope. I think it'll be fun."

"How would it be fun?"

"Well you see... I don't do anything at all except studying and that's it."

"Right... I think I'll drop you here." He said when we got to the bus stop.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"You don't need to know. Get home safely!"

And then he disappeared.