Chapter 01

Guardian Angel

School... is a drag. Every single day is the same as another days. Wake up, go to school, listen to the lectures, go home, do homework, watch tv, and sleep. It's a cycle like that for everyday.

No I don't have friends. No I don't hang out. No I don't own a computer nor an Ipod. No I'm not a fan girl for any boy bands. I rarely listen to music. I know, I sound like I don't have a life.

But I'm probably not the only one in my school. I bet everyone is the same. The school that I go to, gives you way too much work that you can even forget about friends, forget about the outside world, forget about everything.

Although there are slackers in my school, they're not necessarily people who don't get bad grades. People call them "slackers" because they know how to balance things in their life. Have time for their friends, family, and time to study. They don't go back straight home and study for the next 5 hours or go to cram school like everyone else. I envy them.

Lunch, I don't even eat in school. Okay, I'm being a bit exaggerating. I do, but I quickly eat and quickly get out of the cafeteria and go to the school's library. I do my homework so that it MIGHT lessen for me tonight.

Ugh, so boring. When can something interesting ever happen?

"Sun Mi!!" Someone whispered my name loudly in the library. I looked up from my notebook, I was doing questions for my chemistry class. I was about to write the answer that I found in the text book but suddenly a classmate of mine called me.

"What?" I asked. She walked toward my desk and plop on the empty seat next to me.

"Can you help me with something?" She asked me.

"Sure. What is it?"

"You know for the English project right? I need you to help me draw a picture of this word for me. I know it's due tomorrow but I haven't had time to do it. You know how I'm in all honors classes this year, and it's very overwhelming for me."

"Sure, sure." I told her.

She gave me the index card and I flipped it to see the word that she was supposed to do. And the word was Delicious. All that came up from my head is food. Delicious food. Muahaha this would be fun.

"Thanks Sun Mi. I really hate learning English. It's so hard for me! I think I'm failing that class. Thanks for helping me. I don't even know why we need to learn English, I mean we're Korean! We don't need to know any other languages except OUR native language that's enough!"

She got up and I started to give a light giggle.

The reason that my classmate made me do this is because one, she's busy. Two, everyone in the whole school knows that I'm a really good artist. And trust me, she's not the first one to ask me to help her draw something.

The English project, I have to actually do it for EVERYONE in my grade. That's about 1,000 pictures I have to draw in one night? No, I'm just exaggerating again. So far I have to draw 6 pictures. I did my project already because it was so easy. But 5 people- including that just came by which is 6- had come up to me to help me draw them. All of them promise to color it tomorrow. I just need to draw it that's it.

I mean those 6 people have honors classes for everything. I don't, I only have 2 honor classes that I'm in. English and history, yes I like history. Even though the rest are regulars, but regulars are hard too.

Finally the bell rang for the next period. I have math next. I gathered my books and put it in my bag. I walked up to the second floor, that was where my math class was. My original seat was near the door. But I don't sit right next to it, but I was near the door. In the classroom there were 3 large table for each 5 row. Two people sat in each table. I know a small classroom, only 15 people per class.

I sat on the second row. Not the middle column, not the column next to the windows, but the one near the door. I saw next to a girl name Hwayobi. And only a guy sat in front of out table, his name was Dae Sung.

The period flew by, and I was taking notes on how to solve the problem. Then I kind of spaced out for a while. Math is way too boring for me. The problems are so easy. I stared outside the door, or actually the hallway for a very long time. The teacher doesn't seem to notice where my eyes were, because it certainly wasn't on the board where she was doing all the math problems. She never calls on me, she knows that I'm way too smart for the class. They tried to move me up but I didn't feel like it. So I stayed in math regulars.

As I was staring at empty hallway, no one was allowed to go to the bathroom during class sessions. I was thinking about what I should do when I get home. I have to do the laundry today. Either eat, do laundry, then homework, or eat, homework, laundry. Hmmmmmm...

But then suddenly, while I was staring at the hallway a boy suddenly appeared out of no where. It was like out of thin air. I jumped in my seat, scared.

"Are you okay, Sun Mi?" The teacher asked me.

"HUH? Oh, umm yeah I'm fine." I calmed myself and try to fix my face to look normal. I blinked twice to look at the door again.

Where did he go? I looked at the front of the classroom and he was right there, walking to the empty seat next to Dae Sung. He was in front of me. His back was in front of me. I looked at his clothes, he wasn't wearing our school uniform. He was wearing a black shirt, blue faded jeans, and a checkered scarf.

I looked around of my classroom to see if anyone was looking at the same direction I was. But no one did. They were all writing in their notebooks, looking at the board, and the teacher.

I lightly tapped Hwayobi.

She turned to me with a "what" expression.

"Do you see him?" I whispered.

"Who? Dae Sung?"

"No, no I mean the guy sitting next to Dae Sung."

"Are you blind? Nobody is sitting next to him."

I looked in front of me again, but the guy WAS still THERE.

"I'm not blind. Maybe you're the one who is, he's sitting right in front of me!"

"Nobody is sitting right in front of you Sun Mi. Dae Sung is sitting in front of me. No one is sitting next to him." Hwayobi said.

"Huh?" That's all it came out. How come Hwayobi doesn't see him?

She reached to Dae Sung and tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around and Hwayobi gave him a note that was folded.

He turned to his left side and looked at me.

"There's no one sitting next to me." He mouthed.

I blinked hard 3 times. But I SEE that there is someone sitting next to Dae Sung.

Even the teacher doesn't notice! I closed my eyes for 10 seconds, making sure that my eyes aren't playing with my mind. Maybe I didn't sleep well last night, maybe that's why I have an illusion of him.

"Sun mi. WAKE UP." The teacher slammed the ruler on my table. I quickly opened my eyes and looked at my teacher.

"I'm sorry." I apologized.

"NEVER sleep in my class again, do you hear me?"

"Yes ma'am."

Then the bell rang. The boy quickly got up first and left the door. I quickly followed him out the door, I was the second out. But then I looked at my right and left, I didn't see him any where. Where did he go?

"MOVE SUN MI." Some guy shouted me from behind.

I moved out of the way. I still looked around the hallway that was now filled with students walking to their next class.

I gave up and walked to my English class. I shook my head, trying to shake off what I saw in math class.

I sat down next to Dae Sung, yes he is in my English class as well.

When the teacher started to talk in English, and asked how we were all are today, I opened up my notebook and took out a pencil for the class.

Then I looked up and-

He was right there again. Looking at me. My eyes widened and shrieked.

Everyone in the class looked at me.

But the boy was holding a paper. It said Don't say a word.

I looked around, apologized.

"Are you okay? You're face is pale. You're acting really strange today." Dae Sung told me.

I didn't answer him or look at him in the eye. The boy was now sitting at the same level as I was. I tried to calm myself down.

His eyes, there were eyeliners under them. Unless those were bags? It looked like he hasn't slept for a year.

He held up another sign again. You can see me right. More of a statement than a question.

I nodded slowly. so that people don't think I'm a weirdo.. He gave a killer smile to me.

"You can hear me too right." Again, he said it like a statement.

I nodded slowly again.

"What's your name?" He asked.

I pointed on my paper which had my name on it.

"Sun Mi? That's cute. My name is Seung Ri."