09: First Gift

First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gift - or a present is an item given to someone without the expectation of payment. Also refer to anything that makes the other happier or less sad, especially as a favour, including forgiveness and kindness. Gifts are also first and foremost presented on occasions - birthdays and Christmas being the main examples. - Wikipedia

 

 

 

Chapter 9:

 

Girlfriend.

Whoever thought I would be that one word at the age of 18?

Boyfriend.

Whoever thought that Kwon Jiyong would suddenly come knocking one day and become the first boy I could call that one word in my life?

Nothing had prepared me for this. Even though I've read too many romance novels and countless pocketbooks during the past few years AND even after spending several hours listening to Bom lecture me about boys and having relationship with them AND even though, yes, I dreamed of getting a boyfriend someday.. I never thought, nor imagined how insanely happy I would become. In fact, there's too much happy virus in my blood stream that my family thought I'd gone nuts.

I sing in my bathroom.

I hum stupid love song every chance I get.

I smile out of nowhere.

I even laughed at Sanghyun after he accidentally spilled his coke over my Harry Potter collection.

I smiled when I got an F on one of my essays.

I would giggle in the middle of a class.

And I would blush after reading a stupid message from my boyfriend.

Yup, I've gone insane. I wouldn't blame my mom if she suddenly decided to throw me inside an asylum or something. Heck I would throw myself inside if I have a chance.

And this day isn’t any different either.

You may ask why. Well, let’s just say I’ve already spent more than 2hours inside the mall looking desperately for the perfect Christmas gift for my boyfriend.

Spent half an hour on a bookstore, only to realize after sweeping one whole bookshelf, that Jiyong barely read any of those book. Heck, I didn’t even saw him once holding any type of book as a matter of fact.

Another half an hour spent on a stupid Toy shop. I don’t even know why I even went inside the store.

 I even dared walked inside an underwear shop, only to leave the store minutes later with a flushed face. God, how am I even gonna find out what size he is for peetsake!?

 And lastly, I’m hoping to find luck on this music store. Besides, Jiyong breathe and eat music. So, why not here? Right?

It would have been nice if one of the girls were with me, but unfortunately they’re off somewhere in South Korea spending the holidays with their family, like they always do every year, while I’m left alone with my family. Luckily, this year.. with Jiyong in my life, Christmas holiday is not as bad as before.

“Miss, here..” a guy in his mid-twenties said while showing me their ‘awesome-one-of-a-kind’ guitar,  as what the sign says on the display window outside.

I awkwardly smile at the guy and reached for the acoustic guitar he was showing me.

I held the guitar by its neck, I think that’s what you call it, and stared at it for a couple of minutes. It definitely looks like a guitar, but how is this ‘one-of-a-kind’ again? This looks like any other guitar if you ask me.

“You’re learning to play the guitar?” I heard the guy asked as I pretended to scrutinize the strings on the guitar. Desperately wanting to look like I know these kind of stuff.

“Ummm” I really don’t know what to answer. In fact, I really want to learn. See… I’ve gone nuts! If Bom could only see me now inside this music store, holding this guitar, I bet my one week allowance, she would’ve flip.

“How much for this?” I asked, shrugging off his question. I figured I really don’t have to answer it anyways.

“550,000won, but it’s on sale so its 325,000 if you buy it with cash.” the guy said.

Oh my freaking jesus! That much? for this piece of wood???

“We’ve got other models if you want?”

I bet my facial expression right now is a giveaway that I was shock beyond belief with what he just said. “Please, could you find something good without me spending too much?” I smiled at the guy. For peetsake, I’m in highschool!! How on earth could I afford this?

He smiled at me as I willingly and carefully returned the guitar to him.

As he disappeared somewhere inside the store, I cautiously looked around hoping I could find atleast something that’s worth under 100,000won. I don’t care if it’s gonna be a ukelele or anything. I wish something would just pop out of nowhere and will scream “hey! I’m a good gift for Jiyong! Buy me!”..

.. but on the other hand, I really wanted to give something special to Jiyong.

“Dara?” I heard someone asked as I felt a hand laid on my shoulder.

I turned around and come face to face with a smiling Lee Donghae.

“Donghae-ah!” I greeted happily. Surprised to see him after a long time, even though, yes, his house is only a walk away from mine and my brother is a good friend of his, I haven’t had any chance hanging out with him or any one in my neighborhood for the past few weeks. I guess Jiyong and school plus my crazy family is enough for my teenage time to be fully occupied.

“I knew it was you!” He cheekily said. “I was just walking by when I saw you inside.”

“What are you doing here?” I asked as I can’t control the smile that curved on my lips.

“I’m with my mom, I’m her driver for today’s last minute Christmas shopping.” He answered as he show me a handful of shopping bags on his hands.

“Really? Where’s your mom? I should say hi to her.”

“She’s somewhere inside the mall, she decided to let me off and let her do the shopping alone. She even gave me money to keep myself busy while I wait for her.”

 “Excuse me, Miss? Would you mind taking a look at this?” the guy interrupted us as he showed me a simple acoustic guitar.

“Wow, you’re playing the guitar now?” Donghae asked.

“Umm… just a little bit. Jiyong’s been teaching me how to play” I answered without looking at him. I reached for the guitar and slowly weigh it on my hands.

Not bad. It’s still a guitar. But not bad.

Now, the real question is.. “how much?” please for the love of Christmas be a lot cheaper than the first one.

“It’s 75,600won”

I widely grin. Finally!! “I’ll take it!!”

 

..

 

“You really like him, huh?” I heard him asked as we walk side by side inside the mall looking for her mother. Just a minute ago, I barely told him about me and Jiyong. He didn’t had much to say aside from he’s happy for me and made me promise I’ll tell him whenever I got problems with Jiyong. So I did. He’s a friend, a good friend after all.

“I guess so.” I mumbled as I tighten the strap of the guitar bag on my back.

I decided instead of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter