Part Five

How To Train Your Half Dragon


Waking up to an empty bed when you had a perfectly good squishy body next to you not an hour before is not a pleasant feeling. Even less so with purple scales scattered around, the taste of magic on your tongue, and the scent of an all too familiar dragon around you. Minho growled low in his throat, wasting no time shifting and racing after the thief. He should have known better.

They only had a few hours lead, he could catch up before they even made it to the keep. He hoped.



____________________




Jinki awoke with a massive headache, then just assumed he was still dreaming when he looked down through the gaps in claws that were holding him to see the ground hundreds of miles under him. What the hell... why hadn't Minho woken him before they left? That thought quickly left him. It was still night out, though close to dawn by the looks of it. He also didn't remember Minho's dragon being this dark, or this small. Not that you could really consider a dragon small.... still. His instincts alone told him something was off, and this wasn't Minho. Which meant he could very well be in trouble.

"Finally awake?" a mischievous, though still deep rumbling voice came from above him. He looked up into eyes the color of gems, much like the color of the waterfall in Minho's... home? Cave? What do you call a dragon's place? His dwelling? Where had those thoughts come from? Sometimes when he was scared he tended to ramble. Hell, he rambled when he wasn't scared.

"What's your name?" Was the first rational thought that came to his mind.

"So you are some sort of wizard? Wanting my name so you have power over me, is that it? Minho sure knows how to pick 'em."

"I'm not a wizard. I don't know what I am. Two days ago I would have assumed I was still a human."

He huffed and looked away from him. "Jonghyun. I suppose I should at least give it to you, in case you die or something later today. Just to be fair."

"D-die?"

"Hmm, we'll we are going to have to do some experiments on you, of course. No hard feelings. Here, let's do one now. If you really are a dragon, you should be able to save yourself."

"Wh-" was all that escaped from Jinki's mouth before he couldn't even breathe let alone scream as he fell to the ground at an alarming rate. Before he even had time to contemplate his own death, however, a pair of firm claws snatched him under the arms and quickly tossed him up on a red scaley back. He sighed in relief, then smacked Minho's dragon form on the back of the head, careful to avoid the horns.

"Where the hell have you been?"

"Napping, like you were supposed to be doing."

"Ha ha, like I had much of a choice."

Minho turned his head and locked amber eyes with amber eyes before saying, with an amused lilt, "You seem well rested either way."

"Gee thanks."

"Awww c'mon I was just having some fun with him!" Jonghyun huffed, gliding his body up against Minho's side. He turned and shot fire at him in annoyance.

"Hey, not cool! Joon isn't even here to put out the flames! What'll I do if you scorch my hair like last time?"

"I'm sure you'll live. What the were you doing last night? He's mine." Minho growled, smacking Jonghyun with his tail when he threatened to get too close again. Jinki, meanwhile, was holding onto Minho's neck for dear life. Riding a dragon: great in theory, not so great when you have nothing to hold onto and you've never been too good at horseback riding in the first place.

Jonghyun's eyes narrowed, but he ignored the 'mine' comment all together. "We couldn't wait till morning. Figured if we took him in the night, you'd soon follow and we'd get the whole thing started a lot sooner. He does smell interesting doesn't he?" Jonghyun said, a long tongue slithering out to the side of Jinki's face. Minho roared, shooting fire at Jonghyun's gaping mouth.

"What the , Choi! Not cool! Now I'm not gonna to be able to taste food for a good week!"

Ignoring him, Minho quickly upped the pace, Jonghyun expending so much energy to try to just keep up that he kept his mouth shut the rest of the flight there.

"Umm.. Minho?"

"What." he said testily, the muscles beneath Jinki flexing and unflexing in agitation.

"Jonghyun had men-"

"Don't say his name! You don't need to know it!"

".....okay. That other flying dragon over there that's purpley? Yeah he mentioned something about me maybe.. perhaps.. dying in these experiments later?"

Minho looked back at him blankly. "You were fine with me eating you before, but now you're all freaked out?" When Jinki made to protest some more Minho growled. "No one's going to lay a ing finger on you with the intent to do harm. Or I'll bite it off."

Jinki sat back a little, though not so far as to fall off, and sunk into his own thoughts. Why did he find what Minho just told him... y? It wasn't like him to think things like that at all, but he'd noticed he'd begun thinking more and more about that kind of stuff in general since he'd met Minho. Not good.

"Buck up and act a little tougher, would you? No one's going to eat you. Especially not if you're half dragon. We're here," he stated, landing with ease through an entrance in what looked like a volcano head. Inside, however, he found no lava, just dragons. Which was worse? With a body shudder from Minho, Jinki was quickly slipping off of him and onto the floor in a heap of limbs.

"Oh he's cute," a cheery voice said to Jinki's left.

"Back the off, Lee Joon."

"Touchy touchy." Jinki now registered the voice belonging to the pale silver and white dragon, similar in size to Minho, before a flash of light blinded Jinki once again until a slightly glowing, and of course (that seemed to be a trend here), man stood above him. Looking up at a slightly aroused man is quite an interesting view this early in the morning, isn't it? The thought was in his head before he even had time to register that the man was in fact aroused and right in front of his face. Jinki blushed immediately and looked away, causing the man to laugh and crouch beside him.

"Hmm, you smell good, and your eyes," he said, grasping Jinki's chin and turning his head to stare openly at them, "definitely some dragon in you. Though I could help with that a bit too if you want." Oh lord, Jinki thought, this man's gorgeous too. I feel so underdressed... then he remembered his rather... lack of dress. Oh right... The newcomer... Joon, was it? Had disheveled chocolate hair and abs that most men would die for, probably most women too. His smile, too, was boyish and charming, and Jinki felt himself slowly slipping into a trance.

A fist connected firmly with Joon's jaw, though to his credit he didn't fly back from the blow, just laughed and backed off a bit, though not too much. Minho stood over him protectively, then roughly pulled him up to stand next to him. He must have been so distracted he hadn't even seen Minho shift, but he could appreciate being helped up out of the junk line of fire. Didn't want to poke his eye out. Or get any other stranger ideas...

Jonghyun finally landed a bit behind them, wasting no time to shift to his human form and walk over by Joon, though you could tell the two didn't really get along. The other two dragons quickly followed suit. One to reveal a man who looked no older than his forties, but still attractive by human standards, and a much younger man, with sandy blonde hair and a rather intense glare.

"Well now that we're all it's like a party, huh?" Joon said jokingly. When only blank faces stared back at him he chuckled. "Tough crowd, I'll go fetch us some clothes." The man had just won some major points in Jinki's book.

"Oh, so these guys are allowed to wear clothes?" Jinki whispered in annoyance to Minho, who was looking embarrassingly statuesque beside him.

If Jonghyun had his dragon ears they would have perked up at that moment. Instead the man burst out laughing as he quickly ran to catch up with Joon. The two remaining dragons who had yet to say their names, though Jinki could only assume the older man was 'the old one', stared at him. Jeeze these guys were dramatic, this guy was still young in his opinion. Dragons age well apparently, the jerks.

"Well bring him here, already," the man said, the glaring boy standing next to him warily. Jinki made eye contact with him for a split second, with eyes as black as night, before his quickly shifted away from the glare uncomfortably. What was this guy's problem?

Minho pulled him forward firmly by the arm until he was almost chest to chest with the older man. His hand gently reached out and lightly touched Jinki's scar at first, then slowly spread into an open palm pressed firmly against his chest. He inhaled deeply, closing his eyes, and when they opened, yellow orbs looked back at Jinki's amber ones.

"That makes much more sense."

"What does?" the boy beside him asked, his voice a lot deeper than Jinki would have assumed it would be.

"He has the heart of a fully turned dragon in his chest. Though it's tainted. Smells earthy and dark, yet light and pure all at the same time... very strange. This isn't your original heart, is it, young one?" Jinki just stared at the man in front of him in confusion. "No, you wouldn't remember your death, but I can smell it. It happened years ago. Minho would know your father by the name of Kang Dae."

Minho stiffened beside him, "The other cursed dragon?"

"Clearly wasn't cursed after Jinki was born, yet he still remained a dragon... interesting."

"This doesn't make any sense. How is Jinki still alive with Kang Dae's heart?" the boy asked.

"His scent, and his scar, give it away rather well. He was killed, and his father was aided with dark magic to heal him, even gave him his own heart." Jinki paled. He'd been killed? He didn't even remember his own parents, let alone being killed, though he supposed that wasn't something you were likely to remember.

"What?" the boy said, then grasped Jinki by the shoulders and began shaking him. "Where were you saved? Who did it? Could you find them again?"

"I.. I don't..." Jinki started.

"Tell me or I swear to God I will rip out your-"

Minho shoved the boy back quite a few feet and placed Jinki behind him. "He was found in the forest by my mountains. The village claims something dark lives there. Go do some investigating of your own, Yifan, and back the off. He doesn't remember."

The younger boy glared at the two of them one last time before shifting and flying off, no doubt to do just that.

"Forgive Yifan. He lost someone close to him not long ago, and has been hunting down a way to bring him back for years now."

Jinki felt a twinge of guilt for thinking the boy was just plain evil at first glance. He'd clearly been through quite a lot.

"Well, he won't be of much help to us, since his father was like you, but you're welcome to stay here for a few days and get to know your kind if you'd like. Still, it would be interesting to know how your father broke his curse. Guess we'll never know, eh?"

Jinki just stared after the man as he walked away, then sighed in relief when Joon came running back with clothes in his hands not seconds later. Even if they didn't fit, anything would be better than what he had on now. Though Minho could stay ... if he wanted...

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

A/N: And another body, and another body! I'm like ing Oprah giving away these bodies xDDD Hey. If you got it. Flaunt it. So let's see, the current five dragons are as follows: Minho, Jonghyun, Joon, Yifan(some of you may know him as Kris lmao), and then some older but not too old gentleman who shall not be named lmao. Now Jinki. Making it sixxxxx. His dad's just a made up guy, no need to look up the name on google guys haha!

Yay for Kris finally making an appearance!! Even if he is rather quiet and brooding. And I dunno, I just feel like calling him Yifan in this.... it seems like a good dragon name xD