Part Three

How To Train Your Half Dragon

 

After the baby, he began neglecting her. It was innocent enough at first, but after three years of it, she grew to despise the boy she had once carried so lovingly in her womb. One night, while he was out hunting, she decided she'd had enough. The dragon came home to find the woman sitting beside the limp body of their child, laughing maniacally, a knife through the young boy's heart.

She turned in time to see the fury in the dragons eyes, "You... you don't understand! You USED me for this... this
abomination! It had to die!"

The dragon roared in anguish and flung the crazed woman aside, her death instantaneous as her head crashed against the sharp rocks of the cave's walls. Shifting, he held the lifeless child in his arms and wept, but then looked back to the cave entrance, determined. His wings slipping out from the bare skin on his back, now semi covered in scales, he flew to the only creatures he knew could save his child: the sidhe.

The sidhe were royalty among the fae, so already they were hard to deal with, but the only ones that knew the spell
he needed were the dark fae of the forests, though they were known for being malicious. Once in their palace, he pleaded with them to help bring back the child. Death was the one magic lost to the dragons, otherwise he would have saved the boy himself, but the fae were much too greedy with their powers to teach anyone else. In fact, watching the dragons slowly die off was a very fun pass time for the dark fae. He knew this, but still he begged for them to save the last offspring the dragons had had in centuries.

They refused at first, and even then would only agree if the dragon would give up his own heart, his own life, to save the child's. "A dragon for a dragon," they cackled from the shadows. But the dragon quickly agreed, watching through eyes that were slowly becoming unfocused, as his heart was taken from his own chest to be put into his son's. As he took his first breath, the dragon took his last.

But unfortunately for the dragon, the fae were a tricky race. Sure, one dragon dead was great, but it would be better for his hatchling to perish as well. They had sworn to the dragon before he died that they would not kill the boy, and to break an oath meant certain death, but they had never said they would take care of him either. "When it came to offspring, dragons became desperate and dumb," the chuckled.

Dropping the three year old half breed alone in the middle of the dark woods, they openly prayed for his death. Anything could kill the youngling at his tender age, and if he was killed before his immortal change began to take over, all the better. True, it's possible to kill immortals, but it's no easy feat. Especially a dragon. Hopefully with the death of this one, the secret to dragon conception would be kept hidden until the rest of the race died out, but with how many dragons remained in the world, they would soon be gone anyway.
..


Jinki awoke, sitting up and gasping for air, his hand clasped over his sweat ridden chest, though his heartbeat was sure and strong beneath his palm. He released a sigh and fell back onto the fur blankets he had been laying on. After the bath, the dragon had told him to sleep, that he needed to confirm something and be gone a couple of days. It hadn't mattered to Jinki, a few more days to stay alive, in his opinion. Grimacing at his body that was now sticking to the fur thanks to his perspiration, he decided it was time for another bath, then maybe he'd do some exploring.



___________________________




"What brings you here, Choi? You're always welcome, but you've never been one to want the company of other dragons before." The old one tilted his head, silver scales shimmering in the moonlight that shone through the cave's open ceiling.

"I have a.... problem. A puzzle. As you know, I've been trying to have children..." The older dragon perked up. "...but it hasn't worked once in the years I've been trying. So I figured I'd just start eating the sacrifices." The other dragon sat back and nodded sadly. "Well, the village gave me someone... intriguing this year. He tastes like magic, isn't afraid of my dragon form, loves flying, and now... I've found a scar over his heart, covered in scales. Inside his chest beats the heart of a dragon. How is this possible?"

"I had heard of such a tale... but that was two or three decades ago, I had assumed it was just a myth like all the other offspring tales. Would you mind... bringing him here? If what you say is true, we could possibly find out the secret to how he was conceived. It's a shame he's a boy, but with enough magic I suppose..." he trailed off, his tail swishing behind him absently.

Minho's eyes grew dark with suspicion, but he nodded hesitantly. "I will bring him. How many are here with you?"

"We all reside here now, Choi. All but you, who stubbornly tries to live as we used to. Well, you are young, you'll learn. That or you'll die." The dragon turned his head, as if dismissing Minho, and ignored the younger dragon as he angrily flew off.

"You're young, but you aren't stupid. Best claim him now before the others see him.."



__________________



Minho watched as his mountains slowly came into view, the sun shining shyly over the peaks as the morning hours rolled on. Would Jinki be awake when he got there? His anticipation to see him after only being gone two days was ridiculous, but even so, the knot of excitement in his belly churned more and more. Landing at the entrance, he quickly shifted and walked towards the room he knew Jinki was sleeping in, his own, which pleased Minho to no end, but when he walked in, he felt a wave of disappointment at Jinki not sleeping there. In fact, he wasn't anywhere in the room. Where was he this early in the morning?

Wandering through the cave, he eventually found him sitting by the waterfall, taking a bath yet again. He had watched the village for quite some time, and he had never given them too much credit for their cleanliness before, but the fact that Jinki liked to be clean didn't bother Minho in the slightest. He watched in fascination as Jinki's hands roved over his own body, lazily washing himself. The boy did not look like a morning person, so what had woken him up?



___________________




"Bad dreams, pet?" a low voice echoed from the darkness.

Jinki jumped at first, then relaxed as Minho emerged from the shadows, , like always. "I always have nightmares, but I never remember them." He shrugged. "I've just kind of gotten used to it. Usually I can go back to sleep, but something about this place makes them more violent..." Minho nodded, though not quite understanding, and walked into the water with Jinki.

"You could use some soap," Minho suggested, grabbing a small square of honey scented soap from a nearby ledge behind the waterfall.

"I could use some food," Jinki said dejectedly, though grabbed the chunk of sweet smelling soap from Minho's outstretched hand anyway.

Any dirty thoughts Minho had been harboring while looking at Jinki's slick body were pushed back at that last comment, then he mentally shook himself. "That's right, you need food every day don't you.. I'm sorry. I was just, excited about something, it kind of slipped my mind. Normally I remember things like that..."

"I should hope so..." Jinki pouted.

"What do you want me to get you? As an apology?"

"...Chicken... but don't bother if you're just going to kill me." Minho looked back at Jinki for a split second, before his face broke out into the iest smile Jinki had ever seen.

"Killing you? Hmm, not at the moment," then he mumbled quietly to himself, "but your body is definitely on the menu for tonight," before shifting and flying off, presumably to get some chicken.

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

A/N: A little insight into Jinki's past since we would have never found out otherwise xD Jinki's story really wouldn't have been known any other way so, viola! Flashback nightmare mode. So you guys would at least have some idea to go off of :) All comments are seriously really appreciated, guys! Ugh, but now I'm off to bed. I have the biggest friggin' headache right now. Night! <3