Thank You & Goodbye

It was Onew...
 

Jinki looked out and across the nightscape of the city - fluorescent white lights and blue-rimmed shadows blinked out at him.

Recollections of the day floated in his mind. There was a left-handed girl at the signing event for their new album; she had a camera bag strapped around her shoulders. His thoughts carried towards another girl he had briefly known and he sighed for her family and friends. He was one of them too, no? He would've liked to been her friend.

He laid back on the rooftop of their dorm building and looked up at the night sky, searching for a sign of her in the stars. Jinki searched the constellations and galaxies for a recent addition ... when he slipped into dreams and the exhaustion from a hard day's (and night’s) work claimed him to sleep.

 

***** *

 

He came to at a park. The grass was white with snow but then it changed to the vibrant green of spring. The sky was streaked with swirling rainbows and stars shone brightly next to the sun.

A young girl was sitting on a bench, a camera hung from its strap around her neck. She was thin and her white dress hung loosely from her small frame. A bandana covered her head, and it changed from aqua, green, to blue.

Jinki smiled with recognition - it had been a while since he had last saw her. The last news from her had made him cry ... because he had not wanted to say goodbye. He made his way towards the little photographer and sat next to her. The years of her familiar presence at his events returned to him. As did too the rumours he heard about her from other fans.

"I am sorry," Jinki quietly apologised to her.

"Hmm?" she quizzically hummed with a small smile on her lips.

"About the other fans and what they had done to you."

"It is alright," she reassured him.

 

They stayed in a companionable silence. The sounds of song birds crept upon them. They morphed into the clicks and whirls of a hundred cameras.

"Can I take a photo of you?" she cautiously asked him. "I love it when I take pictures of you."

He looked back onto her hopeful face and nodded agreement.

 

Their scenery shifted and they were now within an arena, the stage set out for a concert performance. Jinki stepped up to the stage and transformed into the Leader Onew with a low bow and bright smile to his audience of one.

Onew sang and danced, fell and laughed, smiled and acted out to the girl's giggles and erratic flashlights of her camera. She shouted out the fan chants in her hoarse voice, her strained throat smoothed over from the tears shed as goodbye to another life.

 

The showcase was performed and Onew sat on the stage, his face covered with sheen of sweat. The memory of the photographer came from her spot in the audience and crouched next to him. She handed him a towel and water bottle with another small smile, a sad smile.

"Thank you, Onew," she whispered. She took one last photograph of him, exhausted from a wonderful stage performance, and faded away into the darkness of the arena.

"Please visit me again, but not too soon. Other fans wait for you too."

 

*****

 

"Jinki."

A cold hand pressed upon his face and he stirred from his sleep. He opened a reluctant eye at Jonghyun, Kibum, Minho and Taemin. Their faces peered down at him and the rising sun winked at him from between the skyscrapers of the city.

"Jinki, don't tell me you were up here all night!" Kibum exclaimed and pulled his errant leader to his feet.

Jinki wobbled on his stiff legs and sheepishly grinned up at him.

"I am sorry, Kibum. I was meeting an old friend again," was all he said to his exasperated band mate.

 

 


INDIVIDUAL STORY LINK

This was my tribute to the recently departed fansite master, ONEWSTYLE.