The best friend

It was Onew...

 

"Hey." his voice was cheerful on the phone. You hadn't really noticed before, really. But he was always happy to hear your voice.

"Hey." you tried to be as happy. Urgh. Maybe not today.

"Are you ok?" he had caught on. Why does he always catch on to your moods?

There was the one time when you had forgotten about the online quiz until a classmate mentioned that it was closing in an hour’s time. He had called then too, during your moment of panic. He came by to the computer labs with a chocolate brownie for you, on the condition that you get to have it once you submitted the quiz. You loved chocolate brownies.

There was the other time when you were dead exhausted from a long afternoon of lab pracs and the insufferable lab partner who did nothing but steal your answers. You didn't even have the energy to boil water to make yourself a cup of ramen noodles. He had showed up at your door with pizza, with extra cheese.

There was that night when you were hanging out and you spotted your boyfriend hand-feed some chick some greasy fried chip before kissing her oily lips. He saw it too and took you away, stuffing your face with the spiciest wasabi sushi roll so you could lie about the tears in your eyes.

There was the time when you won the free VIP tickets to see your favourite band. When you called to brag the news to everyone, he spazzed with you as if they were the best thing in his life too. He hated that band.

There were the countless blue skies, sunny days where you just laid out on the grass to feel the earth spin. He sat wordlessly next to you, reaching out his hands to the clouds too.

And so this time, as you lifelessly stumbled out of the hospital door, he was there. Just himself. He took you into his arms and let yourself crumble. He was there to pick up the pieces if any cracked and fell to the floor.

He was there to save you because he didn't want to lose you.

He was your best friend.

 

 


OK, I will freely admit this was written for a friend who is a Flamer (Minho) and because of her bias the 'best friend' is Minho.

But it is so open.

And in my private daydreams, the best friend is Onew....