chapter 1

The Baby Proposal

“Mommy!!” Myunghee run to Mirae, wrapping her small arms over Mirae neck.

“Hello sweetie. Did you listen to Jiae unnie?” Mirae lift the toddler, mentioning the caretaker on the child care centre.

“Of course, mommy. Myunghee is 3 years old next week.” She raised 4 fingers. Mirae laughed softly at her daughter.

“That is four, sweetie. It is three.” Mirae raise her three fingers. Myunghee quickly replace her fingers, earning giggle from both of them. “Now, let’s go home. Mommy is bit tired.”

After bid goodbye to the rest caretaker, Mirae and Myunghee walk to their apartement. Myunghee keep telling stories from the child care centre, which Mirae gladly listen and occasionally laugh. Their apartment was not extravagant, but decent and safe enough. She barely got extra money from her work to buy food, paid the child care centre and many other expenses. Thankfully her college is paid from scholarship, otherwise she won’t keep studying right now. After change Myunghee into her pororo pajama, Mirae quickly dashing to the kitchen, making something for their dinner as Myunghee watching television.

“MOMMY!” she shouting from infront of television. “There is daddy on tv!”

Myunghee moving her little feet dancing to EXO’s growl, squealing like fangirl everytime her “daddy” made appearances.

Mirae sighing. Of course little Myunghee wasn’t one of EXO member love child with her. She even didn’t know the EXO member personally. Few months ago Myunghee asking about her father, which catching Mirae off guard. The little angel could be very persistent, so Mirae just randomly showing a man picture to her, which turned out the EXO member. She didn’t even know where the real father is now.

“Mommy, why didn’t daddy life with us?” Myunghee innocently asking Mirae, making her nearly choking the soup she tasted.

“W – What, sweetie?”

“Yes, mommy. The other kids at child care living with both mommy and daddy. Myunghee wanna life with daddy too.”

“sweetie, we can’t do that. If daddy with us he won’t be able appear on TV.”

She paused for a while, and then nodded her head.

“Now lets eat dinner.”

******

 

Mirae start her day early. First she must cleaning thru the house, not that her house is big so it wont take so much time. Then she prepares her stuff and Myunghee’s, waking Myunghee up then preparing herself. The last thing was taking breakfast, usually consisted of cereals and milk. After eating breakfast, they walked to the child care centre. The child care centre itself, luckily, didn’t cost Mirae much. It held by a local government with support of local society. It provides long hour of child care, mostly for single parents and the poor. Mostly Mirae left Myunghee when she had class and work.

After class, Mirae will go to the café she works in as cashier. The café itself not really big, feels homey and little bit secretive. Not really much newcomer comes to the café, mostly just regular from surrounding. The owner is a kind hearted ahjumma which often allow Myunghee comes along, like today.

“Mommy! Can I have the rabbit shaped bun?” Myunghee jumps, pointing at a cute bun in the etalase.

“Hmmm. If Myunghee being a good girl while mommy is woking.”

“I will mommy. Myunghee will be a good girl.”

Mirae smiled at her little angel, who walking at her usual table, and starting to prepare her drawing tools. Mirae prepare the rabbit shaped bun and a glass of warm milk and placed the tray near the little girl, kiss her chubby cheeks then continue to her place near the cashier machine.

 

 The bells at the door tingling, indicating there is costumer enter the café.

 

“Welcome.” Mirae greet the two young men in hood that walked in, still talk to each other. “What you want to have?”

The two young men stare each other, silently scanning the near empty café, just few ahjussi from surroundings seats in the front and few people on seats that separated by book shelves. One of them opens his hood, much shock to Mirae, its EXO’s leader, Kim Joonmyeon. Eventho she live in the same city as them, never once Mirae spotted the idols.

Mirae felt her jaw drop, but quickly regain her professional smile again.

“What can I get for you, sir?” she speaks again.

The other young man whisper silently to the leader, who nodded and glancing to cakes etalase.

“We will have one cappuccino, one café au lait, one chocolate cake and one strawberry cheese cake.”

“Please wait at your seat. Your order will deliver to your table.” Mirae smile, giving him a table number then disappear to prepare the boys order.

 

They walk to their seat, the table between book shelves. The other one look around once again before open his hood.

“How did you found this place?” the other boy still looks around the interior, then facing the smiling leader.

“I don’t. Yixing once lost and ended up here. I think this place is pretty good, so I went here once a while. I haven’t come here for a while too.”

The other boy nodded his head and continuing to look the book in the shelf behind him when he felt a tug in his jeans. He looks down and found pretty little girl looking at him with wide eyes. Her curly pigtails bounce as the little girl moving her head.

Mirae bring the tray filled with the boys order when she saw Myunghee tugging one of the boy’s jeans. She quickly serving them then bent down to her little angel.

“Sweetie, you can’t disturb them. What about being good girl we talked about, hmm?” Mirae speak softly to her baby girl, try to unfasten her grip.

“But, mommy! Its daddy.” The little girl whines cutely.

Mirae instantly raise her head. Out of 11 members he had, why Joonmyeon must bring him? The one Mirae pointed as Myunghee’s father.

 

Kim Minseok.