Chapter 14

Missing

January 16, 2012

 

“Err… Are you sure you want to ride that?” I stared at Jinki wide eyed, pointing to the T-Express, famed for being one of the world’s steepest wooden roller coasters.

“Yeah”

“Don’t you want to ride something else first before that?”

“No, I want to ride that now!” I couldn’t see his smile because of the mask, but he sounded animated.

I’m not scared to be honest. I don’t think there is anything to be afraid about riding a roller coaster. In fact, I love everything from the ups and downs to the crazy loops. It makes me feel so alive. Or at least that is what I remember from my last roller coaster ride which was around 8 years ago.

Then again, everything ends after I get off the ride. I start to feel queasy and like I want to throw up. I don’t puke, but the feeling is incredibly unpleasant and this part I remember ever so clearly.

The queue for this roller coaster was actually really long compared to the others that barely had people lining up.

We finally got on the ride and had to privilege to sit in the first row because Jinki had apparently tossed a ring around a moving toy elephant. The entertainer was moving the stuffed toy like crazy, I wonder how Jinki even got it.

 

I sat in my seat ever so quietly, Jinki sat beside me looking perfectly calm and chill.

As soon as the ride started, I felt my palms sweating. I looked outside the cart.

Oh god, it was so high.

Did I mention I’m a bit of an acrophobic?

I looked to my other side, Jinki had his arms crossed in front of him.

“How can you be perfectly calm at a moment like this?” Scratch the part where I love roller coasters, I was in panic mode. My sweaty hand reached for his shirt collar.

“We’re not even at the top yet.” He shrugged and raised his eyebrows.

“Perhaps you’re scared.” The brunette teased and he gently removed my hand from his shirt.

“N-No, I’m not!” I defended myself as I felt my cheeks redden. N-No, I’m not scared, just a bit… Nervous! Yeah… I’m just nervous! After all, it’s been 8 years since I last rode this.

“Tell you what, Hye Jung. I’ll make you a deal.”

“Keep it going, I’m listening.” I gritted my teeth.

“If you get out of this ride without holding onto the rails, I’ll let you pick the next ride. You have to raise your hands high up in the air.” Jinki twitched his eyebrows.

“… Deal!” I answered without thinking. Oh god, what did I get myself into now?

 

I raised my hands even though there was still a bit to go before the drop. Jinki had also put his hands up.

    “Get ready, Hye Jung! 3..2..1..”

 “AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” With my eyes closed, a scream escaped my throat as I struggled to keep my hands up. I wanted to choose the next ride, but… I wanted to put my hands down.

 

Suddenly, I felt something lightly brush against my fingers, a warm hand had found its way into my palm.

I bewilderedly looked at Jinki, his hand in mine. His eyes sparkled with joy and I could hear his high pitched laughter and occasional “woohoo”s.

His eyes caught mine even if it was just a second and gave my hand a reassuring squeeze. I returned the favor by tightening my fingers around his hand.

 

“That was AMAZING!” Jinki shouted the last word which caused people to stare at the hyper brunette.

“Yes, it was! And I won!” I happily screamed along while Jinki stuck his tongue out. I actually enjoyed the ride, now I remember why I liked riding roller coasters. The thrill, the adrenaline rush, it all came back to me.

“I wanna ride it again, now!” His stomach objected to the idea and made a loud grumbling noise.

“Yeah yeah, before that, why don’t you feed your “wash boards” first?” I grinned, giving his stomach a light poke, despite feeling a bit of my breakfast in my throat.

“Oh, alright. Hye Jung, are you alright? You look a little… Green”

“Me? I’m fine! Let’s have lunch.”

I guessed that the food here would be expensive and I don’t have a lot of money on me. Taking out the kimbap rolls I made this morning, I handed one to Jinki. I slowly ate the bite-size slices of kimbap, still feeling kind of sick.

Jinki took off his mask and started to eat, his eyes focused on me.

“…What type of music do mummies listen to?” He suddenly blurted out, trying to liven the somewhat dead atmosphere.

“Mummies? As in omma(mom)?”

“No, no. Mummies as in dead bodies wrapped in cloth to preserve their bodies.”

“They’re dead, how are they going to listen to music?” I questioned seriously. Maybe he’s talking about life after death or some paranormal theory.

“Just answer”

“I don’t know… Maybe slow songs to continue life after death peacefully?”

“Deng, wrong answer Hye Jung. The answer is wrap music.”

“Wrap music? How do they listen to wrap music? ‘Wrap’ isn’t even a type of music!” I argued, scrunching my nose.

“Wrap, in English is pronounced as ‘rap’. So, mummies listen to ‘wrap music’ because they are wrapped in pieces of cloth.” He explained his joke with a childish smile on his face.

“Ahh… I get it. Pretty good, Jinki.” I gave him a thumbs up with a grin on my face.

“See if you can solve mine.”  

“Bring it on.” He narrowed his eyes. The western shootout duel music suddenly played in my mind.

“What kind of guns do bees use?” I smirked and ate another slice of my kimbap as he caught his chin in his hand thinking of the answer.

There is no way he is going to get this right! I confidently stuck another kimbap slice into mouth while I waited for his answer.

“…”

“Have you thought of the answer?”

“The answer is…”

Alright with the suspense, just answer!

“B(ee)B(ee) gun!” He clapped his hands together making me choke on my kimbap.

“Hye Jung-ah, drink this” I gladly took the bottle of water he handed me and drank big mouthful of water to wash down the food.

“Omma-yah, you startled me, Hye Jung!” He frantically moved his hands, earning a light smack on the shoulder from me.

“Who told you to get the right answer?” I playfully snapped at him.

“It’s in my genes to get the answer to every lame joke.” He answered with pride.

As I about to respond, sudden nausea hit me and the food was at the back of my throat. I think I still haven’t recovered from the T-Express. Covering my mouth, I pointed to the washroom gesturing to Jinki my destination and ran there as fast as I could.

 

Hye Jung ran to the washroom covering , the brunette guessed she got sick from eating too fast.

He slowly ate his kimbap to prevent the same thing from happening and sat still, waiting for Hye Jung to come back.

After putting his mask back on, he felt a light tug on his coat.

Looking to the side, he saw a kid in school uniform. He guessed the kid was no more than 5 or 6 years old. The child pointed to his kimbap roll as if asking for some. Jinki looked around and didn’t find anyone caring or looking for the boy.

Where did this kid come from?

“Aegi-ya (Kid), where are your parents?” The adorable boy ignored his question and continued to point at the kimbap.

“Do you want some?” He replied with a soft yes and Jinki gave him the chopsticks he was holding. However, the boy did not move a muscle, staring at the older man intently, making Jinki wonder if the kid wanted him to feed him.

   “Okay, I’ll feed you if that’s what you want.”  Jinki gave the boy a weak smile. He thought maybe he’d bring the kid to the Lost and Found Centre after he ate, maybe the kid still hadn’t had lunch because his eyes were focused on the kimbap roll now.

“Say ahh” Jinki opened his mouth wide encouraging the young boy to do the same so he could put the kimbap into his mouth.

The boy didn’t follow him though, his mouth remained shut tight. Maybe it was because he couldn’t see Jinki open his mouth under the mask.

“Brrr… Brr… The airplane is coming. Brr… Brr…” Jinki pretended that the kimbap roll was an airplane flying all over the place then aiming for the kid’s mouth. The “plane” seems to have caught the child’s attention, his eyes following the kimbap wherever it flew.

At last, he opened his mouth and Jinki fed him the slice to which the kid chewed happily.

“Does it taste good?”

“Mm…” The child gave Jinki a sure nod as he wiped his little nose.

“Aigoo, you’re so cute.” The older chuckled before hesitatingly patting the child’s head, Jinki briefly glanced at the female washroom sign.

When was Hye Jung coming back from her toilet trip?

 

__________________________________________________

Hi guys!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Thank you for your idea, Totally07Asian13! I originally wasn't sure if I should include the roller coaster scene, however thank you for your input <3

Once again, I'd love to hear your ideas, it can help make the story more fun to read =)

Also, please subscribe if you haven't yet and don't be shy to leave me a comment down below. 

I'd love to hear from you guys!

 

Did you guys celebrate the Lunar New Year?? Happy Lunar New Year to all of you, hehe <3

XOXO,

Tiff <3