Chapter 13

Missing

  January 16, 2012

 

  “Uh, tell me why we’re here again?” I scratched my head, looking at the entrance to Everland, South Korea’s largest theme park.

  “Because halmeoni got tickets from her friend in Seoul and she doesn’t want to go. So, we’re here?” Jinki repeated perfectly what she had told him earlier at the house.

  “Oh yeah…”

  “What are you waiting for? Aren’t we going in? We haven’t got all day” the excited brunette bounced up and down impatiently.

  Honestly, this is only my second time here. My first time to Everland was your average school fieldtrip, with classmates and teachers who just scattered once we got to the amusement park. During the trip, I was mostly alone, roaming round and round the amusement park by myself, trying out the rides alone and probably the only one eating by herself at lunch. Sure the rides were thrilling, but something felt missing.

  “Hye Jung ah, let’s go.” I could see his smile under his white surgical mask. So why was he wearing a surgical mask today? I know some of you are curious.

  He’s not sick or anything, he’s been eating really well at home. When we were on the way here, he suddenly said that he wanted to keep his face warm. Already on the bus here, I didn’t have any extra articles of clothing to lend him and didn’t know where to find one either. I rummaged around my backpack only to find a plain white surgical mask to which I handed to him.

  The brunette flashed a thankful smile before putting on the mask and closing his eyes for a nap.

 

  “Why don’t we start with Safari World? “

  Before I knew it, Jinki had already pulled me onto the Safari Bus. That was how fast we queued up for the rides, there were almost no people lining up for the Savanna Safari ride. Since today was a Monday, I guess there weren’t many locals; instead we were surrounded by foreigners. But there still, there weren’t a lot of people in the theme park in general.

  I sat beside the window and Jinki sat next to me, putting his right hand on top of the short rail in front of him. I think he’s scared of animals. I might later in the ride.

  The ride was nice, the cool breeze made me bury half of my face under my scarf. The bus slowly moved along the park. The brunette beside me somehow looked more alert from his usual goofy self.

  We passed by the resting camels, eating zebras and running ponies. Giraffes then came into view and started following the bus. The tour guide stuck his hand out of the window and the giraffe started eating the food.

  I looked at the sight with glee as the tour guide gave me some food for the giraffes. I was actually mildly scared that they’d eat my fingers. I know they’re herbivores, but still… 

  With the food in hand, I was a bit hesitant about feeding the giraffes. As I was about to hand the food back to the guide, Jinki took some of it in his left hand and stuck it out to feed a new giraffe that had joined the previous one.

  A small chuckle escaped from his lips and he focused his attention on me, somehow using his smiling eyes to encourage me to do the same as well.

  “See?” Jinki wiggled his fingers, it was obvious that all of them were still there. It’s as if he knew what I was hesitant about.

  I gave him a weak smile and was planning to give up, but he gently led my hand out the window. A smaller giraffe approached, sniffing my hand first before proceeding to eat the food on my hand. Jinki gave its head a light pet.

  “Good job, Hye Jung” He whispered to me and I gave him a wide grin in response.

  The best was saved for last, the adorable Koshik - the talking elephant.

  The tour guide asked if the elephant had already eaten breakfast to which it shook it head and “said” no.

  I glanced at Jinki who looked as amazed as I was. You could tell since his normally small eyes were opened wide and unblinking.

  “Peanuts?” The tour guide asked loudly.

  “JOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH” Koshik seemed to like the idea of peanuts, the guide threw him some and he gladly ate it.

  Then we headed back to the ride entrance, the animals were fun to look at.

  I don’t think I’m stupid, but aren’t giraffes and zebras supposed to be afraid of the cold? It was only 8 degrees today; I wonder how they managed to follow the bus around under the cold weather…

  I was starting to feel excitement and that my bottom left the seat even before the bus had stopped. I wanted to get to the next ride as soon as possible.

  That I regret, having my sorry leave the seat before the vehicle stopped.

  Before it reached the entrance, the bus passed something that seemed like a speed bump. Because of that sudden jump, I almost fell out of the seats.

  A hand caught me before I got thrown out of the seats and my hair was all over my face.

  I peeped through the streaks of desheveled hair on my face.

 

  It was Jinki.

  His right rand was holding the rail firmly and his left arm was around my shoulder to prevent my fall.

  “Are you alright, Hye Jung?” A soft voice came from under his mask.

  “Yeah, thanks. Good thing you’re here, or else my would be on the aisle right now.” I joked with a grin on my face.

  His eyes once again turned into half crescents as I gave his head a pat.

 

  “What ride do you want to try now? I’ll let you decide since you literally saved my earlier.”

  Jinki pointed to a huge wooden roller coaster.

  Dun dun dunnnnn * cue dramatic background music*

  His choice was the T- Express.

  From here, it looked like the world’s steepest roller coaster.

 

 

_______________________________

Hi guys, here is another chapter for you <3

Hope you guys like it!

Like always, thank you so much for subscribing and I'd love to hear from you guys!

 

XOXO

Tiff<3