Chapter 10~

Holiday In Handcuffs

Happy KyuMin Day everyone! 137 :D

enjoy reading~ <3 

 


Chapter 10~

 

 

Silence settled between the two men as they strolled through the thick blanket of snow, enjoying the stillness of the night. Sungmin pulled his muffler scarf closer to his neck as he shivered deliciously against the biting cold winter frost.

"Kyuhyun? Do you feel okay in those clothes? It's pretty chill out here, so if you're feeling too cold we could go back insi-"

 

"Aw is the little abductor going soft for his hostage?" Kyuhyun cooed with a smirk.

 

"I'm not little," Sungmin mumbled under his breath with his bow-shaped lips pursed into a pout.

 

"Ah that's right, you're the orange oompa loompa!" Kyuhyun said with a roar of laughter.

"That's not funny anymore Kyuhyun!" Sungmin protested with another pout,"you can't call me orange anymore, I'm blonde now."

 

Kyuhyun laughed,"No can do, you see I have the image of you imprinted into my brain.. "

 

"You were galloping towards me with your orange hair wrapped in that ridiculously green beanie, demanding I got into your pink excuse for a car," He finished with a chuckle.

 

Sungmin sighed,"You're never gonna let me forget that one, are you?"

 

"Nope," Kyuhyun enunciated with a grin as Sungmin simply rolled his eyes and elbowed him away.

 

A complacent aspect of silence settled amongst the two men, as their feet crunched against the frosted path. Sungmin took a deep breath of the crisp mountain wind that gently blew against them, ruffling their mufflers and scarfs with it's strength. 

 

"It's nice here, isn't it?" Kyuhyun spoke softly, glancing at his companion with a small smile. 

"Even better with you," Sungmin answered with a smile, as Kyuhyun chuckled graciously. 

 

As they continued their walk down the snowy terrain, Sungmin spoke with an air of urgency in his voice,"I think I recognize this path, this is close to the pond where Sunny and I used to ice skate!" 

 

Kyuhyun looked at the excited little man in curiosity and quirked up an eyebrow in question,"What?"

 

"The pond, Kyuhyun! In the winter, the pond freezes over completely and it's mighty fine to slap on our blades to our feet and just cruise around the length," Sungmin answered dreamily, his eyes twinkling in mirth as he reminisced about the past year's December holidays.

 

"I've never ice-skated before," Kyuhyun said thoughtfully, oblivious to the growing horror on Sungmin's face.

 

"Never? Like ever? Nada, Squat, Zilch?"

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and muttered fondly,"I believe I know what never means, Sungmin."

 

"Oh come on, Kyuhyun!" Sungmin shouted in exasperation,"It's so great, you'll regret living for so long without skating!" 

 

"I doubt 'not ice-skating' is a good enough reason for me to regret living, Sungmin." Kyuhyun replied stubbornly. "And I'm sure I have no balance so I'll just make a fool out of myself.

 

"Alright, alright. You might even fall on your a hundred of times but it's nothing that your fat can't handle, right? Am I right or what?"Sungmin jabbed his elbow to Kyuhyun's stomach a couple of times and wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes,"I'm not a fat ."

"Sure you are, fat Kyuhyun! You call me names too, so it's only fair I get some to call you too," Sungmin boasted heartlessly.

 

Kyuhyun sighed resignedly,"I'm not even sure that the pond is safe right now, for us to mess around on, Sungmin."

 

"What are you talking about, Kyuhyun? Of course the pond is safe, Sunny and I've been skating over the frozen pond since we were seven! You're just making up excuses." Sungmin accused him with a frown.

 

"Maybe I am," Kyuhyun admitted.

 

"But seriously though, I don't think it's safe for us to venture out at night."

 

Sungmin huffed out impatiently,"You're wrong obviously, I tell you Kyuhyun it's completely safe. Let me show you."

 

And before Kyuhyun could get a word in, Sungmin stepped on the iced plane of the pond and smirked,"Huh? Huh? Do I hear something?" 

Kyuhyun watched Sungmin as the latter stuck his tongue out and proceeded to jump on the icy plane thrice for added effect.

 

"Alright, alright I admit you were right. Now get back here Sungmin!" Kyuhyun called out as the shorter male ventured further onto the smooth ice. 
 

"You can't make me!" Sungmin shouted back in glee as he walked further towards the middle of the pond.

 

"Kyuhyun, I'm telling you - "

 

And then Kyuhyun heard a faint sound that caused his blood to freeze over.  

 

"Sungmin, get over here right now!" Kyuhyun roared. 

 

"I'm fine, Kyuhyun. Don't get your in a bunch," Sungmin giggled merrily as he stepped his foot out. 

 

"The ice is thin." Barely had Kyuhyun finished his sentence than the ground beneath Sungmin's feet began to gave away.

 

A look of pure horror came across Sungmin's face as he tried to take a step back. The sound of the ice cracking was deafening in the silence of the night.

 

"Stop moving, Sungmin. Just keep calm, we'll figure out a way out of this, I swear!" Kyuhyun shouted.

 

"Kyuhyun," Sungmin took two steps back in panic and the next thing he knew, he was immersed waist deep into the icy cold water. His body felt as though it had been shocked by electricity, like a thousand needles were being pierced into his skin everywhere, and he hyperventilated.

 

"Sungmin? SUNGMIN!" Kyuhyun screamed out. 

 

Sungmin flailed his arms about helplessly, his thick woollen sweater weighing him deeper into the freezing cold water. Soon he found himself in neck- deep in the pond, unable to do anything with his arms feeling like they've been injected with lead. He could not do anything.

 

Kyuhyun paced around furiously at the brink of the ice pond, feeling so frightened about the situation but knowing that him panicking would do no good to the both of them. He clenched his fist tightly and shouted,"Sungmin? I need you to listen to my voice, alright? Just pay attention to my voice, that's all."

 

He knew that at the rate with which Sungmin kept hyperventilating, it wouldn't be long until the man would be fully submerged under water with the ice reforming above him. If that were to happen, heavens forbid.. it would be doomsday.

 

"Take deep breaths, Sungmin. I'm here, I'm right here. Just keep listening to me and relax," Kyuhyun called out calmly, already disentangling his scarf off his neck. He made a loop out of his scarf quickly while speaking soothing words to Sungmin the entire time.

 

Sungmin pursed his lips and tried to listen to Kyuhyun's instructions but it was getting harder and harder to focus on the man's voice. His eyesight was now tinted with shades of black, the tip of his nose blue and his teeth were chattering violently from the extreme cold.

 

Kyuhyun said a small prayer to the gods and stepped on the ice cautiously, he knew he had to be as gentle as he possibly could be. Running back to the house for help was not wise, seeing that Sungmin might hyperventilate in solitude so he had to rescue him all on his own. 

 

"I'm coming, Sungmin. Remember to take deep breaths, I'm here." Kyuhyun kept repeating his sentences. 

 

"You're not alone, Sungmin. I'm here with you and we're gonna get through this together alright?" 

 

Sungmin could barely nod at Kyuhyun's words, having no energy for even a smallest movement of his muscles. Seeing Sungmin's eyes fluttering, Kyuhyun knew that his words were having the desired effect on his companion. 

 

Kyuhyun threw the looped scarf as far as he could possibly in Sungmin's direction and released a breath as it flew close to the spot where Sungmin was trying to keep float. 

 

"Take hold of this Sungmin, I'm gonna pull you out okay?" Kyuhyun shouted out urgently. Sungmin's fingers scrambled above the icy plane - trying to find purchase of the fabric. His fingers were trembling as he managed to wrap them around the loop of the scarf. 

 

"You're almost there Sungmin, everything is gonna be alright I promise you," Kyuhyun spoke encouragingly, tightening his grip on the scarf and pulling makeshift rope with all his might.

 

Kyuhyun's heart thumped violently against his ribcage as he pulled and pulled, feeling the adrenaline kick in as Sungmin's body started to resurface from the dark hole in the icy plane of the pond.

 

"You can do this, Sungmin. We can do this." 

 

Hardly had Kyuhyun spoken than an ominous crack sounded and then..... everything came to a standstill.

 

-tbc-