Chapter 5

When Worlds Collide

Chapter 5

 

"My Mandarin is still terrible so I have no idea what you two are saying, but it doesn't seem very nice" Yesung interrupted, looking at the two intently, hand on Luhan's shoulder trying to smile at him, looking on as the fire died in his eyes, Kris coughing awkwardly before he looked away.

Yesung was busy telling Kyuhyun to stop being an idiot when he heard what seemed to be a small argument, the two behind them having stopped walking and were basically glaring at each other. Kyuhyun of course, thought that was the perfect time to laugh because the height difference was nearly comical, but Yesung was a little more concerned that his dongsaengs were getting mad at each other and so caught up in their argument that they failed to realize that they were still in a public place.

They were far from inappropriate and not especially loud, but Yesung knew better than to let them continue to regard each other that way out in the open. Whilst it was awkward as hell to interrupt, he thought it the right course of action for a hyung. Kyuhyun was more than satisfied to chuckle at the awkwardness of Yesung's expression and the looks of horror on the other men faces when they realized what had happened.

"Hyung we-well…we--" Luhan tried to explain, cheeks heating up in embarrassment, Yesung now smiling a little mischievously, probably amused by his stuttering, feeling even more embarrassed, eyes on the ground, Kris coughing awkwardly next to him….useless….some leader he was.

Sometimes he really hated Kris.

 The idiot oaf always caused him to react emotionally and not with his head and caused him to be unpredictable. It was why he had such a hard time with him. No one was supposed to be able to make him lose his control and Kris did it easily and with no effort. He could punch him, that would probably lead to more embarrassment, the embarrassment choking already, wanting Kris to do something.

"We were just talking about something and forgot ourselves. Sorry" Kris managed to explain without sounding like a stuttering idiot and Luhan actually despised him then, turning to glare just because Kris was accustomed to answering under pressure, and now he made him look like an idiot. He was only comforted by the fact that Kris blushed too and looked ready to die.

 It was a small solace but better than none.

"That's alright, but it's better to glare at each other in the dorms" Yesung joked, though he meant his words. Rumours started that way and even years later it remained in the fandom's consciousness and it was hard to defeat, leading to crazy speculations and awkwardness.

 He really had no idea what they were talking about, but he figured it came from a good place, both looking more defeated than truly angry. Perhaps they were discussing what happened? He really didn't know and didn't care to speculate, but devised that maybe they needed a second to clear their thoughts, wrapping an arm around Luhan's shoulder, ignoring Kyuhyun's raised eyebrow, smiling at the surprised man, intending to make him relaxed than more uneasy, shaking his head when  Luhan tried to apologize, instead taking a few steps forward, Luhan falling in line with him, only a awkward glance at Kris.

"I actually came over to ask you how you were and I totally forgot" Yesung conversed easily, smiling at Luhan, who had relaxed considerably, pushing his little disagreement with Kris behind him, grateful that Yesung was trying his best to ease all conflicts.

 Yesung for his part still felt uneasy, but he thought he did the right thing.

 At least it was better than sneaking away and going home and 'have fun' as Kyuhyun had suggested greasily, before he approached Kris and Luhan. He swore that child had a one track mind, still looking displeased that his plan was not accepted. Yesung was too much of a nice guy to just leave them there and he had in fact invited them to coffee so that would have been rude, but Kyuhyun still found the whole idea to be annoying.

"You still haven't asked me how I am Hyung" Luhan teased, his natural instinct taking over before he could stop himself, slightly mortified when he realized what he had said, giving Yesung a sheepish look , which was the last straw, Yesung giggling.

"I forgot again" Yesung laughed, warm and bright, Luhan laughing with him, both easing into comfort.

"You can ask me now" Luhan prompted with a smile, eyes bright and playful, Yesung nodding with a giggle.

"How are you Luhan ah?" Yesung finally asked, with mock seriousness, his tone making Luhan giggle too, the both forgetting the sulky Kris and the less than happy Kyuhyun behind them.

Unlike Luhan and Yesung, Kris and Kyuhyun had come to silent mutual understanding that they really did not care to speak to each other and unbeknownst to the other, both really rather be anywhere else than stuck with each other.

Kyuhyun still rather envisioned himself having a nice walk along a deserted path, small hand locked in his, whispered words and a blushing Yesung threatening to smack him, leaning against his side, a warm cup of cheap tea and then they would go home and he would kiss him until they were too tired to do anything but sleep.

Spending the evening watching Yesung giggle with a freakishly pretty pixie was not his idea of fun, especially since he really didn't like the man next to him right now. He was still mad that he had hurt Yesung and the fact that he was like a brooding giant did nothing to make that feeling better.

It was in dead silence between each other that they finally cleared the path and found themselves along the strip, Kyuhyun assuming that Yesung knew where he was leading them, a few night shops in the area, so they would easily find a coffee shop, the area thankfully mildly populated, so no one gave them any particular looks, Kyuhyun glancing at the man next to him, and actually feeling pity.

 Kyuhyun could see him staring at the back of his bandmate's head and whilst he didn't disclose it to Yesung, had a fair idea what they were discussing when their tempers rose a little, his skill in Mandarin offering him that leisure, lending him some understanding of the matter. He could see the set of the man's jaw and the frown that marred otherwise impeccable features, Kyuhyun anger pushed to the side a little, just feeling sort of sorry for him.

Kyuhyun had no idea what sort of relationship Kris had with Luhan and he really couldn't care less, but he knew what that was like. Wanting to help someone and trying to protect the ones you loved and then getting into a fights because of good intentions. He knew that it was never easy to have that sort of feeling and his own experiences made him very sympathetic.

Kris was clearly affected by the conversation that Yesung interrupted and Kyuhyun could understand the younger man's confusion and frustration, his expression a little pitiful, Kyuhyun supposing a good deed couldn't hurt.

"There is nothing wrong with protecting the people you love" Kyuhyun said, turning to look at the man next to him that actually flinched at his words, likely from shock, but Kyuhyun still glared at him, not liking the way he was regarded and the base anger still there, trying to say the words with little involvement as possible.

"Sunbaenim-" Kris responded, a little taken aback by what was just said to him, his steps stilled, looking at Kyuhyun with wide eyes.

 Kyuhyun had just nearly given him a heart attack and terror was steadily raising in his throat.

He and Luhan had never discussed the type of relationship that existed and whilst he had a faint idea what the flutters in his chest and that sinking feeling in his stomach was he was never brave enough to call it 'love' and he probably never would because Luhan would freak out if that was discovered then. Kris's heart in his mouth, mind flashing at all his interaction, wondering if he had done anything to give off that impression, wanting to face palm when he realized that it was every freaking thing and now Luhan would never speak to him again and act all friendly but be a cold and maybe that was just the universe's way of saying that he didn't deserve to be happy, the panic bubbling just beneath the surface.

"You’re the leader right? There is nothing wrong with protecting your bandmates, whether they think they need the protection or not. " Kyuhyun spoke once more, cutting him off, not really caring to deal with the panic that he had seen rising.

Whilst he didn't care, that didn't mean he was a fool, storing that information away for later use if necessary.

By then he knew Kris was smart.

 It was highly possible Kris had figured out more than he let on, and Kyuhyun had to take some responsibility for that. He was the one that had created the situation and had continued it today, so he couldn't blame Kris entirely. He was just thankful the idiot was smart enough to keep his mouth shut and act ignorant of what he knew or suspected.

Kyuhyun though now had a better understanding as to why Kris stayed quiet.

It seemed that he had a secret of his own, or at least something that he wouldn't want to lose. It was therefore mutually beneficial if they both stayed quiet, Kyuhyun giving Kris a meaningful look, silent but effective.

"Thank you sunbaenim" Kris spoke in gratitude, grateful for something and everything, thankful for the reassurance and the silent promise, the understanding and the forgiveness…well…maybe not forgiveness because Kyuhyun still sneered at him, but he figured that he deserved that one for hurting Yesung.

Whatever it was that provoked Kyuhyun to say those things to him, the end result was his gratitude.

"It's obvious that neither of us want to be here for long, so let's just try to get this over with okay?" Kyuhyun suggested, straight to the point, seeing no need to beat around the brush.

He didn't know what he and Yesung had interrupted, but he was fairly certain that Kris was still uncomfortable with them and would much prefer to be with Luhan and Kyuhyun had that point had no qualms about making it clear that he rather just go home with Yesung as soon as possible.

There was no need to go into the explanations or to ask why, the silent agreement making that null and void.

 They were on the same page, and Kyuhyun figured it was better if they just assisted each other in getting what they wanted, the café that Yesung favoured up ahead, Kyuhyun hearing him telling Luhan about the place and the times he had visited it with Leeteuk in the early years, trying not to be annoyed at how those old memories made Yesung happy.

He didn't begrudge him those moments, just that he really wanted some memories of him at the river to be made as well, but a golden opportunity was once more ruined, Kyuhyun resisting the urge to glare at Kris for his part in the whole thing.

"Okay" Kris accepted, what really ought to have been an unholy alliance, but he could see the benefit in it.

 He had no problem keeping his conclusions about Yesung and Kyuhyun's relationship to himself and clearly Kyuhyun was willing to ignore him and Luhan as well, a favourable outcome for them both and if they extended it so that they got to leave even better.

With a curt nod Kyuhyun ended the discussion there, seeing no need to add more to it, instead taking the few steps ahead to met up with the other two, who were now trading training stories, Yesung excitedly waving around as he recounted some of Donghae's less than stellar moments, nearly missing the café as he regaled his captive audience, Kyuhyun placing a hand on his shoulder, guiding him and by extension Luhan into the small coffee shop, Kris following behind them.


A/N: This chapter is very short but its an important one. I want to finish up with this story soon, so chapters will be more frequent...more than likely once a day.  Also, I referred to an incident that occurred in a previous story called 'The Ambush'...for those of you that know it, you all will understand what they are referring to.