Scattered shadows

The Cruel

Taemin had been walking around for about an hour now. His head still pounded from where he’d been hit. Why had those men hit him? And now Onew was missing.
He hoped he’d find Key (since he was headed in the same direction Key was), but there was still no sign of him. Taemin only hoped that Minho and Jonghyun had been able to find someone to help, because he was feeling more and more creeped out by the abandoned town.

Taemin looked up again at the sky, falling ash speckled his cheeks. It had looked like snow at first but as soon as he’d realized it wasn’t cold enough for that, he knew that it was ash. From where? He honestly didn’t want to know. The fog was getting worse the further Taemin walked. To his left was an old house, the door was slightly open. Taemin only noticed it because a small scream came from inside, making him lurch in fright. Taemin’s heart pounded harder and harder as he forced himself towards the front door, keeping the promise to himself to be brave in the face of danger.
Suddenly he heard the scream again, more pronounced, and definitely coming from inside the house. It sounded like a child’s scream. Taemin quickened his pace to a run to get to the source of the scream. He ran through the front door but immediately slowed when he saw the inside of the house. It was dark and morbid looking. Fear skittered up Taemin’s spine as he took a step forward. He was proud of himself for coming this far. A small sob urged Taemin down the passage way into the lounge.
There, in the corner of the room, a small girl, no older than five, sat with her legs up against her chest. Her eyes widened as she noticed Taemin but they soon went back to the spot she was focusing on behind him.

A strange laugh made Taemin spin around to see an odd shadow on the wall. It flittered away as soon as his eyes collided with it. Taemin looked around quickly to see where it was coming from yet no one was casting the shadow and it couldn’t have been his own. It was gone. Taemin turned back to the girl. She was looking up at him with fear painted across her pale face. Her blonde hair came down beside her in long waves as she sat against the wall. Taemin walked closer making her flinch. He stopped. “I won’t hurt you.” He said softly making the girl’s face change from scared to confused.
“What’s your name?” Taemin said, taking one step forward.
“What?” The girl replied in English. Taemin realized that she didn’t understand him.
“Hello. I won’t hurt you.” Taemin said with a heavy accent. The child looked a little less afraid, but still confused. “You speak funny.”
Taemin wasn’t exactly sure what she meant but he guessed it was his accent. He’d have to try to pronounce it better if he was going to communicate with the native people of this place.
“I’m not from here.” Taemin smiled. The girl peeked her head out more from behind her knees.
“Where are your parents?” Taemin knelt down beside her.
The girl lowered her head. “I don’t know.”

Another shape skittered past Taemin and the girl gasped, sending Taemin’s heart down a path of destruction as he spun around, still in a crouching position, to protect her and look for who or what it was that was causing such fear. It was gone again. Taemin’s mind ran through possibilities of what it could be. The world of ghosts became more of a possibility. In an abandoned, foggy town there had to be ghosts, right? There was no other explanation than the supernatural, (in which Taemin was a firm believer). He’d have to take the girl with him in his search for the others. There was no other option. She couldn’t stay there by herself with all those ghosts around. Taemin looked at the girl again, smiling so that she wasn’t scared of him, which wasn’t a hard task. “I’m looking for my friends. Would you like to come with me?”
The girl nodded vigorously, “Yes please.” Taemin smiled brighter than before. She trusted him already.
   ------------------------------------------T_T-----------------------------------------
Onew had lost track of how long he’d been in the window-less hotel room. Two, three hours maybe? He’d shouted for help, he’d tried to pick the lock, he’d even tried to knock the door down but all that resulted in was a sore shoulder. He sat in the huge armchair beside the door, pondering what to do next but before he could ponder too long the door swung open suddenly making him jump out of the chair.
Onew froze when a few men with toxic-masks came into the room. Then a woman entered. She looked like she came straight out of the 50’s. She reminded Onew of a woman in an American movie he saw a while ago. Onew smiled politely. The woman smiled back condescendingly.

“Hello. What is your name?” She stood in front of Onew, folding her hands.
“Onew.” he swallowed, letting his eyes wonder to the three other men in the room.
“That’s a rather strange name.” Onew didn’t reply. “My names Christabella.”
She walked further in to the room, looking around as if she’d never seen it before. “We’d like to know why you’re here.”
Onew was thankful for the extra English classes that they took when they went to Paris. He could understand what she was saying mostly. “We were kidnapped.”
“We?” The woman turned to the men and they backed away with slight fear. “Well where are the others?” She asked forcefully.
“The boy that was with him… he… he looked like him.” The man ended in a whisper.
“How is that possible?” The woman said to herself, looking at the floor. Then, as if woken from a daydream, she looked at Onew again. “Who did you come here with, was it just the two of you?”
“Sorry?” Onew asked, she’d spoken too fast for him to keep up.
“Who is with you here?” She said slowly and violently.
Onew thought about what he’d seen so far of this woman. He didn’t feel safe since they already knew about Taemin… but they didn’t have to know about Key, Minho or Jonghyun.
“Just Taemin. And a driver who kidnapped us.”
“Taemin.” The woman said his name and looked at the men. “Find him. Before the others do.”
“Can I go now?” Onew asked as they turned to walk. The woman turned and thought about it then smiled. She gave the men a look. “Yes, let’s take him with us. We wouldn’t want to leave him in here when it gets too dark.”
Before Onew knew what was happening one of the men knocked him unconscious.

___________________________________

Sorry it's taken me so long to update v.v  been really distracted with Jongho lately
lot's more to come.

comments appreciated <3