Dead end

The Cruel

Jjong walked on the left, beside Minho, in the dark. He could still see the van if he turned around and pointed the flashlight in its direction. He heard a rustling noise in the forest to his left and for a second wondered if it was a good idea to have left the rest of them after all. But the adrenaline was still strong in his body and he knew that Minho was also using his own adrenaline rush, not to run back to the van, but to carry on down the virtually pitch-black road.
A thought was bothering Minho. What were those dark figures earlier? And more importantly where did they go. Suddenly there was a louder rustling noise and Jonghyun AND Minho heard it this time. They both switched their torches on. A squirrel ran across the road in front of them, giving the boys a fright.
Jonghyun swore under his breath making Minho let out a small chuckle. "It was just a squirrel hyung."
Jonghyun rolled his eyes. "No, I just realized we took both flashlights. They don't have any back there."
"Oh."
"Do you think we should-"
“No, let’s just move a little faster.” Minho said, turning to Jonghyun with a serious expression. Jonghyun nodded. “Okay.”
It wasn't like they were going to leave the van anyway.


They walked faster down the road until Jonghyun decided to run. Minho caught up and ran along side. If they ran, surely they’d find help faster? Ten minutes later the van was long out of sight and they could make out a change in the road ahead. They slowed their pace as they neared.
“What's that?” Jonghyun asked as he examined the strange way the road changed color. They walked even closer and then the light of their torches revealed something that neither of them wanted to believe.
“How is this possible?” Minho whispered, his voice even lower than usual. Jonghyun swallowed. It was literally a dead end. The road was cut off. And not just figuratively either. Bits of rubble and tar lined the edge. Now what? He walked even closer to the edge of the road. Minho took hold of his arm, so that Jonghyun didn’t loose balance and fall to the bottom of the endless pit below. They were definitely on a hill somewhere. Jonghyun couldn’t even imagine how it was possible. There was no more road. There was NO MORE ROAD. He tried to let it sink in. He suddenly felt dizzy standing so close to the edge of the newly made cliff. Thankfully Minho was able to pull him back from the edge before anything weird happened, like falling.
Minho thought about it logically. Had there been a road that they’d missed earlier. Maybe the driver hadn’t come this way after all. That was the only explanation that made sense.
“Maybe we missed a road back there. Come on, we’ll walk back.” Minho said putting his hands firmly on Jonghyun’s arms to steady his swaying body. Jonghyun felt better. Minho was right, there was a turn they missed, there had to be..
As Minho turned to walk away Jonghyun grabbed his arm. Minho turned to see Jonghyun’s gaze frozen on something beside the edge of the road. Minho looked as well, his heart beating in his throat. A dark shape got up and started walking towards them, extremely slowly. Jonghyun’s hands shook as he began to point the flashlight at the shape. Minho wasn’t sure at first of what he was seeing. It couldn’t be described as a shape anymore. It was a creature. Jonghyun wanted to run as fast as he could back to the car but he was still frozen in place. He waited for the fight or flight system to kick in.. but it didn’t happen. Both Jonghyun and Minho’s flashlights flickered a few times, then went out so that they could no longer see the small creature with twisted limbs and gray skin writhe towards them. They could only hear it.
                                          --------------------------------------------T_T---------------------------------------------
Key and Onew had been comforting Taemin for the past ten minutes. “They’ll be back soon don’t worry.” Key said as Onew patted Taemin’s back. Taemin nodded. He felt like such a kid when he got all scared like this. It was time to be a man. He had to stop being so scared. He should’ve gone with his hyung’s and not just stayed in the safety of the car. He’d be 18 in 10 days! And this was how he was acting.. Taemin felt ashamed of himself.
Twenty minutes later Key was beginning to feel a little anxious. “Why are they taking so long?”
“They’re not sprinting. Give them time to find someone to help.” Onew said as he turned the key to start the van engine again.
“Hey Hyung maybe someone needs to push the car to get it to start.” Taemin said remembering lots of movies where that was the case.
“Hmm. That could work.” Onew said thoughtfully.
“Let me try.” Taemin said, already feeling his stomach sink at the thought of having to go outside. But he’d be brave, starting now.
“ANIO!” Key said adamantly. “If anyone’s going it’s me.” He sighed loudly. “Ah really, Lee Taemin. Do you think I’d let you go out there?” Key sighed again then got out the van once Onew unlocked it.
“Wouldn’t it be easier if I helped?” Taemin asked Onew as Key slammed the door shut.
“Don’t even try to go out.” Onew said shaking his head. Taemin crossed his arms in irritation.
Key felt the cold air creep down his spine but he ignored it, letting his anger push him forward without fear of the dark. He’d forgotten his jacket inside the van but there was no way he was getting back in there with Taemin, who was lashing out at him again and Onew who was misusing his Hyung status. If no one wanted to listen to anything Key had to say.. he’d just get something done by himself. Infact.. Why not just go find help by himself? Maybe walk in the OTHER direction instead of the way Jonghyun and Minho went. Key pulled up his sleeves and began to push the van from behind. Onew had released the hand brake so that the car could roll. Key pushed it as hard as he could but it was slightly uphill so it was even harder. Onew tried to get the car to work with each turn of the key. He pumped the gas pedal but still nothing happened. Key stopped pushing the car when he felt the parking brake stop the car dead in its tracks. So Onew had given up already? Key was feeling hotter now that he’d exerted himself and was glad that he didn’t have his jacket on. Even his hoodie seemed too much. Key walked around to open the door again. He leaned in and took Taemin’s phone from the seat without saying anything. He knew Taemin was in a bad mood but he still wouldn’t let him go outside. It could be dangerous. Before Onew had the chance to ask Key what he was doing the van door slid shut again.
Key turned the phone’s ‘torch’ application on and used it to check the engine of the van. Key lifted the heavy metal easily and looked inside. He wasn’t sure what he was looking for but he wanted to do anything except sit inside the van waiting around for the others to return.
Onew sighed. Did Kibum even know how an engine worked? Why was he still out there? Onew rolled the window down to talk to Key. All he could see through the windscreen was a faint light behind a piece of metal which was the car’s hood. “Do you even know what you’re doing?” Onew asked.
“I will if you let me concentrate.”
“Just get back inside Key.”
“So you’re making me stay but you let Jonghyun and Minho just do what they want?” Onew sighed. “Well, I don’t think it’s fair.” Key finished.
Suddenly the van’s hood banged closed with a loud thud giving Onew and Taemin a fright. Onew looked out the front window again. Key was gone.
“Key! Don’t be like that. Jonghyun and Minho will be back soon then we can go home.” Onew shouted out the window.
“What happened?” Taemin asked, sitting up.
Onew closed his window. He wasn’t going to try to talk Key out of it anymore. If he knew from experience, Key would do what he wanted, no matter what people said. “He’s gone to go find help by himself.” Onew said with a tired voice. Being the leader was hard work..