Abandoned

The Cruel

Key was still confused. What was Jonghyun saying? Was this another prank? He turned around again to look out the back window this time. Not even a faint light could be made out, it was complete darkness. Key took out his phone to check the time.
“Do you have a signal?” Jonghyun asked, hopefully.
“No.” Key said letting the situation sink in. “Where’s the driver?”
“He got out and ran away.” Minho said taking Taemin’s cell phone to check as well. Onew did the same. Nothing.
“What should we do?” Taemin asked, breaking the nervous silence.
Suddenly Jonghyun had an idea. He quickly climbed over the seat into the front area of the car, getting into the driver’s seat. He hit the auto-lock button quickly so that no one could get in then felt around for the key’s. For the first time since Jin’s text he felt hopeful. Even though he wasn’t a very good driver (due to lack of practice), he could drive them in the opposite direction, leaving this creepy, deserted forest, and get back to civilization.
Jonghyun turned the key to the ignition and the car stuttered to life for an instant before dying again. He tried again and again as Onew climbed into the front with him.
“Look for a flashlight.” Key said climbing into the back area of the car. He tried not to look out the window but curiosity got the best of him. When he looked, and as his eyes got used to the lack of light, he could suddenly make out a figure standing a few meters away from the car. Key let out a small yelp and ducked down. The rest of the boys looked back.
“What?” Minho whispered.
“There’s someone behind us, standing out there.” Key whispered back.
Jonghyun froze as he slowly looked out the front window. He tapped Onew’s knee to get his attention.
Onew looked away from the back window to see Jonghyun’s fatal expression. He followed his gaze to see another dark figure standing not even ten meters away.
“There’s another one in front.” Onew whispered so that the rest of the members turned to look.
Every one was thinking the same thing now.. But they didn’t dare to look. Taemin was the only one left in the middle section of the van now. He let adrenaline guide his gaze, as adrenaline was the only thing left not letting him curl into a ball of fear. He slowly turned his head, which was right next to the window by now, to look outside. His worst nightmare came true. There, right next to his window, was a dark figure. Taemin screamed and backed away immediately, looking away from the figure to the van floor instead. In the split second that Taemin had seen it, he was sure that there was no face. That they had to have been wearing a mask because it was impossible for him to see no face at all -just a shape. Maybe he was seeing things, but it was doubtful they would all be hallucinating the same thing at the same time.
The members all backed away from the windows. Jonghyun tried to start the car again but to no avail. He wished he’d learnt how to hotwire a car. “I found two flashlights back here.” Key said, now focusing on the pile of junk in the back instead of looking out the window.
"Two flashlights?" Minho said incredulously. "Since when did we keep flashlights in the trunk."
"Apparently Jin has considered that one day we'd be in a situation like this." Onew muttered darkly.
“My phone has a light.” Taemin said quietly. Shock still present in his voice, but he knew he had to pull himself together. Even though he could never watch horror movies without panicking.. he would have to learn to deal with his fear now.

Five minutes later, after SHINee had looked through everything the car had to offer that could help them, they’d gotten back to the middle section of the car to plan what to do.
“I don’t know how to do that.” Minho said, looking at Onew like he was crazy. How could any of them know how to MAKE a radio from cell phone parts. It seemed like Onew’s sense of humor was still intact.
There was silence as no more valid ideas came to mind. Taemin had been quiet the whole time. Key looked at him. He couldn’t make out much but he could see that Taemin was staring at the floor still. He suddenly pulled Jonghyun so that he could swap seats with him and sit next to Taemin. He pulled him into a hug. “Don’t worry.” Key said, more to himself than Taemin or any of the others. Onew snuck a peak to his side. “Hey, there’s no one here anymore.”
Minho and Jonghyun looked around as well. There were no more dark figures surrounding the van. “One of us should walk to get help.” Onew said, peaking Jonghyun’s interest.
“Are you crazy!?” Key said looking at Onew.
“It would be an idea.” Jonghyun said looking out the window again.
“Hey, I have an idea. Let’s stay in the car until the sun comes up and not get killed.” Key felt Taemin flinch at his words. But it was the ugly truth, and Key didn’t lie.
“No one’s going to die.” Jonghyun said rolling his eyes at Key’s dramatics. “Can I go?” Jonghyun said, feeling the adrenaline pumping through him again.
“No!” Key said adamantly.
Jonghyun looked at Onew. “Both of us should go.” Onew said, ignoring the invisible glare that he knew he’d earned from Key.
“Since we are the oldest wouldn’t it be better for one of us to stay here?” Jonghyun said to Onew and then looked at Minho. Minho knew what Jonghyun was saying.
“Okay.” Minho said and bent down to take the other flashlight.
“Minho. Jonghyun. No.” Key said, trying to get them to listen.
“Sorry Kibum-ah. Hyung’s idea.”
“Ah really. If I was older..” Key trailed off, realizing that he couldn’t stop them.
“Be careful.” Taemin said as Jonghyun climbed into the front to open the locks.
“We will. Someone lock the car again as soon as we’re out.” Jonghyun said, opening the door. It was really cold. “Here.” Minho said handing Jonghyun his jacket while he put his own on.
“What are you going to look for?” Key asked, a bad feeling spreading through him.
“Help.” Minho said, climbing out of the car.
“Wait.” Key said before Jonghyun closed the van door. What if this was the last time he saw his friends? ‘Don’t be crazy.’ Key thought to himself. ‘But just incase.’ Key hugged Jonghyun and then Minho and then got back into the van. “Please be careful.”
Jonghyun and Minho nodded in the dark. “We will.”