Chapter 4: Here2-1

Here and Gone

You shook your head and sat down. "I don't know." Then you placed your head in your hands as you cried.
Yongguk placed a hand on your shoulder and when you didn't push him away this time, he sat next to you and wrap an arm around you. "I'm sorry."
"I feel so horrible." you managed to choke out.
"You did what you thought you needed to do." he told you.
"It doesn't make me feel better." you retorted.
"I know." he agreed. "I'm sorry. That I made you do that alone."
You scoffed and wiped at your face. "Because you're a selfish jerk."
He winced a little but nodded. "Yeah I am. I was scared and ran away instead of taking responsibility." Then he cupped your face with one hand and gently turned your head to look at him. "I hate myself for hurting you like that."
"You should." you told him. Then something inside you broke and you threw yourself at him, wrapping your arms around him and burying your face in his chest. "I'm a horrible person. I feel like . Like I don't deserve to be here." you confessed, your tears soaking his shirt as he held you. "I'm just a piece of person who did the unthinkable."
"Stop." he firmly said as his arms tightened around you. "You're not a horrible person. You were just forced in to a bad position."
"That doesn't excuse what I did." you said.
He shifted so you were looking him in the eye. "You're not a horrible person." he reiterated. "I am for forcing you in to that. I walked out on you and that's inexcusable."
You your lips before wiping at your face. "You're here now." you whispered.
"Yeah." he said. Then he slid off the couch and to his knees on the floor before you. "I am so sorry. It was a mistake and I regret it. Let me make it up to you. Anything, just name it. I promise I want to be here for you."
You looked at him and saw not just guilt but sincerity in his eyes. "I have a follow up appointment."
"I'll be there." he said without hesitation.
You took in a shaky breath before forcing a small smile on your face. "Thank you."
He let out the breath he had been holding and laid his head in your lap. "Thank you. For the second chance."
You ran your hands through his hair. "What if... What if I had decided adoption?" you quietly asked.
He looked up at you and contemplated. "They'd probably end up in an orphanage or a foster home with the thousands of other children that never get adopted. Feeling unwanted."
"They'd still be..." you cut yourself off, unable to say the words.
"Don't." he said and quickly sat on the couch, hugging you again. "You were desperate. The only thing to do now is try to move forward."
"I've been trying." you said. "It's just so hard. Especially keeping it a secret. I lost count how many times I've almost broken down in front of people."
"I'm so sorry." he said. "I can't even begin to imagine what it's been like."
You closed your eyes and felt an all to familiar pain in your chest. "It was the worst day of my life." Then you took a deep breath. "And I'm sorry too."
"For what?"
"You lost a child as well." you quietly stated.
He didn't say anything for a moment before replying, "I don't blame you. I did it to myself and I can't say for certain if I had stuck around, I would have made a different decision than you. But I promise to never force you to make that decision alone again." Then he moved so he could whisper in your ear. "I'll be the man our child can be proud of."


You were so busy working you didn't notice Yongguk sneak up behind and you let out a frightened gasp when you turned around.
"Surprise." he said with a cheesy grin. Then he held up a single rose. "And surprise."
"Thanks." you shyly said and took it from him.
"Ugh. I wish I had a boyfriend that brought me flowers." your co-worker pouted. "But what are you doing bringing her flowers anyways?" she asked him.
He shrugged. "Do I need a reason to spoil my girl?"
"Only moms are suppose to receive flowers on Mother's Day." she retorted.
He rolled his eyes. "Again, do I need a reason to spoil my girl?" Then he smiled at you. "Besides, I'm sure she'll be a great mom some day. When she's ready."
You blushed at his words while your co-worker squealed in delight. "Oh that's so romantic!" Then she gave you a pointed look. "If you ever decide you don't want him, I have no problem taking him off your hands."
You gave her a pointed look as well. "Back off. He's mine."
She pouted once more before giggling and walking away. Then you turned your attention back to Yongguk but whatever you were going to say was stuck in your throat at the look he was giving you.
"I love you." he stated as he stared at you affectionately.
You blushed once more while a shy smile formed on your face. "I love you."
A big, gummy smile formed on his face and then he quickly hugged you. "I love you. I love you. I love you."
You laughed and hugged him. "I love you too silly."
Then he moved his lips by your ear. "And happy Mother's Day." he quietly whispered so no one else would hear.
A small ache formed in your chest, one that would never go away no matter how much time passed, but a small, grateful feeling formed as well. "Thank you."