8 The Bag

Red String

For a month now, Jay and Jessica met at the closed club, where they both dance as teacher and pupil. Jessica didn't mind it because she had reasons to be out of the house besides work. Especially, she's very happy since she gets to spend sometime with a handsome dude.

The day before the weekend, Jessica received a text from Jay that he has to cancel the dance class and to meet up around 6pm at a nearby cafe.


Around 5:30pm, Jessica reached her destination and decided to walk around before heading to the cafe to meet up with Jay. Strutting around the neighborhood, she came up to a busy alley with bargainning stalls side-by-side. Seeing such sight, Jessica took her chance to look around since it's her first time. Continuing to look at every stall, she, then, got attracted to one stall that sells chibi art, which Jessica was intrigued by it because the seller is the artist, too. As she continued to look around, she took notice of her watch that stated it was 7 minutes passed 6pm.

In a panic, the heiress left the noisy, crowded alley and ran to the cafe. From her sprint, her crossbody bag kept falling of her shoulder, so she decided to hold onto the bag letting a bit of the strap dangle. Not to far she spotted the cross-street that leads to the cafe, so Jessica ran to it not knowing that her grip onto her bag's strap was loosening. Focused to reach her destination before the pedestrian light turns red, she kept sprinting on despite getting tired.

Looking ahead of her, she felt a sudden tug after passing by a crowd coming from her left. The tug made Jessica's hand move to right of her because of her bag got caught onto something. Following the direction of her bag's strap, which was hooked onto a loose chain of a red backbag. Jessica ran to catch up to stop the person walking that her bag caught and it was Jay. The astonished boy seeing Jessica for he was expecting to see her at the cafe. 

Jessica asked, "Jay, what are doing here? I thought you'll be at the cafe already."

"Umm... shouldn't I be asking you that?" Jay responded and added on, "I'm guessing you went around the market?"

Jessica nodded to his question, which she asked if they should head to the cafe.

Jay shook his head and stated, "Since we are out and by the looks of the crowd not noticing you, let's take this opportunity to be one of the them. Yeah?"

Jessica excitedly responded with glee in both her voice and eyes. As Jay about to walk away, Jessica stopped and told him that they should unhinge their bags from each other to walk more comfortably.


From unhooking their bags, the two walked further into the crowded market being amongst them made Jessica feel invinsible, yet, amazing. Walking from stall to stall, Jay shared every little information he knew to the his curious companion. Sometimes he'd have to lean closer to her because of all the surrounding noise.

"Oh! You two are such a cute couple!" said Halmeoni (TRANS: Grandmother) owner of a shoe stall, while Jessica and Jay looked around the shop. 

Both were shocked and immediately denied the couple accusation, which the owner kept insisting by telling them that they'll have beautiful children. Since they couldn't stop the Halmeoni, all Jay and Jessica can do was accept it by nodding and smiling shyly to it. As they walked on, the crowd got thicker, to the point, Jay and Jessica ended up walking next to each other less than the 10 inches. Slowly, the 10 inches became lesser than before; then, someone bummed into Jessica. Jay, with his quick actions, got hold of Jessica from her back to bring her straight up. Then, pulled her close, with Jessica up front and him behind her gripped onto her shoulders.

Jay drew his face close her ear from the back and whispered, "People keeps bumming into you, so, I'll be just behind to catch you."

As Jay continued to whisper, Jessica felt her skin crawl at his closeness, "I think we should get out of here..." Jessica nodded as her response. "Just walk straight."


Safe from the street crowd and in the quiet, relaxing confines of a cafe, they took their seats and both gave a relaxed sigh as the waiter placed glasses of water onto their table.

"So, how's experiencing the night market?" Jay asked after drinking his water.

Jessica answered gleefuly, "Oh, I LOVE IT!!" She continued on excitedly, "I really love the street food, especially the tteokbokki. And, OH! The clothes! They are to die for!"

Jessica kept on describing all the new things she saw and felt about the night market, while Jay listened well. After a little quiet minute with Jessica taking a breather from all her detailed, excited expression of the night market, Jessica asked things to Jay.