1 The Tie

Red String

Waking up like any other day, Jessica got up from her bed and started her morning routine of washing up to eating breakfast and being driven to work. By 7:30 am, she arrived at her family's company; the headquarters, where every employee made way and bowed at her as she entered and passed them. At her office, Jessica walked straight to her desk and sat down behind it she took a seat on her rolling chair. Once seated, she leaned back on her seat, then, sighed at the day ahead of her full of papers to review, meetings and decision-making. So, she cleared her head and took in some deep breaths, when all of sudden her secretary barged in with 4 think folders at hand. 

"Secretary Kang," Jessica said as she approached, she gave her an icy glare. "You didn't knock. Next time, if your hands are full have someone knock the door or carry it for you."

Secretary Kang nodded as a reponse and put the folders down on the desk. She stepped aside and waited for Jessica's instructions.


Around 11:30am, during a break, Secretary Kang read out Jessica's schedule for the rest of the day. As her secretary continued to read out loud, Jessica blankly stared ahead of her. Slowly, an overwhelming feeling came over her that it was too much that Jessica screamed. Giving a shock, the secretary shut and froze at where she stood nervously.

Jessica rubbed the temple of her head and said, "I'm sorry. Please continue, Secretary Kang."

"Umm..." Secretary Kang replied shakily, "Director Jung, I'd rather not. May I suggest that you get your lunch outside?"

Jessica took a glance on her desk clock, nodded at the suggestion of her secretary and instructed Secretary Kang to join her. From Jessica's decision, the two head towards an Italian restuarant that is walking distance for lunch. Before going out the building, the security guard handed them umbrellas for protection from the July rainy weather day. Though, the rainy weather was not much of an uplifter to Jessica's mood; the walk made her stressful mood loosen up. Just ahead of her, Secretary Kang talking on the phone, Jessica just didn't want to hear the converstion in case the phone call was business related. Not too far, they'll reach their destination, just a crosswalk a way.

While Secretary Kang talked on the phone, stopped at their tracks because the red pedestrian light was on. Jessica looked ahead and across the streets passing-by vehicles, she noticed a handsome guy. The guy wasn't that tall but something about him attracted Jessica. Maybe the way he was loosening up his red tie. Then, an umbrella blocked her view just before she could get a better look at the guy's face.